BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2022, 06:55 AM   #1
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Wifi Questions

Had my car a couple of weeks now and have a few queries regarding wifi.

Is it possible to connect the car to home/destination wifi network (for OTA updates etc)?

When trying to use the car as a wifi hotspot, does the mobile device need to be registered with the car, or can any passenger use the hotspot (if they are given the password)?

What are the data limits of the onboard data sim?
Can you add data?
Can you replace the sim with another data-only sim?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

From what I understand in order to use the WIFI hotspot off your car you would need to buy a data plan from a service provider and use that. I did not bother with that.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 12:23 AM   #3
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
Had my car a couple of weeks now and have a few queries regarding wifi.

Is it possible to connect the car to home/destination wifi network (for OTA updates etc)?

When trying to use the car as a wifi hotspot, does the mobile device need to be registered with the car, or can any passenger use the hotspot (if they are given the password)?

What are the data limits of the onboard data sim?
Can you add data?
Can you replace the sim with another data-only sim?

I went through something I found somewhere in the app and you have to register with T mobile. You get a trial period (it might have been a month) if you subscribe, but the subscription fees were ludicrous.

I can’t remember the exact figures, but whatever you are paying for your mobile phone, triple it and then triple it again and you might be half way there for a 1 gig a month subscription of mobile data!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 01:47 AM   #4
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Soul View Post
I went through something I found somewhere in the app and you have to register with T mobile. You get a trial period (it might have been a month) if you subscribe, but the subscription fees were ludicrous.

I can’t remember the exact figures, but whatever you are paying for your mobile phone, triple it and then triple it again and you might be half way there for a 1 gig a month subscription of mobile data!
That is what I suspected.
I assume it is not possible to exchange with your own data sim?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Yea I got the T-Mobile sign up stuff and the charges were ridiculous. Couldn’t find a way to use my own contract or sim. Just use my own phone via apple now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
lenuisible
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 B9

I used to have Remote SIM Access Profile (rSAP) with my previous car (Audi A4 B9) + Samsung smartphone. It kind of duplicates your smartphone SIM and allows to use the car antennas for better mobile reception and create a Wi-Fi hot-spot with your phone data plan. Unfortunately iX3 doesn't support rSAP and less and less phones do.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #7
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Yea I went through the T-Mobile sign up and trial but I didn’t really use it in the trial as I was mostly using apple car play. The charges seemed high also. You can share the Wi-Fi with passengers via a normal Wi-Fi ssid and passcode. I can see it being useful if I wanted to use a laptop or non sim tablet but that’s not something I need.
Appreciate 0