BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
CalmCommuter
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Drive Recorder not working on 1st record of the day.

Anyone else noticed that on first use of the drive recorder after not using it for a few days, it fails to record the lead in or before section?

I have mine set to 20s before and 20s after. However, when I go to use it to record something like a near miss, I only get the 20s after the event, which is kinda useless. If I press it again a few minutes later I get the full 40s, 20 before and 20 after.

Since I primarily want this to record in the event of an accident, I'm concerned that in the moment when it matters, it's going to let me down.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 02:48 PM   #2
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

I tested it this morning, I hadn’t used it since March. It worked first time and captured 20 seconds either side.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
CalmCommuter
Rep

Thanks. I've tested mine each day this week and it's only worked once. All other times it's claimed to be recording 40s worth but when I go to play it back, it only has the 20s from when I pressed the button 😔
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #4
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmCommuter View Post
Thanks. I've tested mine each day this week and it's only worked once. All other times it's claimed to be recording 40s worth but when I go to play it back, it only has the 20s from when I pressed the button 😔
I accepted the permissions for the drive recorder some months back to enable it but have never used it so thought I would give it a go today for the very first time.

Didn't quite press the camera button long enough the first time to activate but once I did it stated it was recording from 20 seconds (I have 20 before/after on all 4 cameras) and it recorded the 20 seconds before as it should.

Not many replies, so difficult to know if it is specific to your vehicle or is likely to happen to any of us just at the time we need the important action that happened just before we pressed the button!

Maybe worth taking it in and hopefully they can re-create it. Having said that if they do re-create it then the only evidence will likely be a 20 second video instead of a 40 second video of which you should have several to show them already.

Also if your video starts at 20 seconds and runs for 20 seconds finishing at 40 seconds then they cannot say your setting was 10 before/after.

Perhaps a download of the videos would be enough to send the dealer in the first instance?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 12:29 AM   #5
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

If you need to demo, I'd suggest taking a video on your phone of the problem occurring, I've noticed some 20 second and some 40 second on mine, but not really had a look why, could be user error on my end, will have a play when I am out next
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
CalmCommuter
Rep

So that's what I'm seeing. They all claim to be 40s while recoding, but sometimes they're only 20s at playback.

The only consistent thing is the 20s recordings are the first ones since starting the car.

Waiting on a call with a BMW tech guy, but it seems like a bug.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #7
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Defo get the same on mine, it's very hit and miss, some I get the full 40, and some are only 20 post button press, like you say it's a lottery if it was automatically triggered, would you get the 20 before. During the recording it suggests it has the 20 before, but in the playback menu it's only the 20 after.

I can't recreate it everytime, I'd say about 25% failure rate. Let us know how you get on with the tech, and if there is anything you'd like me to try?

I also find pushing the button for 3-4 seconds way too long, by the time you've found the button, and pressed it, the moment is gone. Wonder if you can program it to a short cut button.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 03:40 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I tested mine this morning. 40s recording on first and subsequent recordings.
Appreciate 0