BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2024, 03:07 PM   #1
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Exclamation 2024 BMW X4 Quality Control Issues

2024 BMW X4 Quality Control Issues

Subject: Quality Control - Manufacturer Defects/Improper Installation (4) Exterior Door Weather Striping Door Seals with Slices/Tears/Holes

2024 BMW X4 ordered and purchased in 2024, while applying awesome highly recommended Zymöl Seal Rubber Conditioner to the new Weather Striping Door Seals on my recently purchased brand new 2024 BMW X4, multiple Slices/Tears/Holes were discovered, Quality Control issues on all (4) of the Exterior Car Door Seals of the Driver’s and Passengers’ Front and Rear Back Doors. The Slices/Tears/Holes are in the folds of the Weather Striping Door Seals on all of the exterior car doors. The Interior and the Trunks Door Seals on the SAV's body frame are not affected as they have proper punch holes.

These Quality Control Slices/Tears/Holes are either Manufacturers Defects or happened during the Production when they were installed, while the installer was using a sharper than normal, probably plastic putty-knife at the BMW Spartanburg, South Carolina Factory.

Has any other fellow owners of any 2024 BMW X4s (G02) and X3s (G01) have this issue? If not, I would go ahead and check your exterior door seals in the folds.

Please make BMW North America aware of this issue on the production line that has gone undetected as it is most likely happening to other BMW customers as well.

Attached: Attached are photos as requested by the North East, U.S.A. BMW Dealership Service Department showing the Quality Control Slices/Tears/Holes in the Door Seal Weather Stripping. The Slices/Tears/Holes are each approximately 1.5” to 2” in length.
[/FONT]
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 05-02-2024 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 03:26 PM   #2
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Exclamation 2024 BMW X4 (G02) All-Weather Floor Mats - Front Passenger missing Female Velcro

Quality Control Issues - Brand new 2024 BMW X4 (G02) All-Weather Floor Mats - Front Passenger missing 3" Female Velcro Discs

Brand new 2024 BMW X4 (G02) All-Weather Floor Mats we're ordered with the SAV, something I requested years ago to BMW, so that's great, BUT the problem is the Front Passenger side is missing the 3" Female Velcro Discs to adhere the All-Weather Floor Mat to the floor board. These All-Weather Floor Mats are very nice looking, but they're NOT as high-quality and are slipperier then I expected, not as nice like the old ones a decade ago. They are Made In Germany. North East, U.S.A. BMW Dealer is receiving the exact same sets with the Front Passenger missing 3" Female Velcro Discs.

https://www.bmw.com/en-au/offers-and...oor-mats3.html

BMW (OEM) Part Number:
51 47 5A1D 9D0
51 47 2450 511

51 47 2451 585 - Front Passenger
51 47 5A1D 9E6

Color: BLACK
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:38 AM   #3
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Aren't those holes in door seals for ventilation? Yes, the execution is terrible.
And yes, mats have problems, one of those velcro patches was torn from (carpet) mats.
Appreciate 1
DCG783.00
      04-22-2024, 04:46 AM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

In my experience, the QA at Spartanburg can be very poor.

Wish BMW made the X3 in Germany.
Appreciate 1
bouchy81.50
      04-22-2024, 06:38 AM   #5
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
I was getting my other car’s windows tinted and was talking to the owner of the shop about how I had a slice in my window trim and the BMW SA was blaming the tint shop for cutting it (they didn’t, they have the computer cut films).

He said that he sees that a lot on all makes of cars. He thinks it may be dealer prep guys taking off protective plastics and labels.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 1
DCG783.00
      04-22-2024, 07:36 AM   #6
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Why do all (providing it's a different part) have a hole in them? I think someone just forgot to set "punchng" machine, so a bloke on a shift took on a knife and did the holes manually, because they would lose profit.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:45 AM   #7
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post

Technically, these are minor issues thank goodness. But still BMW North America needs to be aware of these issues, and I want them remedied by the BMW Dealership and BMW North America 🇺🇸 ASAP for the exorbitant 💸 price tag. These ‘Quality Control’ issues should NOT occur.

Never had any previous quality control issues with four other BMW vehicles we have purchased in the past that were all Made In Germany 🇩🇪.

