BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2023, 01:52 PM   #1
Overland04
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp, 991.2 911

Service Bulletin for LCI KAFAS camera!

After going to another dealer after being denied warranty about the warped KAFAS camera trim and loosing all Driver Assistance functions, I got a good, fair tech to diagnose the issue.

Within 2 minutes, he pulls up the newly released Service Information Bulletin for this common problem. Looks like BMW realized an issue and made the faulty trim available to purchase WITHOUT A NEW WINDSHIELD REPLACEMENT!!!

Ive attached the SIB that the printed for me. # 66 13 23. (Sept 2023 release)
Part number for the faulty camera trim: 51-31-5-A93-179

There are modifications that the dealer has to make to the trim which seems to be BMW's fix for this. Not that I think it'll work forever, but I go back in tomorrow for the install and recalibration.

Images of the SIB (since I can't find a PDF version yet. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
pyo594.50
joebie3458.50
DBU236.50
thestimp1031.50
Max Well5003.00
      10-31-2023, 02:32 PM   #2
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
This is definitely a step in the right direction, but it's worrisome that it can only be warrantied once. I have had the issue occur twice in two years, almost a year apart to the day.

I wonder how much the repair would be when not covered now that you wouldn't need to replace the entire windshield?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 03:05 PM   #3
Overland04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcow View Post
This is definitely a step in the right direction, but it's worrisome that it can only be warrantied once. I have had the issue occur twice in two years, almost a year apart to the day.

I wonder how much the repair would be when not covered now that you wouldn't need to replace the entire windshield?
I did see the one time repair line. It’s probably more to do with once it’s trimmed against the glass, it can’t be modified again.

Luckily the replacement trim is only $33. Then the dealer would only have to calibrate the camera once it’s mounted correctly again. An hour labor plus the $33 part is way better then the $2900 windshield replacement cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
JustinP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M competition

Thanks for sharing the bulletin and the part number. It’s great to see the faulty part is finally available to order separately from the windscreen.

The bulletin mentions the shield warping, but in my case the original mounting lugs fell to pieces. There are other reports on this forum of the same damaged lug mounts. I suspect the fragility is still due to the chosen plastic material not rated to withstand the high temperature from the KAFAS camera.

As mentioned in another thread, I’ve got a spare shield following a second broken windscreen, so I’ll tuck that to one side as they probably still have a short life.

I suspect the modification to the plastic retaining lugs is to provide sufficient clearance to allow for expansion. This expansion should stop the shield from deforming, or in my case fracturing the rear lugs holding the KAFAS in place.

Last edited by JustinP; 11-01-2023 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
Max Well5003.00
      11-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
can confirm SIB. story time..

so I brought my car in for service (oil change) back in august. after getting the car back a day or two later, I got the whole driver assistant error message. found the KAFAS camera hanging loose. I bring my car back into the dealer and the manager gives me a hard time not wanting to warranty the issue because I had front tint. my SA was very apologetic but the manager was not wanting to work with me (and his condescending attitude left a sour taste in my mouth). I told him to go pound sand.

called another dealership, made an appointment to get the work done but had to wait a few weeks (because loaners were not available at the time). come appointment day I finally drop off the car. a day or two later I expect a phone call stating that the windshield needs to be replaced, but he calls me saying "come pick up the car". i was like "uh, doesn't the windshield need to be replaced?" he said, "nope just the bracket". I didn't question him so I get my car, low and behold, all error messages gone and KAFAS bracket is holding the camera up all straight and true. I look at the invoice and see the new part number... search for it online and it looks new as I haven't seen it before (impossible to find btw). I guess the SIB above confirms it. I drive home and let the assist plus guide me through traffic as I sit in the seat happy as a clam.

now I just hope that this problem doesn't happen again and it's a permanent fix.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
Max Well5003.00
      11-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #6
Overland04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
can confirm SIB. story time..

