BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Reduced Driving Assistance

Has anyone else had this issue? I've had several times car popped up this notification saying all driving assistances have been reduced , visit a dealer for service.
Basically the center button for driving assistance turns to orange, but it will go away if i restart the car. At first i thought it was the dirt that interfered with the sensors but it happened several times already when car's clean.
      12-29-2018, 02:02 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
No, even in rain (not heavy) it all worked.
      12-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
Cruisejack
Rep
Drives: diesel X3

Reduced Driver Assistance

I drove 8k without ever having this problem to find that it was intermittently happening three or 4 times a week. The dealer updated all software hoping that this would fix the issue but unfortunately it hasn’t. Next week they are changing the Centre dash camera which is apparently where all the faults are emerging. Let’s hope this fixes the problem as it’s been very frustrating as it now gives the same error messages you receive every time I drive the car.

Would be very keen to here what the dealers have told you. I will share an update one I have the car looked at on the 4 th of January.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Has anyone else had this issue? I've had several times car popped up this notification saying all driving assistances have been reduced , visit a dealer for service. Basically the center button for driving assistance turns to orange, but it will go away if i restart the car. At first i thought it was the dirt that interfered with the sensors but it happened several times already when car's clean.
We've had it occur twice, and indeed the camera located in the rear view mirror housing was the culprit. First service call replaced the camera and it solved the issue completely. Some months later the issue arose once again, initially only intermittently, and then becoming more constant (remaining orange for longer periods). Second service call deemed the way in which the camera was secured in it's housing on the windshield was faulty, so the windshield was replaced and that solved the issue this time around. Back to working perfectly. Might mention this to your Service Advisor if they are having trouble identifying the cause. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 4
MechX3M40i1006.00
ando2002.00
tonymac1463.00
JoshV14.50
      12-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph.seychell@gmail.com View Post
I drove 8k without ever having this problem to find that it was intermittently happening three or 4 times a week. The dealer updated all software hoping that this would fix the issue but unfortunately it hasn’t. Next week they are changing the Centre dash camera which is apparently where all the faults are emerging. Let’s hope this fixes the problem as it’s been very frustrating as it now gives the same error messages you receive every time I drive the car.

Would be very keen to here what the dealers have told you. I will share an update one I have the car looked at on the 4 th of January.
I'm at 6k right now and this didn't occur until about 5k, I'll see what the dealer says and hopefully I won't have to replace too many parts
      12-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Has anyone else had this issue? I've had several times car popped up this notification saying all driving assistances have been reduced , visit a dealer for service. Basically the center button for driving assistance turns to orange, but it will go away if i restart the car. At first i thought it was the dirt that interfered with the sensors but it happened several times already when car's clean.
We've had it occur twice, and indeed the camera located in the rear view mirror housing was the culprit. First service call replaced the camera and it solved the issue completely. Some months later the issue arose once again, initially only intermittently, and then becoming more constant (remaining orange for longer periods). Second service call deemed the way in which the camera was secured in it's housing on the windshield was faulty, so the windshield was replaced and that solved the issue this time around. Back to working perfectly. Might mention this to your Service Advisor if they are having trouble identifying the cause. Keep us posted.
I'm amazed that this happened to a relatively new car... I couldn't understand how the camera could become faulty... guess this happens when car is too smart with all the techs lol
      12-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Just had the message pop up today at 2200 miles. The message popped up but the indicator light didn't change color. The message went away after about 30 seconds and none of the driving assistance functions seemed to have been reduced.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
bsperry92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 s30i

Garage List
2015 MINI Cooper  [0.00]
2019 X3 S30i  [0.00]
I had this happen at 6,600 miles during a very heavy rain storm and has not reoccurred (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #9
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

I haven't had that occur to me on the X3 yet, but it used to happen all the time on the F33. For me, it was usually some dirt obscuring the sensor, but there were two separate times where the F33 had to be taken to the dealer for a "sensor reset". Strange.
      12-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I would guess that heavy rain, snow, dirt, smudge or anything blocking in front of the camera or radar sensor would cause temporary interference resulting in the warning. It has not happened to me yet, but I always try to keep all lens of camera and sensors clean. It it ever happens to me without any obvious reason then an immediate trip back to the dealer is warranted.

OP - keep us posted and good luck!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4743.50
      01-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #11
Cruisejack
Rep

Problem Fixed

I had the car at the dealership on Friday and they found and fixed the fault. They found a short in the steering column that was triggering all the sensors off. Been driving for three days without any issue whilst previously the issue would occur every timeI drove the car.
Appreciate 1
JoshV14.50
      01-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph.seychell@gmail.com View Post
I had the car at the dealership on Friday and they found and fixed the fault. They found a short in the steering column that was triggering all the sensors off. Been driving for three days without any issue whilst previously the issue would occur every timeI drove the car.
Glad it was resolved for you. Did they change the center dash cam too as mentioned in your earlier post?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

This error can also happen when the front radar is obstructed with dirt. I had to clean my radar unit, then the error went away.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Cruisejack
Rep

No the camera did not have to be changed. Interestingly the dealer mentioned i was not the first to have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 - Ultimate Pkg- Canada

I had this issue first time at just over 2k in January That time dealer upgraded software to make Active Cruise Control to Passive. So after this software update in January, yesterday first time I took my X3 on highway again and started on Passive Cruise I.e. regular cruising at selected speed without distance control. After driving about 150 Kms I had same issue of reduced driver assistance and I couldn't even use cruise again. I stopped and restarted my X3 and everything was fine and normal. I drove less than 5 Kms and same warning of reduced driver assistance and not able to use cruise control again. I tried to restart one more time and exactly same issues after driving less than 5 KMS.

So software update in January didn't help at all. I will be taking my X3 to the dealer next week but I am not sure what they would do to fix this issue because they couldn't not fix it first time in January.

Any comments will be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:47 AM   #16
gregwolf5
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 bmw 530i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisejack View Post

My car is a 2024 5 series with less than 2 thousand miles and I just received that reduced driver assistance message !! Very annoying I restarted the computer system by holding the volume button down until the screen fades to black and restarted the car and it went away but I can see it coming back tbh
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:49 AM   #17
gregwolf5
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 bmw 530i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
Just had the message pop up today at 2200 miles. The message popped up but the indicator light didn't change color. The message went away after about 30 seconds and none of the driving assistance functions seemed to have been reduced.
Same my car has less than 2000 miles 2024 and I shut car off and turned back on and I hasn’t came back yet but I can see it coming back tbh !!
Appreciate 0