BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Wastegate failure on X3MC 3 weeks for repair

I was just told 3 weeks total or maybe longer for repair of a waste hate valve on my 3 week old x3mc that was going into limp mode when M1 or M2 mode.
I am on a crappy x2 loaner and I am considering if I should not pay for lease this month as car will be almost 4 weeks out of commission.
Any advice from fellow x3mc'ers?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Maybe I should call BMW costumer service and raise the issue with them
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
M3OW!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruedam3 View Post
I was just told 3 weeks total or maybe longer for repair of a waste hate valve on my 3 week old x3mc that was going into limp mode when M1 or M2 mode.
I am on a crappy x2 loaner and I am considering if I should not pay for lease this month as car will be almost 4 weeks out of commission.
LEMON that shit bro
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907425.00
      10-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

What reason did they give you for the long wait? The part has to come from Germany? They could have the part in 36 hours, if they would get the lead out of their ASS.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW! View Post
Quote:
LEMON that shit bro
I may.... don't know what the time rod do that in NY where I live or in NJ where the dealer is located but will try and find out.
Good advice
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
What reason did they give you for the long wait? The part has to come from Germany? They could have the part in 36 hours, if they would get the lead out of their ASS.
They did not but will push for answers!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
DeeM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Lemon law and get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Or just get a free month and a fixed car? :
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41908.00
noushy1657.00
      10-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Or just get a free month and a fixed car? :
Depends on if you think it's a one-off ... if so (and sounds like it) then I'd push for a no-payment month and a better car from either the dealer or BMWUSA ... if not those things, then I'd lemon.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      10-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Despite the histrionic replies so far, your best move is to be patient.

Unilaterally failing to pay on your lease will reflect adversely on your credit.

It's extremely unlikely that a single non-recurring warranty issue is sufficient to invoke any state lemon law, but you can pay to consult an attorney in your particular state if you want to be sure.

You might also consider a polite discussion with your dealer, in which you explain your disappointment both with the waiting time for the part and with the loaner vehicle. That would be an opportunity to ask the dealer what can be done to keep you satisfied as a customer. Even if the dealer is unable to intervene to waive a lease payment you're making to a 3rd party, the dealer may be able to expedite the delivery of the part, and may be able to offer you a more entertaining loaner vehicle while you do wait.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 10-14-2019 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 5
BMWZ41908.00
Mtxzptlk871.00
nyalpine907425.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
      10-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
M Coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: S54 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Was it working fine when you were not in M1 and M2?
Did you get a message like "Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Maximum Drivetrain Output not available"? What message did you get?
BMWZ41908.00
      10-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post
Quote:
Was it working fine when you were not in M1 and M2?
Did you get a message like "Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Maximum Drivetrain Output not available"? What message did you get?
Exactly I did get that message and it was working fine while in comfort mode only. If I went into M1 or M2 it would throw the code and the car just was less lawyer full than while in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #13
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post

Unilaterally failing to pay on your lease will reflect adversely on your credit.

It's extremely unlikely that a single non-recurring warranty issue is sufficient to invoke any state lemon law, but you can pay to consult an attorney in your particular state if you want to be sure.

You might also consider a polite discussion with your dealer, in which you explain your disappointment both with the waiting time for the part and with the loaner vehicle. That would be an opportunity to ask the dealer what can be done to keep you satisfied as a customer. Even if the dealer is unable to intervene to waive a lease payment you're making to a 3rd party, the dealer may be able to expedite the delivery of the part, and may be able to offer you a more entertaining loaner vehicle while you do wait.
Wise advise, thank you.
I called BMW costumer service and expressed my disappointment. I told them I have had 9 BMWs w them 7 of them m3's etc...
They said I would get a call from some manager by today.
We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #14
M Coupe
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wise advise, thank you.
I called BMW costumer service and expressed my disappointment. I told them I have had 9 BMWs w them 7 of them m3's etc...
They said I would get a call from some manager by today.
We'll see what happens.
Did you get a call from the manager?
      10-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #15
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW! View Post
Quote:
LEMON that shit bro
I may.... don't know what the time rod do that in NY where I live or in NJ where the dealer is located but will try and find out.
Good advice
What dealer did you go to? I may have a solution. Pm me
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post

I like this guy... he has common sense....
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41908.00
      10-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #17
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

@GmanJeff advice is spot on. Very little to add other than polite but firm negotiation style will lead to a better outcome.

