BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #1
NewbieIX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

The Infamous "blue bits"

Good evening all. Hope you are well

I have an order through Tusker as part of their coming soon vehicles. Theyve given me a blanket response of all IX3 have blue bits on. Yet I havent seen many, and everyone on the IX3 facebook group has it without.

Ive just been sent an itemised list from the dealer and it has - 3DE Model Specific Design Elements. I assume this means the blue bits are there?

Ive read a few posts and it seems to be confusing as to what it means, and if its yay or nay to them.

Does anyone have a definite answer, or ordered a pro recently and which way around it is.

I hate the blue, so will have to wrap it or something if it comes with it. Ive asked BMW via the email but no idea how long they will take to answer.

Cheers for any info
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If it helps, I picked up my IX3 a week ago and it had 3DE Model Specific Design Elements listed on the order form and my car does not have the blue bits. As far as I'm aware in the UK you would have to delete 3DE for it to have the blue bits. Mines white but don't think it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:29 PM   #3
NewbieIX3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
If it helps, I picked up my IX3 a week ago and it had 3DE Model Specific Design Elements listed on the order form and my car does not have the blue bits. As far as I'm aware in the UK you would have to delete 3DE for it to have the blue bits. Mines white but don't think it makes a difference.
Thanks for your reply, definitely helps my blue anxiety lol. I know some like it, but I have no idea what they were thinking adding it, especially the rear bits
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 06:32 AM   #4
NewbieIX3
Registered
Rep

Good news. No blue bits.

If the 3de code is on your list it means they are removed
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
systrade25
Registered
Rep
Drives: ix3

Hi NewbieIX3,

I'm in the same predicament - ready to pull the trigger on the ix3 m sport pro through Tusker but conscious the spec says rear diffuser in blue which I'm not a big fan of to say the least. (spec below)

Is there a way to find out through Tusker? or is it a case of hoping the 3DE code is on the list from the dealer?

Any help appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 01:51 AM   #6
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Hi

Are you able to specify options for your car through Tusker? If you look at the uk configurator, you’ll see the no cost option as Frozen Grey exterior design elements, which is the code you quoted, that needs to specified as part of the order to be sure you don’t get the blue bits.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
systrade25
Registered
Rep
Drives: ix3

Hi Mogwai888

Unfortunately I can only specify the paint/colour within Tusker. I've submitted the order so I will follow up with the dealer in a week or so.

Fingers cross for no blue bits - Tusker did say I could just cancel if there are none available without the blue diffuser.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2023, 12:27 AM   #8
NewbieIX3
Registered
Rep

I've done mine through tusker. You can only amend the blue parts when ordering factory built but they currently only have "in stock" cars.

Tusker were adamant that all ix3 come with blue parts. When I spoke to BMW they said they don't sell them with blue bits now.

You should get the spec list from BMW soon and it should have the 3DE code on
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #9
beemerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x1

Black bits replacement?

For those whose iX3s have come with the blue bits, is this a permanent solution to covering up the glaring blue bits? (I'm happy with the very subtle black grille blue bits)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006078908902.html

Not sure how long the sticky tape will hold up though. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 06:44 PM   #10
richiemccaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy View Post
For those whose iX3s have come with the blue bits, is this a permanent solution to covering up the glaring blue bits? (I'm happy with the very subtle black grille blue bits)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006078908902.html

Not sure how long the sticky tape will hold up though. Thoughts?
Depends on how much and well you apply it the first time round. During my first try the one of the exhaust covers came off after a month or so but were held in place cause of the screws so I remove it and reapplied more tape. Made sure to minimize gaps along the boundaries.

As for the front fangs, one of the pair came off totally and was lost forever while the other is still pretty solid.

The seller gave me a roll of the double sided tape so I used that to reapply.

Overall I would think if you minimize gaps along the boundaries where rain or dust may come in and affect the adhesion, you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #11
hays1982
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Don’t worry, mine came with the blue and I’ve blanked them out with black caps from Ali express, would never have known now they were ever blue
Attached Images

Appreciate 2