BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
hrkahn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i Subaru STi

Stealth Trailer Hitch Tips & Suggestions

Got my stealth hitch installed today. Super excited to use the car as my new bike hauler but I was curious how other people setup their cars. I don't have a hitch extender or riser. I just put the rack directly into the stealth hitch adapter. I noticed some side to side play and that the rack (Thule T2 Pro XT 2) sat lower than on my other car. I just want to make sure I have everything setup correctly so I don't run into any issues.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
John Casey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i, 16 320i

Don't have a Stealth hitch on the X3 (yet). How was the install?

Have one on the F30 and really like it. Regarding the side to side play, I'm assuming you are talking about the hitch adapter itself and not the rack (as you should be able to tighten the rack into the receiver, I have a different brand but am able to tighten it down). There is a little side to side play with my Stealth hitch on the F30, but nothing too concerning. I've never had an issue with my Stealth hitch and rack setup, even with the slight play.

I can't imagine that your rack sits too low...especially when compared to those of us that use one on our sedans.

Does the rear hatch hit your bike when you have it in the forward-most tray (like in your photo)? I carry my bike on the rear-most tray in my F30 because I'm sure I'll forget to remove the bike before opening the tailgate one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

I have the Rockymounts split rail LS version of the same design, which has a ball that pushes against the hitch receiver to eliminate wiggle. Something like “StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer” on Amazon can achieve the same thing.

Getting the bike rack up higher with a hitch riser will only decrease mpg with no benefit.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
hrkahn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i Subaru STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post

Have one on the F30 and really like it. Regarding the side to side play, I'm assuming you are talking about the hitch adapter itself and not the rack (as you should be able to tighten the rack into the receiver, I have a different brand but am able to tighten it down). There is a little side to side play with my Stealth hitch on the F30, but nothing too concerning. I've never had an issue with my Stealth hitch and rack setup, even with the slight play.

I can't imagine that your rack sits too low...especially when compared to those of us that use one on our sedans.

Does the rear hatch hit your bike when you have it in the forward-most tray (like in your photo)? I carry my bike on the rear-most tray in my F30 because I'm sure I'll forget to remove the bike before opening the tailgate one day.
Install was a breeze. I watched the etrailer install video 100 times and it happened to be incredibly helpful. I figured the slight play wasn't anything to worry about. I finally went riding this week and was very happy with the whole setup. My bike rack actually folds down so I can open the trunk with the bike in the back position.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post

I'm selling my new/never installed stealth hitch if you're interested.
Appreciate 0