Otherwise, everything on the 2024 X4 is built like a tank, and the fit and finishes is excellent, superb actually! Very impressed and highly recommended it, but it should be for what model it is and what we paid.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:47 AM   #8
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

They definitely knifed it. Terrible work. They should get you all new seals but now you have to worry about local dealer doing a good job of replacement.
Appreciate 1
DCG783.00
      04-22-2024, 09:48 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

very slippery slope determining quality of a car based on teh country it comes from-

My 135 and 2 x 335 built in Germany were the definition of junkyard dwellers.

My X3 M40i is built like a tank from SC.

My m2 comp and family's M3 were built in Germany and were built like tanks.

A friends audi a6 built in germany was a junkyard dweller.

A family members q5 built in mexico is a tank.
Flippco1155.00
M40i4me1037.00
lfdal541042.00
      04-22-2024, 09:52 AM   #10
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post

Otherwise, everything on the 2024 X4 is built like a tank, and the fit and finishes is excellent, superb actually! Very impressed and highly recommended it, but it should be for what model it is and what we paid.

Overall build quality from Spartanburg is good, but they need to take a close look at the panel gaps on the '23 X3, they could use a slight adjustment, there are several areas on the vehicle where they are not equal.
Appreciate 1
DCG783.00
      04-22-2024, 09:56 AM   #11
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Smile Professional well executed Circular Compression Punch Holes :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouchy View Post
Aren't those holes in door seals for ventilation? Yes, the execution is terrible.
And yes, mats have problems, one of those velcro patches was torn from (carpet) mats.
Here’s a picture of the brand new 2024 X4's Interior and the Trunk Exterior Door Weather Striping Door Seals with proper miniature 'Circular Punch Holes’ for Compression.

NOT what I deem completely poorly executed 1.5" to 2" tears-holes pictured above all in random places around the perimeter of the exterior 4-doors.
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 05-02-2024 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
bouchy81.50
      04-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #12
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Headlights & Highbeams

High-Beams: our new 2024 X4, the High-Beams need to be adjusted/raised/brightened because I am having a hard time seeing deer 🦌 on the side of the road and most importantly I’m having issues with reading highway road signs 🛣️ when the High-Beams 🔦 are put on. I am surprised because the lights on my 2024 BMW X4 M40i are not as bright as they were on my 2013 BMW 3 Series with Angel Eyes headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #13
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
very slippery slope determining quality of a car based on teh country it comes from-

My 135 and 2 x 335 built in Germany were the definition of junkyard dwellers.

My X3 M40i is built like a tank from SC.

My m2 comp and family's M3 were built in Germany and were built like tanks.

A friends audi a6 built in germany was a junkyard dweller.

A family members q5 built in mexico is a tank.
I've had 7 BMW's with all but two being made in Germany. The two not made in Germany had more QA issues.

There's always the potential of QA issues, but imagine a German car, actually made in Germany. What a great concept
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:06 AM   #14
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Headlights & Highbeams

High-Beams: our new 2024 X4, the High-Beams need to be adjusted/raised/brightened because I am having a hard time seeing deer �� on the side of the road and most importantly I’m having issues with reading highway road signs ��️ when the High-Beams �� are put on. I am surprised because the lights on my 2024 BMW X4 M40i are not as bright as they were on my 2013 BMW 3 Series with Angel Eyes headlights.
Obviously, I don't know what you are seeing, but that doesn't right. Ask the dealer to check.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...832301&page=66
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #15
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've had 7 BMW's with all but two being made in Germany. The two not made in Germany had more QA issues.

There's always the potential of QA issues, but imagine a German car, actually made in Germany. What a great concept
I could write a thesis on outsourcing if you'd like... but the reality is that German made BMW quality has been falling for years now.

The reason the X3 / X3M and X5 / X5M are made in the USA is because this is by far and away the largest market so it makes more sense... I am ok with this if it means when I order my car I can get it sooner (like folks in the EU w the other models) and if the cost is contained to a certain level...) Remember, I pay far less than you for this car either way... the VAT is where your complaints should lie... in any case, the engine and tranny (most important components) still come from Austria and Germany.
      04-22-2024, 10:18 AM   #16
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I could write a thesis on outsourcing if you'd like... but the reality is that German made BMW quality has been falling for years now.

