BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

Check engine light after lowering!!!

Apparently German cars don't like me. I had MSS springs installed and I've only driven a car around a hundred miles after install. As soon as I started it and drove today, the check engine light came on. Are there any sensors that have could have been hit during install that would cause a check engine light? Anybody else had a check engine light come on after spring install? Taking it to the dealer in the morning I want to be prepared if they point to lower being the cause. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettethret View Post
Apparently German cars don't like me. I had MSS springs installed and I've only driven a car around a hundred miles after install. As soon as I started it and drove today, the check engine light came on. Are there any sensors that have could have been hit during install that would cause a check engine light? Anybody else had a check engine light come on after spring install? Taking it to the dealer in the morning I want to be prepared if they point to lower being the cause. Thanks
Why don't you take it to the shop that installed the springs? Dealer might void your warranty on suspension components for good
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Uhm, I don't think there is engine parts on the suspension.
And CEL is Check Engine Light error message.
Nothing from the engine was touched during spring install.
It could be as simple as gas cap not close tightly will throw CEL. Because Evaporators is part of the engine.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41912.50
aw3051441.50
AlexFL7838.00
      06-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Get the codes read, it is probably coincidence as suspension is not engine related.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Check your active grill is working that will throw ip a warning ⚠️
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary pa28 View Post
Check your active grill is working that will throw ip a warning ⚠️
No shutters on X3Ms - always active
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Uhm, I don't think there is engine parts on the suspension.
And CEL is Check Engine Light error message.
Nothing from the engine was touched during spring install.
It could be as simple as gas cap not close tightly will throw CEL. Because Evaporators is part of the engine.
First thing I checked was the gas cap. With all the computers and sensors these cars have these days, I didnt know if the light could have possibly been suspension related (I havent seen any postings that anybody else had this issue). I wanted to have a heads up if that was a possibility, just in case the dealer tries to give me an excusive that it was something I did by lowering.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13001.00
      06-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First thing I checked was the gas cap. With all the computers and sensors these cars have these days, I didnt know if the light could have possibly been suspension related (I havent seen any postings that anybody else had this issue). I wanted to have a heads up if that was a possibility, just in case the dealer tries to give me an excusive that it was something I did by lowering.
Sure, let me know when do you want to swing by.
I'll scan the car with OBD2 tool.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

The headlight aiming arm is connected to the front suspension.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13001.00
      06-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
The headlight aiming arm is connected to the front suspension.
Yes, but that won't trigger Check "Engine" Light.
That would be Headlight Leveling malfunction or Chassis Stabilization Error message.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #11
BeaminF97
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:

Did you ever get this resolved? my check engine came on with bunch of other warning lights that has to do with suspension and speed sensor. i checked all sensors and everything is connected and looks normal so im wondering what might cause this. A buddy was telling me he thinks maybe because i have the back flushed with the front the sensors isnt liking it and maybe throwing codes because hes saying these cars is supposed to have a certain rake to it where back is little taller. But to my knowledge thats just a recommendation. So im just lost right now…
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:00 PM   #12
imran83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I had chassis stabilization errors. Had to get an alignment and then go to a shop to basically recalibrate the sensors since the alignment was off. Super quick to recalibrate/reset if the shop knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2023, 07:20 PM   #13
BeaminF97
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran83 View Post
I had chassis stabilization errors. Had to get an alignment and then go to a shop to basically recalibrate the sensors since the alignment was off. Super quick to recalibrate/reset if the shop knows what they are doing.
Yea thats the error im having chassis stabization error and few others that i think is prolly related to this. I have appointment for alignment tomorrow and hopefully i can find someone that knows what to recalibrate for this to be fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 06:18 PM   #14
BeaminF97
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone that helped me figure this out it ended up me routing the wheel speed sensor wrong and it ended up getting damaged. Thanks to Ben from r33_RGSport for giving me advice how to verify the sensor . And thanks Vettethret for the recommendation
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport13001.00