BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Question to the stealth hitch towers

Hey all,

I'm researching travel trailers for hitting the parks next year and looking for something to tow behind my BM3 enabled X3MC with stealth hitch. Stealth hitch says their hitch is rated to 6k lbs /500 tongue weight but goes on to say that the X3M is only rated to 5,500 lbs at 350 tongue. Am I to assume the hitch is stronger than the BMW chassis and therefore limited? I'm looking at travel trailers in the 6k lbs range with 500 pounds on the tongue and plan to runa a weight distribution hitch to further lighten the load on the tongue. Factory towing specs on our car are hard to come by as bmw never meant for it to tow (no factory offering), but I can't help but think that our M powerplant, brakes, and transmission cooler (with a slightly lowered stance and 15m spacers) would also make this a seriously good tower (better than my M40i) . I have pulled some heavy loads with my single axel, aluminum utility trailer thus far with zero problems. Has anyone tried to pull a full on travel trailer with our beast, and if so what was your experience? I don't want to buy more RV than I can haul, but I don't want to unessecarily cramp myself with something too small either. Any good advice on the topic is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Try looking on the BMW Germany website as theirs had the option. I saw it with my own eyes at the Welt, but they were less than helpful when I was asking about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Hey all,

I'm researching travel trailers for hitting the parks next year and looking for something to tow behind my BM3 enabled X3MC with stealth hitch. Stealth hitch says their hitch is rated to 6k lbs /500 tongue weight but goes on to say that the X3M is only rated to 5,500 lbs at 350 tongue. Am I to assume the hitch is stronger than the BMW chassis and therefore limited? I'm looking at travel trailers in the 6k lbs range with 500 pounds on the tongue and plan to runa a weight distribution hitch to further lighten the load on the tongue. Factory towing specs on our car are hard to come by as bmw never meant for it to tow (no factory offering), but I can't help but think that our M powerplant, brakes, and transmission cooler (with a slightly lowered stance and 15m spacers) would also make this a seriously good tower (better than my M40i) . I have pulled some heavy loads with my single axel, aluminum utility trailer thus far with zero problems. Has anyone tried to pull a full on travel trailer with our beast, and if so what was your experience? I don't want to buy more RV than I can haul, but I don't want to unessecarily cramp myself with something too small either. Any good advice on the topic is greatly appreciated.
Here, did it for you:

"Die Anhängerkupplung mit elektrisch schwenkbarem Kugelkopf ist für hohe Anhängelasten bis zu 2.400 kg zugelassen. Zur Stabilisierung bremst die Anhänger-Stabilitätskontrolle bei einem Pendeln des Anhängers das Zugfahrzeug automatisch ab. Unter die Heckschürze geklappt ist der elektrisch schwenkbare Kugelkopf nicht sichtbar."

"The trailer coupling with an electrically swiveling ball head is approved for high trailer loads of up to 2,400 kg. For stabilization, the trailer stability control brakes the towing vehicle automatically when the trailer swings. When folded under the rear apron, the electrically swiveling ball head is not visible."
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Your tow capacity is limited to what the rear of the chassis can handle. The 350 tongue weight is correct.

I have towed small enclosed and open uhaul trailers all of which were under that rating no problem. I tried a test at the end of summer to pull a boat around my property.

21' bowrider - 2800 lbs
trailer - 1155 lbs
total combined weight of say ~4000 lbs

When I hitched it up to the rear of the X4MC the rear end dipped significantly where the front end was visibility higher, it was quite the up pitch. I didn't even bother trying to drive around or move it. No way would that be safe being pulled down the road. Most balanced trailers have between 10-15% weight on the tongue. In my case it 12% so 480lbs.

Also weight disto hitches are not compatible with the stealth system so that eliminates that.

The stealth is ok for very light duty work on our vehicles. Nothing more.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 12-28-2020 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
Transfer5251.00
      12-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
crst4s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60

I have seen posts on the G01 forum where UK owners report towing "caravans" up to 1700 kgs without any trouble.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

MrItaly I know you got an RV for the F95. from your experience now, what is the max dry weight F95 can tow? any models works better than the other?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

I don't believe you can run a weight distribution system on the stealth hitch.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
08mojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

As said, you cannot run weight distribution on the stealth hitch. You are also correct: the limiting factor is the X3, not the stealth hitch.

You also need to think about the relatively short wheelbase of the X3--that makes it not such a great tow vehicle for a longer trailer (RV camper).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:16 AM   #9
ralf12a
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m40i

Hallo, Entschuldigung für den späten Kommentar. Ich suche eine Anhängerkupplung mit einer Tragfähigkeit von bis zu 2.400 kg. Irgendeine empfehlenswerte Quelle? Ich habe verschiedene Anhängerin Websites besucht, aber die eigentliche nicht bekommen.

Last edited by ralf12a; 07-05-2022 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0