BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #23
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerStanMan View Post
Hi.
Just wondered which chargers people had gone with and if you feel comfortable sharing, what sort of cost?
Zappi V2 here. Works perfect after some tweaking. The ECO+ setting (charge on self generated power only) took some experimenting to get setting right. The car doesn’t like on/off switching too often, so the delay/restart timers were essential. Works fine now with minimum of 75% solar from my own panels. Combined with time programmed supply during low tariff (to top off when 100% SoC next day is required) during the night I think I am on lowest possible cost for charging.

Could have installed it myself, but decided to have it done to avoid insurance issues in case of fire (for whatever reason). Costed about €1250 incl installation costs. Once tried to figure out pay-back time but found too many variables to come to a trustworthy outcome. So went for their good interface and app.

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 07-31-2022 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 05:34 AM   #24
BimmerStanMan
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A5; iX3 MSport Pro soon.

Hi everyone,

My car is due first week of October for delivery to me. Am I being impatient getting my charger installed before it arrives?

Advantage: charger ready for car so no messing about with granny charger or public network.

Disadvantage: installation faults won't be identified until after the Sparky has left.

I would welcome your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #25
Daimlermg
Private
Rep
Drives: Msport pro LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerStanMan View Post
Hi everyone,

My car is due first week of October for delivery to me. Am I being impatient getting my charger installed before it arrives?

Advantage: charger ready for car so no messing about with granny charger or public network.

Disadvantage: installation faults won't be identified until after the Sparky has left.

I would welcome your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks.
I had mine installed 4 months before the car arrived because of the grant, it’s not put a foot wrong but it’s wired with Ethernet and not wi-fi ( I use to install wi-fi to a lot of houses in a 50 sq mile area using a mesh system at first and then I changed it to a point to -point system as mesh sucks. The long and short of it is wi-fi can be a pain if you have thick walls or no line of sight so check the signal strength befor committing it to wi-fi only.
My charger is a HYPERVOLT.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #26
fuzzmondo
powered by electrons
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3 M Sport Pro

I had mine installed back in May, car is not due until early October. The sparky should perform a test before they complete and leave, which checks its working properly, and they should show you it working too.

I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      08-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #27
gogerc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro lci

Hypervolt

Hypervolt and £799 - I love it and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 02:38 AM   #28
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

I have the same "dumb" chargepoint unit that was installed 4 years ago and it's been totally reliable.
I use the car systems to set the charging schedules etc and it seems to work pefectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 06:20 AM   #29
xins01
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 SR+

Anyone using Tesla wallcharger (gen2) as homecharger? Or if you tried one, does it work?

I ordered a BMX IX3 and curious if it works, my guess is that it works but needs to enable legacy mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #30
MM087
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogerc View Post
Hypervolt and £799 - I love it and no issues.
£799 Installed if so that is super cheap, I have opted for the same one but been quoted £1150.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #31
EVNorfolk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro on order

An untethered Indra Smart Pro here. Haven’t used it yet as waiting for the car but it looks good on the wall!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 03:28 PM   #32
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM087 View Post
£799 Installed if so that is super cheap, I have opted for the same one but been quoted £1150.
I paid £700….. with the ulev grant
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #33
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmondo View Post
I had mine installed back in May, car is not due until early October. The sparky should perform a test before they complete and leave, which checks its working properly, and they should show you it working too.

I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

I have same charger and is superb, recently they added option that you can switch off light on it when not in use.
Was installed in Feb this year, £599 with grand including extra fuse box.
One thing only, it better works with iPhone than android(on 2 occasions Bluetooth connection did not work and support from wallbox within minutes advised what to do after contacting them, was slight issue after android 12 update roll out)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #34
MM087
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
I paid £700….. with the ulev grant
Ah ok, the grant has changed now which is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #35
gogerc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM087 View Post
Installed before the end of March cut off with Gov Grant.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #36
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
I have same charger and is superb, recently they added option that you can switch off light on it when not in use.
Was installed in Feb this year, £599 with grand including extra fuse box.
One thing only, it better works with iPhone than android(on 2 occasions Bluetooth connection did not work and support from wallbox within minutes advised what to do after contacting them, was slight issue after android 12 update roll out)
In the app you can also turn on Wi-fi in the Pulsar Plus, assuming it is within range of your home network. That allows your phone to connect to the box even when out of Bluetooth range.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #37
icylava
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I am using EV Box at my old house. While the brand/company and service are constantly improving, I still see some issues with it:
1) The machine arrived without an intelligent load sensor and I risk a power cut if charging and using the electric shower at the same time. They promised to replace it but it never happened.
2) Operation team seems to be able to configure your charger setup without getting your consent. I specifically set up the charger so that charging can only be initialized by the card or the app, but this setup was lost and it starts to charge when plugged in. This issue was resolved by contacting their customer service.
3) This one may be due to their operation team's random configuration again, but the max current the charger can maintain has dropped from 31A to 16A. This has increased the charging time significantly. Their customer service is to get back to me on why this is happening.

Their back office, web portal, and mobile apps are top-of-notch now after a few years' improvements. Their charger has a built-in SIM so it does not rely on your home Wi-Fi.

For my current house, I have a free charging point nearby... I guess the local council is trying to use up some sort of grant. I won't install a home charger until they start charging for using that free one.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 08:55 AM   #38
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Hypervolt for me & been faultless
Read this with interest, I also like the look of the hypervolt, does anybody know if this will work happily with home battery storage and solar?
      09-12-2022, 05:50 AM   #39
BimmerStanMan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
Read this with interest, I also like the look of the hypervolt, does anybody know if this will work happily with home battery storage and solar?
Not sure about Battery Storage but supports Solar, so I imagine that is the same functionality for battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #40
Zondervan
Rep

So we have just been given the good news that our car is being delivered on Monday, nearly 2 months ahead of schedule.

As such, we are not going to have our EV charger installed for another 4 weeks or so.

Does anyone have any experience of charging directly off the mains via a 3-point plug? I know the obvious downside is the length of time to charge, but anything else to be aware of until the EV charger is fitted?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 07:37 AM   #41
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

I tried my 3pin plug on day 1 and it tripped my fuses so I had to drop the amps in the car menu to 10amp from the default which I think was 16amp. So you might need a bit of trial and error on that. Apart from that it worked fine with the cable going under the garage door to the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #42
BimmerStanMan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
I tried my 3pin plug on day 1 and it tripped my fuses so I had to drop the amps in the car menu to 10amp from the default which I think was 16amp. So you might need a bit of trial and error on that. Apart from that it worked fine with the cable going under the garage door to the car.
I used it a few times whilst playing with a 1 week trial car. I too limited the car to 10A to be on the safe side. Best not to connect to an extension lead unless you are very confident in the rating and quality of the extension lead.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #43
JW_77
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
Yes, exactly this. Had some short term experience with a loan plug in hybrid (X5 xdrive45e) that I tried to charge up using the 3 pin plug. It worked fine in the beginning but then tripped after a while so also had to lower the current limit.

Also watch out if you plan to use an extension cable (if a socket is not nearby) as many are limited to 10 amps max, and then only when fully unwound. Drawing a high current for an extended period can cause the cables to warm up so something else to watch out for.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #44
Zondervan
Rep

Thanks guys, might have to try and expedite getting the EV charger fitted!
Appreciate 0