BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
quackmeyer
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 F25 M-Sport

Moving to Seattle, need new tires

Hello friends, got a couple of tire specific questions... here's the situation:
  1. Current tires need replacing (tread is wearing and I have a small sidewall bump in one)
  2. I'm about to embark on a 2500+ mile road trip from Dallas to Seattle
  3. All-season run-flats are pretty much impossible to find around me, so I'm comfortable ditching run-flats
  4. Seattle will mostly just be wet hills, but I do anticipate the occasional snow pass. I will have chains of course, but summer tires is a hard no

Are all-season non run-flat tires my best bet? I will carry an air compressor and tire plug kit, but do not have room for a spare.

Current tires are 20" 245/40 front 275/35 rear. Best options seem to be
  • Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS
  • Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
  • Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I lived in downtown Seattle with the Pirelli's on a GTI and it ended up kissing the guardrail on my way home from work in an icy patch LOL. I don't think AWD would have avoided it. Those tires were banana peels with any moisture on the ground.
I've been looking at getting the Extremecontact Sport for my car as a Summer only tire as I have Blizzaks for Michigan winter.. But if you expect to drive in Seattle when it snows it can be terrible- the city is not equipped to handle snow. I would lean towards the Extremecontact DWS or even the Michelins unless you think you'll have to do some driving in the city when it has snowed.
Just my .02 from my experiences, though it was a much different car than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
quackmeyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayzac View Post
I lived in downtown Seattle with the Pirelli's on a GTI and it ended up kissing the guardrail on my way home from work in an icy patch LOL. I don't think AWD would have avoided it. Those tires were banana peels with any moisture on the ground.
I've been looking at getting the Extremecontact Sport for my car as a Summer only tire as I have Blizzaks for Michigan winter.. But if you expect to drive in Seattle when it snows it can be terrible- the city is not equipped to handle snow. I would lean towards the Extremecontact DWS or even the Michelins unless you think you'll have to do some driving in the city when it has snowed.
Just my .02 from my experiences, though it was a much different car than the X3.
Thanks for the advice, should have mentioned that my X3 does not have AWD, just RWD. I'll be downtown Seattle as well, and will be extra cautious to keep myself off the roads whenever it's below freezing. I'm self-aware that I've lived in Texas all my life and have no business driving on ice/snow

The goal is to either buy a separate set of winter tires or switch to an AWD vehicle after a year or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmeyer View Post
Thanks for the advice, should have mentioned that my X3 does not have AWD, just RWD. I'll be downtown Seattle as well, and will be extra cautious to keep myself off the roads whenever it's below freezing. I'm self-aware that I've lived in Texas all my life and have no business driving on ice/snow

The goal is to either buy a separate set of winter tires or switch to an AWD vehicle after a year or so.
I've had both the Conti's and PS AS4+ on other cars and like both. I have the AS4+ on my 650 right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
quackmeyer
Rep

Ordered the Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS XL set

Will update thread soon once I get a few test drives in with them

Excited to see if I can tell a difference switching to non run-flats
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #6
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

I have Pirelli's pzero's on another car and I was taken back at how bad they performed on snowy and icy roads. They provide no grip at all!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
quackmeyer
Rep

Update after a week of my new Continental tires...

Haven't gotten to any snow or ice (or even rain) yet, but WOW! The difference switching to non run-flats is huge. Ride noise and comfort is immediately 50%+ better. Definitely helps even out the already rigid suspension on this car. Turns feel smoother and grippier, although that could just be because the tread is so new.

Sadly will not have a spare, but my dad eased my concerns by pointing out that we never once used the spare in the family car for the 18 years and countless road trips we took it on. Might have had a few slow leaks from a thin nail in the tire, but not anything close to a "blowout"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:04 AM   #8
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmeyer View Post
Update after a week of my new Continental tires...

Haven't gotten to any snow or ice (or even rain) yet, but WOW! The difference switching to non run-flats is huge. Ride noise and comfort is immediately 50%+ better. Definitely helps even out the already rigid suspension on this car. Turns feel smoother and grippier, although that could just be because the tread is so new.

Sadly will not have a spare, but my dad eased my concerns by pointing out that we never once used the spare in the family car for the 18 years and countless road trips we took it on. Might have had a few slow leaks from a thin nail in the tire, but not anything close to a "blowout"
Thanks for the update, I am glad you're enjoying them!
This helps solidify my choice to run the sport versions when I get a little more life out of the ones I got it with.
On the spare thing- I agree with your dad. I've never used my spares when I had them and I've gotten 3 slow leaks that have all been patched at home and are still holding up just fine years and 10k+ miles later.
I do recommend carrying an air pump though!
Appreciate 0