so I brought my car in for service (oil change) back in august. after getting the car back a day or two later, I got the whole driver assistant error message. found the KAFAS camera hanging loose. I bring my car back into the dealer and the manager gives me a hard time not wanting to warranty the issue because I had front tint. my SA was very apologetic but the manager was not wanting to work with me (and his condescending attitude left a sour taste in my mouth). I told him to go pound sand.

called another dealership, made an appointment to get the work done but had to wait a few weeks (because loaners were not available at the time). come appointment day I finally drop off the car. a day or two later I expect a phone call stating that the windshield needs to be replaced, but he calls me saying "come pick up the car". i was like "uh, doesn't the windshield need to be replaced?" he said, "nope just the bracket". I didn't question him so I get my car, low and behold, all error messages gone and KAFAS bracket is holding the camera up all straight and true. I look at the invoice and see the new part number... search for it and it looks new as I haven't seen it before (impossible to find btw). I guess the SIB above confirms it.

now I just hope that this problem doesn't happen again and it's a permanent fix.
Almost the exact same story as I'm going through. My appointment is tomorrow for the new trim install. Formally denied warranty for no reason beside "never seen this happen before, so it must be something you did")

Went to another small town dealer. They had 2 other '22 x3's (non M, MC) that had the same issue fixed this way waiting to be picked up and didn't bat an eye about mine being covered under warranty.

Only time to tell how long this lasts with the extra space milled out. So glad I don't need a windshield replacement. I never trust it'll be damage free, even at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #7
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Thank you for sharing this! Bookmarking for future reference.

I got my entire windshield replaced under warranty back in August 2022 with no pushback from my dealer (BMW of Fairfax). My SA stated it looked like trim was not installed correctly from the factory or something is broken.

My X3M is parked outside 24/7 but I can't comment on how it's holding up. My windshield has been replaced twice for cracks since then (April '23 and Nov '23)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:28 PM   #8
Overland04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Thank you for sharing this! Bookmarking for future reference.

I got my entire windshield replaced under warranty back in August 2022 with no pushback from my dealer (BMW of Fairfax). My SA stated it looked like trim was not installed correctly from the factory or something is broken.

My X3M is parked outside 24/7 but I can't comment on how it's holding up. My windshield has been replaced twice for cracks since then (April '23 and Nov '23)
Glad to help. I knew this was a hit or miss issues with warranty replacement. Hoping this helps future claims.

I’ve seen a few Facebook groups talking about cracking windshields. Not as much on these forums. Is this a common issue to be concerned about as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #9
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overland04 View Post
Glad to help. I knew this was a hit or miss issues with warranty replacement. Hoping this helps future claims.

I’ve seen a few Facebook groups talking about cracking windshields. Not as much on these forums. Is this a common issue to be concerned about as well?
My area has a lot of construction going on, I'm fairly sure something hit me each time but it never left a dent/nick or anything. It just started cracking and spreading.

Over on the G01/G02 side, there are a few mentions of how fragile our windshields are. One of my buddies has a G80 and his cracked recently too.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2024, 09:50 PM   #10
pheagles
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 m40i

Just happened to my X3. Glad for this post to confirm known issue.
Appreciate 1
Max Well5003.00
      06-27-2024, 05:40 PM   #11
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

And another one bites the dust. Mine just blew up as well. If anyone has the PDF somewhere, please share.

Thanks to OP for posting the picture.
Appreciate 1
Max Well5003.00
      06-27-2024, 06:42 PM   #12
Diskz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
And another one bites the dust. Mine just blew up as well. If anyone has the PDF somewhere, please share.

