BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
tapx
Rep
Drives: 01 525iT, 18 X3 m40i

Installed the MSS urban spring kit and thought I'd give some thoughts.

First about the car, it's a 2018 x3 m40i without dynamic suspension. I have the springs adjusted all the way low and have driven on them about 2 weeks now.

On smoother roads and over small bumps the car rides relatively the same. You can definitely feel imperfections in the road but nothing more than with oem springs. Over larger bumps you can feel the reduced travel and there is definitely some added harshness/bounciness. For spirited driving it feels good with the lowered center of gravity but wouldn't say it's any stiffer than before. Steering feels better as well and seems more responsive than before.

Overall, it rides great and if you've driven a lowered car before it's very similar.

Link to install for anyone that wants to DIY:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1791099
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      08-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
tapx
Rep

Some pictures for comparison with a stock height X3
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
X3MTB58.50
Bee Pee1779.00
Burr0013251.00
prototyp228.00
      08-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Looks great - is the front adjuster set as low as it will go?
Appreciate 1
tapx32.50
      08-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Looks amazing!
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 1
tapx32.50
      08-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
tapx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Looks great - is the front adjuster set as low as it will go?
Yup! All the way down!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
P3NS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapx View Post
Installed the MSS urban spring kit and thought I'd give some thoughts.

First about the car, it's a 2018 x3 m40i without dynamic suspension. I have the springs adjusted all the way low and have driven on them about 2 weeks now.

On smoother roads and over small bumps the car rides relatively the same. You can definitely feel imperfections in the road but nothing more than with oem springs. Over larger bumps you can feel the reduced travel and there is definitely some added harshness/bounciness. For spirited driving it feels good with the lowered center of gravity but wouldn't say it's any stiffer than before. Steering feels better as well and seems more responsive than before.

Overall, it rides great and if you've driven a lowered car before it's very similar.

Link to install for anyone that wants to DIY:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1791099
Just ordered a set for my x4. How has the long term been ? Both front a rear are at max low adjustment? Any tips for the install that would be helpful ?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #7
tapx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3NS View Post
Just ordered a set for my x4. How has the long term been ? Both front a rear are at max low adjustment? Any tips for the install that would be helpful ?
Hi sorry I don't check the forums as much as I used to. I am still using riding on the MSS lowering springs, but I have raised it about a 0.5". At the max low setting the ride is definitely harsher and most likely hitting the bump stops. After raising it that 0.5" the ride improved a lot while still maintaining a nice stance.

If you do go max low I would recommend leaving maybe 1 turn from the bottom in case you want to adjust it in the future. When I went to go adjust it the two collars were basically locked together and need a lot of persuasion to break loose from each other.

For the install the rear is pretty straight forward after removing some of the interior to reach the top hats. The front is also pretty straight forward until you go to remove the strut assembly. The clamp on the bottom of the strut is very tight and needs quite a bit of force. After you get that loose as you move the strut out be VERY careful that the joint in the half shaft/axle doesn't come loose as you wrestle out the strut. If you can I would recommend undoing the axle from the knuckle to give yourself more space to pull out the strut.

Hopefully this response came in before you got started! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:44 PM   #8
P3NS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi sorry I don't check the forums as much as I used to. I am still using riding on the MSS lowering springs, but I have raised it about a 0.5". At the max low setting the ride is definitely harsher and most likely hitting the bump stops. After raising it that 0.5" the ride improved a lot while still maintaining a nice stance.

If you do go max low I would recommend leaving maybe 1 turn from the bottom in case you want to adjust it in the future. When I went to go adjust it the two collars were basically locked together and need a lot of persuasion to break loose from each other.

For the install the rear is pretty straight forward after removing some of the interior to reach the top hats. The front is also pretty straight forward until you go to remove the strut assembly. The clamp on the bottom of the strut is very tight and needs quite a bit of force. After you get that loose as you move the strut out be VERY careful that the joint in the half shaft/axle doesn't come loose as you wrestle out the strut. If you can I would recommend undoing the axle from the knuckle to give yourself more space to pull out the strut.

