BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #89
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

So let me get this right, in the USA
1) The X3 is cheaper
2)M-sport includes DDC/VDC
3)A host of standard items which are options in other countries

That is so messed up BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #90
Cx35i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Just to clarify. You did NOT order it with the dynamic handling package and you are still able to adjust the dampers?
That's correct, I did NOT order the Dynamic Handling Package but do have DDC. Again, I'll take some pictures Saturday (or if I have time tonight) of the DDC options in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #91
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
So let me get this right, in the USA
1) The X3 is cheaper
2)M-sport includes DDC/VDC
3)A host of standard items which are options in other countries

That is so messed up BMW
1) & 2) are both true. 3) definitely isn't (e.g. leatherette seats).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #92
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
And they're forced to have those awful orange indicators!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #93
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

again if that was true then BMW wouldn't let you pay for the dynamic handling package once you have selected the M sport package...
Right now you get a $100 discount if you choose the m sport package

Secondly the M package would be cheaper or similar to sports + dynamic handling packages, whereas on all other cars BMW gets a premium to it.

For everyone that says they have DDC, is that based on having the switch/idrive OR a look at the actual suspension?
Just because the software/switch is there, which controls more than just dampening, does not mean it has DDC...

Last edited by silverforumsurf; 05-06-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #94
plastus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 Competition

Update: Spoke with BMW North America and the person stated that their system is showing ONLY Sport Variable Steering and Performance Control within the US market M-Sport Package. In order to get Electronic Damping Control you must get the Dynamic Handling Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #95
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Leatherette, parking distance, auto box, dual climate control etc are options.....
If US was RHD we would flock there in droves to order our M-Sports
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #96
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
again if that was true then BMW wouldn't let you pay for the dynamic handling package once you have selected the M sport package...

Secondly the M package would be cheaper or similar to sports + dynamic handling packages, whereas on all other cars BMW gets a premium to it.

For everyone that says they have DDC, is that based on having the switch/idrive OR a look at the actual suspension?
Just because the software/switch is there, which controls more than just dampening, does not mean it has DDC...
in the bmw.ca web site configurator, if one chooses the m-sport + DCP, there is no price reduction, so you pay both time for performance control?

same for premium + msport : you pay for xline but it gets superseeded by the "high gloss window shadow line" featured in the m-sport, and still no price reduction.

one other thing : is the throttle response time faster in sport mode only for auto transmission or does it affect semi-auto mode also?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #97
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
in the bmw.ca web site configurator, if one chooses the m-sport + DCP, there is no price reduction, so you pay both time for performance control?

same for premium + msport : you pay for xline but it gets superseeded by the "high gloss window shadow line" featured in the m-sport, and still no price reduction.

one other thing : is the throttle response time faster in sport mode only for auto transmission or does it affect semi-auto mode also?
1. it does appear so.
2. it does appear so.
3. I assume in both, but we'll have to wait and see.
      05-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #98
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 / '20 X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
My CA said he confirmed that Elec Damping Control is part of MSport and DHO only adds variable sport steering (US version). Will the confusion never end?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #99
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 / '20 X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwabmw View Post
My CA said he confirmed that Elec Damping Control is part of MSport and DHO only adds variable sport steering (US version). Will the confusion never end?
Typo, that's DHP!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #100
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post

You really think BMW wouldn't gladly charge you twice for the same options if you ordered it?

If you read back to the beginning of this thread and the one with pictures from the dealership, it says DYNAMIC DAMPER CONTROL on the window sticker, that sums up that it is not just a button! and it lists it under M Package and no extra charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #101
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastus View Post
Update: Spoke with BMW North America and the person stated that their system is showing ONLY Sport Variable Steering and Performance Control within the US market M-Sport Package. In order to get Electronic Damping Control you must get the Dynamic Handling Package.
BMW NA, you mean you spoke with a call center person who was looking at the BMW site or outdated material they were given? "their system" doesn't know what the @#$# the car has, no one does, CA, BMW NA, future owners... The only people that do are the people that have received them.

The site only says you get performance control, not sport steering, in fact it appears variable steering is the ONLY thing not in the M Package and if you want it, $1300 is the cost, it was not listed on the window sticker that said Damper Control and Performance control under M Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #102
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

I don't see it on the window sticker?
It only appears under the M package when you buy with DHP
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #103
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
I think it would be easy enough to end the confusion. There are now enough M Sports that have been delivered for the actual owner to speak up. If an M Sport owner who DID NOT order the electronic damper control (either Dynamic Handling Pkg in US or Dynamic Comfort Pkg in Canada) could look under the rear of their car and see if there is an electric lead going to the shock.

The picture on the left is a shock w/ EDC, and the picture on the right is a shock without EDC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #104
Boy_with_Joy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83;e92 M3;X3 35i MSpt;X1 MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
BMW NA, you mean you spoke with a call center person who was looking at the BMW site or outdated material they were given? "their system" doesn't know what the @#$# the car has, no one does, CA, BMW NA, future owners... The only people that do are the people that have received them.

The site only says you get performance control, not sport steering, in fact it appears variable steering is the ONLY thing not in the M Package and if you want it, $1300 is the cost, it was not listed on the window sticker that said Damper Control and Performance control under M Sport package.
I am probably the first one on this site to have a X3 xDrive35i with M Sport and I still do not know either. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #105
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
So in canada, m-sport comes with variable sport steering but no EDC
in the US , m-sport comes with EDC but no variable sport steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #106
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

No there's been no confirmation the US m-sport has Electronic Damping Control. In fact, everything points to the opposite being true except one PDF brochure that's uploaded here not available on bmwusa.com (it lists everything in DHP as part of M Sport which is impossible since you can order together).

Just try selecting DHP + MSport on a 525i, it physically won't let you order both. Not to mention is values EDC at $1000 on the 5 series. Whereas BMW only discounts DHP by $100 on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #107
Boy_with_Joy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83;e92 M3;X3 35i MSpt;X1 MSpt

Ok, I drove my x35i M sport around some bumpy side streets (quite a few in Central NJ) and changing from Normal-->Sport-->Sport+ modes some dampening effects of the suspension (along with drive train changes) were definitely observed. I even went to dealership and spoke with my CA. He said that the dampening effects would be more perceptible during high speed corner turns (may be taking an exit on a highway). So folks taking performance center delivery would be able to easily verify this on the test track. Please confirm.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #108
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

BMW is terrible at this. BMW.com
Dynamic Driving Control is an option available with Dynamic Damping Control OR with variable Sports steering.

Driving tools: the M multifunction leather steering wheel and variable sport steering. The M gear selection lever boasts particularly short throws.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #109
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

Echoing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Yeah but this still doesn't prove its the damping. In the X3 manual it says that DDC "Dynamic Driving Control" is in the sport packages and adjust the transmission to Normal, Sport, and Sport +. So the button might just be there for transmission adjustment, Suspension is Normal or Sport (Sport + doesn't effect suspension with damping), this might still not be included.

BMW is really deceiving by having DDC mean two different things with similar functions, Dynamic DRIVING control and Dynamic Damping Control.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #110
Mako
Rep

okay so the window sticker on page one of this thread shows damping control as part of the M Package on a 28i, but another window sticker of a 35i makes no mention of it but says delete sport suspension.

now why would they DELETE a sport suspension from a M SPORT unless they replaced it with something better (like damping control).

Just another reason I will wait until 2012 models and hope this is all figured out (well hoping for a 35D being the biggest reason)
Appreciate 0