The reason the X3 / X3M and X5 / X5M are made in the USA is because this is by far and away the largest market so it makes more sense... I am ok with this if it means when I order my car I can get it sooner (like folks in the EU w the other models) and if the cost is contained to a certain level...) Remember, I pay far less than you for this car either way... the VAT is where your complaints should lie... in any case, the engine and tranny (most important components) still come from Austria and Germany.
I get the USA market thing, but BMW also makes X3 in South Africa, which is not a large X3 market, and the majority are exported to Europe, and some to the USA. All electric iX3 is made in China AFAIK for Global consumption.

Local tax is a killer, as is the standard local options in terms of increasing cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:50 AM   #17
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Headlights & Highbeams

High-Beams: our new 2024 X4, the High-Beams need to be adjusted/raised/brightened because I am having a hard time seeing deer 🦌 on the side of the road and most importantly I’m having issues with reading highway road signs 🛣️ when the High-Beams 🔦 are put on. I am surprised because the lights on my 2024 BMW X4 M40i are not as bright as they were on my 2013 BMW 3 Series with Angel Eyes headlights.
Have you coded to activate anti-dazzle?
      04-22-2024, 11:35 PM   #18
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

It's obvious that all (mostly) comes down to the person/people at the line, doesn't matter how well the car is designed on paper, engineered, etc. It all starts the same way in the line. Robotics are setup the same way (for most part, the inputs may need some tweaks with parameter changes here and there but the settings "should be" global). The QC is about how they all come together in the line unless there is original design/engineering flow to begin with. I do believe that German line workers take relative "more pride" in their work than the US auto workers. And i do believe US auto workers in the assembly line care less about quality and probably thinking more about joining the union, and relatively more grumpier. QC works best in a closed loop. If you see an issue, unless you report them, will not get fed back in the loop. I took guided tour of the Spartanburg, SC plant late 2019. Was cool to see the roll out of F97/F98 vehicles. Toward the end of the tour when we were guided through the final end of the assembly line, to my "horror" i can actually see group of assembly workers trying to "bend" the driver side front door as if trying to correct some sort of fit (and finish) issue. And shortly after another worker came with rubber hammer and started hammering again on the door. This, mind you, while the tourists were all just few 10's of feets away from the line. wtf...
Appreciate 6
ocdx30.00
avi662752.00
X3_Alaska145.00
lfdal541042.00
TXGrey1287.00
      04-23-2024, 03:19 AM   #19
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
It's obvious that all (mostly) comes down to the person/people at the line, doesn't matter how well the car is designed on paper, engineered, etc. It all starts the same way in the line. Robotics are setup the same way (for most part, the inputs may need some tweaks with parameter changes here and there but the settings "should be" global). The QC is about how they all come together in the line unless there is original design/engineering flow to begin with. I do believe that German line workers take relative "more pride" in their work than the US auto workers. And i do believe US auto workers in the assembly line care less about quality and probably thinking more about joining the union, and relatively more grumpier. QC works best in a closed loop. If you see an issue, unless you report them, will not get fed back in the loop. I took guided tour of the Spartanburg, SC plant late 2019. Was cool to see the roll out of F97/F98 vehicles. Toward the end of the tour when we were guided through the final end of the assembly line, to my "horror" i can actually see group of assembly workers trying to "bend" the driver side front door as if trying to correct some sort of fit (and finish) issue. And shortly after another worker came with rubber hammer and started hammering again on the door. This, mind you, while the tourists were all just few 10's of feets away from the line. wtf...

Exactly, I’ve seen line workers at Rolls Royce banging components in with heel of the hand which was totally contrary to how I imagined them working
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 04:49 AM   #20
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Spot on, and like you say, it's the individuals in the production process and the culture that drives quality and pride.

Some companies start great, but management ethos and culture can change, with less focus on the quality of the product. Boeing is a good example of this.
Appreciate 1
lfdal541042.00
      04-23-2024, 07:19 AM   #21
Urbi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 640d

Quote:

I Agree 100% !
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 07:56 AM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The Spartanburg plant is non union... however its being targeted by UAW to unionize soon. All German plants are unionized... I have no idea if that has anything to do with the QC of the vehicles but if it does get unionized, I immediately expect the costs for all X vehicles to go up... the South African plant where the remainder of X3s are made had an enormous labor strike 2 years ago and it created a production halt... I have no issues with an all Germany built vehicle but prepare to pay even more is all I will say.