Hopefully this response came in before you got started! Good luck!
Thanks for the response. I had trouble with the rears. The kit didn’t allow the black spring to seat all the way down on my strut (EDC struts) because the strut flairs out at the bottom so I had to use the MSS39 rubber pad to take up that space which left the rear, at max low setting, higher than stock and threw off one side alignment so bad it was dog walking. So I disassembled the rears the next day and custom milled the MSS39 pad to sit partially inside the bottom of the adjuster and installed without the black small springs. Adjusted ride height and so far it’s great. Stance is perfect, IMO and ride is good. Ben at RG sport was good help in contacting MSS and letting them know that the kit needs new black springs for the EDC shocks being the ones provided don’t fit over the flaired portion of the strut at the bottom. Added some pics. First is what my rears look like so you can see where it flairs out at the bottom and others to show what it was when installed first time (based on MSS instructions) then pics of my Modifications to the MSS39 pad to make it work. Lastly is a pic how she stands now with only a few miles and days so the springs need to settle and she will be a lil lower and I’ll get the alignment dialed in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Keefy1594.00
GGEVOX62.50
cto31.00
tapx32.50
methrx16.50
      05-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
tapx
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I had trouble with the rears. The kit didn’t allow the black spring to seat all the way down on my strut (EDC struts) because the strut flairs out at the bottom so I had to use the MSS39 rubber pad to take up that space which left the rear, at max low setting, higher than stock and threw off one side alignment so bad it was dog walking. So I disassembled the rears the next day and custom milled the MSS39 pad to sit partially inside the bottom of the adjuster and installed without the black small springs. Adjusted ride height and so far it’s great. Stance is perfect, IMO and ride is good. Ben at RG sport was good help in contacting MSS and letting them know that the kit needs new black springs for the EDC shocks being the ones provided don’t fit over the flaired portion of the strut at the bottom. Added some pics. First is what my rears look like so you can see where it flairs out at the bottom and others to show what it was when installed first time (based on MSS instructions) then pics of my Modifications to the MSS39 pad to make it work. Lastly is a pic how she stands now with only a few miles and days so the springs need to settle and she will be a lil lower and I’ll get the alignment dialed in.
I agree with the max low setting the stance was perfect. I didn't have EDC shocks so that might have played into the stiffness of the setup. Thanks for sharing those modifications for everyone else that might run into that issue.
The x4 looks great!
Appreciate 1
P3NS237.50
      05-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Somewhat off topic but what wheels are those? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
P3NS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I agree with the max low setting the stance was perfect. I didn't have EDC shocks so that might have played into the stiffness of the setup. Thanks for sharing those modifications for everyone else that might run into that issue.
The x4 looks great!
Thanks!
I would like to state that the modifications that I made were not as per MSS instruction. So in doing so, anyone doing this is solely responsible for the outcome. However, imo I think MSS should make what I did and include it in the kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #12
P3NS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
If this at me , The brand is Variant and the model is krypton.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #13
tapx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
If for me they're Aodhan AFF7's
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:35 PM   #14
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
If this at me , The brand is Variant and the model is krypton.
Quote:
If for me they're Aodhan AFF7's
My mistake - I was actually asking the OP (@tapx), thanks for sharing!
but I see yours now as well @P3NS and they are very nice as well.
Appreciate 1
tapx32.50
      07-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Nice looking X4, the stance is near perfect! since you’ve had the MSS springs on a while now, would you still recommend them? and have they settled in any better?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #16
P3NS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Nice looking X4, the stance is near perfect! since you’ve had the MSS springs on a while now, would you still recommend them? and have they settled in any better?
Thanks. I love them. Still rides comfortable enough for a daily, improved handling, and a major improvement aesthetically with the lowering. I recommend them but you need to make sure you get the right kit (edc shocks or standard shocks) that is a big issue when it comes to install.
Appreciate 2
Keefy1594.00
      03-20-2024, 03:42 AM   #17
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Thanks. I love them. Still rides comfortable enough for a daily, improved handling, and a major improvement aesthetically with the lowering. I recommend them but you need to make sure you get the right kit (edc shocks or standard shocks) that is a big issue when it comes to install.
Great feedback.

As you removed MSS assister springs in the rear, did you trim/fit smaller rear bump stops at all ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:16 AM   #18
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Great feedback.

As you removed MSS assister springs in the rear, did you trim/fit smaller rear bump stops at all ?
Hey. Personally I really support you replying to a actual thread. VS just starting a whole new one because you have a simple question. Wish more users did that.

But the dude hasnt logged in in almost 1 year I dont think youre getting a response.

Appreciate 0