It's very likely an isolated problem where simply extra patience is needed. X3M is in the first year of its evolution. Statistically, one has to be prepared for a few unexpected mechanical issues.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      10-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
@GmanJeff advice is spot on. Very little to add other than polite but firm negotiation style will lead to a better outcome.

It's very likely an isolated problem where simply extra patience is needed. X3M is in the first year of its evolution. Statistically, one has to be prepared for a few unexpected mechanical issues.
Agreed... now I called and have a case manager getting back to me tomorrow. I proposed either buy me out of the car/lease or a month of no payment for the wait without the car... we shall see!
Also some manager called and left a message stating he couldn't do much cause they given me a "date" when part would arrive. Tried to get him on phone but unable yet to connect. Let's see what case manage may say tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #19
M Coupe
Private
Rep

Garage List
any updates?
      10-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #20
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
any updates?
Indeed! The car still at the dealer, it was not just the wastegate valve it was one of the turbos that croaked reportedly... part not available in US; they say it will get to them by nov 1st from Germany.
Then they have to install it and test. I am assuming that they may have to take all the engine out to replace the turbo but I really don't know yet since everything is so tightly packed in there. Obviously I am not an expert in these mechanical matters.
I was assigned a case manager form BMW and I told him I don't want that car anymore. I also had trouble activating the hot spot, bmw genius could not figure it out until yesterday (only took them almost a month) when they said it is possible to activate it. I don't have access to the car so I don't know.
BMW proposed I month of lease payment reimbursement. I refused. This car has been over 20 days in shop to be repaired so it qualifies for NJ lemon law (got it from NJ dealer). I rather settle than having to lawyer up but I will if I have to.
I should learn by the 29th what BMW determines.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #21
cruedam3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE

Quote:
Quote:
any updates?
Indeed! The car still at the dealer, it was not just the wastegate valve it was one of the turbos that croaked reportedly... part not available in US; they say it will get to them by nov 1st from Germany.
Then they have to install it and test. I am assuming that they may have to take all the engine out to replace the turbo but I really don't know yet since everything is so tightly packed in there. Obviously I am not an expert in these mechanical matters.
I was assigned a case manager form BMW and I told him I don't want that car anymore. I also had trouble activating the hot spot, bmw genius could not figure it out until yesterday (only took them almost a month) when they said it is possible to activate it. I don't have access to the car so I don't know.
BMW proposed I month of lease payment reimbursement. I refused. This car has been over 20 days in shop to be repaired so it qualifies for NJ lemon law (got it from NJ dealer). I rather settle than having to lawyer up but I will if I have to.
So BMW offered to get me in to a new car... nothing else. I have been on a loaner for a month now, the x3m comp had a turbo failure ordered the part and they apparently sent the wrong one so even if I wanted the original car repaired it would take another 3 weeks. I said I want out of deal altogether. No compensation for monthly payments, insurance, plates and registration that I have made so far while car immobilized at the dealer shop.
I did lawyer up and letter invoking lemon in NJ is went out today to BMW NA, since car has been in repair shop over 20 days.
I would settle for out of deal so I can go get another one. Will see what they say.
Any advise on strategy for negotiating or for fighting will be very welcome.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
any updates?
So BMW offered to get me in to a new car... nothing else. I have been on a loaner for a month now, the x3m comp had a turbo failure ordered the part and they apparently sent the wrong one so even if I wanted the original car repaired it would take another 3 weeks. I said I want out of deal altogether. No compensation for monthly payments, insurance, plates and registration that I have made so far while car immobilized at the dealer shop.
I did lawyer up and letter invoking lemon in NJ is went out today to BMW NA, since car has been in repair shop over 20 days.
I would settle for out of deal so I can go get another one. Will see what they say.
Any advise on strategy for negotiating or for fighting will be very welcome.
Thank you
My advise, since you have a lawyer already, consult with him and lay low in the forum.
Believe it or not, they are reading this forum.

Play your card right, they will be reasonable enough to keep a customer happy.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
KHATTI418.00