BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2024, 02:14 AM   #1
power
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

What to look for in a preowned 2018 X3

Hello all!
Found this super resourceful site while scouting the Internet for insights for buying a preowned 2018 X3.
I’m looking to buy a 2018 X3 with 81,000 miles, a clean Carfax report, and one owner. Everything looks good, test drive went great.
Please share your tips and insights on any red flags I should look for.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:43 AM   #2
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Do you have an inspection scheduled with your local independent BMW shop? That is a must. Most shops charge $150 to $200. They will inspect the car stem to stern. If you have the VIN, you can pull the Service records at any BMW dealer. Does he/she have the records?
while BMW has a decent reliability for the X3, I'd be wary of a first model year produced. Which engine does it have?
Appreciate 2
power0.00
Wgosma806.00
      03-21-2024, 03:29 AM   #3
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Service history, check mileage, insurance logs. Then go to the ramp to see suspension, overall state.
Appreciate 1
power0.00
      03-21-2024, 06:12 AM   #4
power
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
Do you have an inspection scheduled with your local independent BMW shop? That is a must. Most shops charge $150 to $200. They will inspect the car stem to stern. If you have the VIN, you can pull the Service records at any BMW dealer. Does he/she have the records?
while BMW has a decent reliability for the X3, I'd be wary of a first model year produced. Which engine does it have?
Thank you for the pointers. Am buying it from a BMW dealership, And it has been inspected already. It is not a certified preowned though because of the year, which is more than five years old.

The Carfax shows some service history, but some was missing, when I spoke with the sales person about this, he searched for it and reported back saying that all service was done at a local shop, but everything was done on time. He said that he cannot show us the records because that would reveal the identity of the previous owner.

After purchase, I do plan to take it to our local family owned shop who we trust and who do have experience with BMWs. We will be paying them to do a full inspection. If anything is amiss, the dealership gives a five day return policy.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 09:55 AM   #5
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
That's exactly the reverse of what you should do. You need to take it for a *pre* purchase inspection there, not assume you'll be fine with a post purchase and then returning it.
About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 10:08 AM   #6
power
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
That's exactly the reverse of what you should do. You need to take it for a *pre* purchase inspection there, not assume you'll be fine with a post purchase and then returning it.
Thank you!
Yes, that is what I would do normally. But this dealership is 2.5 hours from where I live and where our car mechanic’s workshop is. Pre-purchase will not work out unfortunately. It is a challenging market to buy a car. This one checked most boxes for me. The dealership showed me their report in which a water pump needed to be replaced and they have done it. In addition, they’ve put new tires and replaced 2 break pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:22 PM   #7
gphin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive30i, 2021 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Thank you!
Yes, that is what I would do normally. But this dealership is 2.5 hours from where I live and where our car mechanic’s workshop is. Pre-purchase will not work out unfortunately. It is a challenging market to buy a car. This one checked most boxes for me. The dealership showed me their report in which a water pump needed to be replaced and they have done it. In addition, they’ve put new tires and replaced 2 break pads.
I would make sure you get a copy of the "five day" return policy well in advance before you buy to confirm all details and no hidden exceptions, such as a mileage limit. Have it read by several people to ensure no hidden exception gimmicks in the fine print.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:18 PM   #8
power
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphin View Post
I would make sure you get a copy of the "five day" return policy well in advance before you buy to confirm all details and no hidden exceptions, such as a mileage limit. Have it read by several people to ensure no hidden exception gimmicks in the fine print.
That is an excellent tip, thank you so much! Your response came just in time.
Appreciate 0