Thanks to OP for posting the picture.
Attached is the pdf

BMW TSB SI B66 13 23.pdf
Appreciate 2
Max Well5003.00
      06-27-2024, 07:01 PM   #13
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskz View Post
Attached is the pdf

Attachment 3489600

DUDE thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 12:26 AM   #14
Resu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda

Had this done, and it started rattling again. Now I am waiting for approval for a windshield replacement. Aggravting.
Appreciate 1
Max Well5003.00
      06-30-2024, 09:03 AM   #15
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Are you tinted? My fear is they'll try to weasel their way out of it because of front tint...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 01:08 PM   #16
Resu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Are you tinted? My fear is they'll try to weasel their way out of it because of front tint...
Nope. Bought it used and when it was shipped to me the KAFAS mount was already bad. Researched here, found the SIB, and made an appointment to get it fixed.

Past month I've noticed a rattle from the rearview area. Popped the lower cover off and noticed the KAFAS would move freely. Took it to the dealer and they said yep it's bad we need approval from BMW.

Like you I've some concerns they'll deny it and kick it back, in my case because I took the cover off and they'll blame me.

I'll fight that hard tho as there was a pre-existing repair. I do worry about longterm issues with that mount. Mine is a 2022 w/5K miles and twice in just the 3K miles I put on it since buying it the mount has failed. How much would this cost out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 07:51 PM   #17
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resu View Post
Nope. Bought it used and when it was shipped to me the KAFAS mount was already bad. Researched here, found the SIB, and made an appointment to get it fixed.
Same here, well CPO.
Quote:
Past month I've noticed a rattle from the rearview area. Popped the lower cover off and noticed the KAFAS would move freely. Took it to the dealer and they said yep it's bad we need approval from BMW.
I started hearing the rattle about 2 months ago, at first I thought it was my audio system.
Quote:
Like you I've some concerns they'll deny it and kick it back, in my case because I took the cover off and they'll blame me.
I already ordered the plastic covers and gonna be removing my dashcam and pigdar detector, gonna leave it bone factory stock.
Quote:
I'll fight that hard tho as there was a pre-existing repair. I do worry about longterm issues with that mount. Mine is a 2022 w/5K miles and twice in just the 3K miles I put on it since buying it the mount has failed.
holy shit, thats bad. guess i should feel lucky that mine lasted 2 years before it croaked.
Quote:
How much would this cost out of warranty?
Given that the initial "fix" was replace the entire glass with cameras attached, it was like 1500 two years ago. Dont know what the OE glass runs nowadays, prolly a billion yen with the stupid costs of everything being sky high.

EDIT: The plastic trim 51315a93179 runs 35 bucks. I guess someone with the patience and patience and more patient disposition could knock this out in a day. Then have the stealer recalibrate everything. Assuming this plastic hood is the only thing that is needed.

If its the whole camera, i'll have my glass deductible replace the glass due to an unfortunate rock the size of a golf ball that hit the glass while I was parked near the golf course at school

winkwinkNodNod
Attached Images

Last edited by TacosRule!; 06-30-2024 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #18
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Just in case you follow this thread, dropped off the car monday and dealer called today. They have a copy of the SIB that I provided and of course they pulled it from ista. They said the SIB doesnt fix the issue, as the warp will happen again on the plastic trim that is fixed to the glass. when that warps, the lower plastic tray follows suit and itself gets deformed.

They said that new glass is needed, and so it'll be replaced under warranty. Dealer cost of the glass is 1788 plus sealant kit of 44 and misc plastic parts. For what its worth.
Appreciate 3
      07-10-2024, 08:24 PM   #19
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe it would be cool for someone to make that plastic part in CFRP or something more tolerant of high temperatures like die-cast aluminum...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 12:09 AM   #20
Resu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just in case you follow this thread, dropped off the car monday and dealer called today. They have a copy of the SIB that I provided and of course they pulled it from ista. They said the SIB doesnt fix the issue, as the warp will happen again on the plastic trim that is fixed to the glass. when that warps, the lower plastic tray follows suit and itself gets deformed.

They said that new glass is needed, and so it'll be replaced under warranty. Dealer cost of the glass is 1788 plus sealant kit of 44 and misc plastic parts. For what its worth.
Got my new windshield today. It's nice having DAP work again and no rattles.
Appreciate 0