BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #199
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
Well they suck then
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:12 PM   #200
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Has this issue been resolved at the Factory and/or OEM Vendor for current/future deliveries?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 02:27 AM   #201
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxzptlk View Post
to clarify, bmw does an estimate.

The estimate is performed by the dealer. I just needed to take some time out of my day to bring the vehicle back and have the paintshop at the dealer perform the estimate and submit it to bmw.
went from this
Name:  IMG_4619.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  248.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4627.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  525.2 KB

to this in 2-3 months

Name:  IMG_6081.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  282.2 KB

I had notified the SA but I couldn't meet up the rep that has to approve it first but glad to hear the process has been done.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #202
Klazu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Wow, that is really visible! My repainted rear bumper underside has been holding good for 6 months now. MY2021 in Donington Gray.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 03:23 PM   #203
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
Using this thread as a guide I put 3M PPF on some of the problem areas. They’re out of sight so I didn’t fret too much about doing a good job but it’s actually pretty easy and gives some piece of mind.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      06-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #204
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

Can anyone advise me on this situation?

I brought in the car once to my local service advisor in FL. They took pictures and then contacted a rep. The rep responded with a visit but I had already left FL to the west coast for serveral months, the service advisor said ok bring it in when I come back. The response took him 3 weeks so I didn’t want keep waiting before making plans.

The peeling has gotten worse, so I decided to try fixing it here in Seattle figured it would be the same process. I didn’t want to wait till I get the car back to the east coast to do it. So I contacted a service advisor and he asked me to send pictures here in Seattle area (Bellevue BMW). A few hours later the service advisor said the rep responded with “bmw will not cover the repair”. The service advisor told me to contact the selling dealer, which I did and I’m waiting for a response for now.

I’m pissed how this BMW of NA rep would decline a repair if they haven’t even seen the bumper in person. Meanwhile the FL one was going to review in person just timing didn’t work out with me. Multiple body shops have told me this was a poor prep job that’s why the paint isn’t sticking. The bumper has never been repainted so clearly a manufacturers fault.

I know I’m not the only person with this issue so I wanted to know if anyone knows any keywords or internal bulletin where I can point this regional NOrth America BMW Rep to. Is there something I need to say to even get this guy to come out to look at it. I haven’t responded to the new service advisor yet after he told me to contact the selling dealer. In my mind, wtf is the selling dealer going to do, but I’m always open to options so doesn’t hurt to try. I was thinking I would come here for a little advice before responding.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #205
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkipine69 View Post
Can anyone advise me on this situation?

I brought in the car once to my local service advisor in FL. They took pictures and then contacted a rep. The rep responded with a visit but I had already left FL to the west coast for serveral months, the service advisor said ok bring it in when I come back. The response took him 3 weeks so I didn’t want keep waiting before making plans.

The peeling has gotten worse, so I decided to try fixing it here in Seattle figured it would be the same process. I didn’t want to wait till I get the car back to the east coast to do it. So I contacted a service advisor and he asked me to send pictures here in Seattle area (Bellevue BMW). A few hours later the service advisor said the rep responded with “bmw will not cover the repair”. The service advisor told me to contact the selling dealer, which I did and I’m waiting for a response for now.

I’m pissed how this BMW of NA rep would decline a repair if they haven’t even seen the bumper in person. Meanwhile the FL one was going to review in person just timing didn’t work out with me. Multiple body shops have told me this was a poor prep job that’s why the paint isn’t sticking. The bumper has never been repainted so clearly a manufacturers fault.

I know I’m not the only person with this issue so I wanted to know if anyone knows any keywords or internal bulletin where I can point this regional NOrth America BMW Rep to. Is there something I need to say to even get this guy to come out to look at it. I haven’t responded to the new service advisor yet after he told me to contact the selling dealer. In my mind, wtf is the selling dealer going to do, but I’m always open to options so doesn’t hurt to try. I was thinking I would come here for a little advice before responding.
From my experience, BMW doesn't make it easy for the owner to get this paint issue recognized as a warranty item. I've had to forcibly follow up and cajole my SA to get the ball rolling and follow through on getting BMW to recognize the paint issue and finally approve a paint correction.

The following is a quick summary of what I had to go through to get BMW approval to repaint my bumper and rear spoiler.

- Shop Foreman review and validated paint issue
- Regional BMW rep review and validated paint issue
- BMW Engineer review and validated paint issue

Current process has BMW needing validation from the Regional Rep and a BMW Engineer; the shop foreman can look at it and agree but that won't really do squat.

As far as being told to go take refer to your selling dealer to get the paint issue addressed, I'd say that's utter bullshit. There are 2 dealers in my area. (I purchased my vehicle from dealer located farther away; the dealer that looked at the paint issue and ended processing the paint issue claim was the other dealer) the rep you dealt with is either misinformed or lazy.

It definitely sucks having to jump through hoops just to get this issue recognized given that this issue is BMW's fault not the owners'.

Expect having to visit the dealer multiple times to get this looked at. Also, Regional Reps and BMW Engineers are not readily onsite to look at your vehicle; from what I've been told they visit once a month so you'll have to work your schedule to catch them.

PiTA yes it is. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #206
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
From my experience, BMW doesn't make it easy for the owner to get this paint issue recognized as a warranty item. I've had to forcibly follow up and cajole my SA to get the ball rolling and follow through on getting BMW to recognize the paint issue and finally approve a paint correction.

The following is a quick summary of what I had to go through to get BMW approval to repaint my bumper and rear spoiler.

- Shop Foreman review and validated paint issue
- Regional BMW rep review and validated paint issue
- BMW Engineer review and validated paint issue

Current process has BMW needing validation from the Regional Rep and a BMW Engineer; the shop foreman can look at it and agree but that won't really do squat.

As far as being told to go take refer to your selling dealer to get the paint issue addressed, I'd say that's utter bullshit. There are 2 dealers in my area. (I purchased my vehicle from dealer located farther away; the dealer that looked at the paint issue and ended processing the paint issue claim was the other dealer) the rep you dealt with is either misinformed or lazy.

It definitely sucks having to jump through hoops just to get this issue recognized given that this issue is BMW's fault not the owners'.

Expect having to visit the dealer multiple times to get this looked at. Also, Regional Reps and BMW Engineers are not readily onsite to look at your vehicle; from what I've been told they visit once a month so you'll have to work your schedule to catch them.

PiTA yes it is. Good Luck
Thanks. Does anyone here have anything on paper or email that references this problem? maybe paper work/receipt or something. I want to go in with guns blazing to the Seattle Area dealer with all the ammunition I can or can I just reference this thread at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #207
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

I went back to the dealer, again rejected my claim. This time with the response of “jagged edging from the paint peel means physical damage was done to the paint” the rep won’t even entertain about seeing the paint himself. Am I stuck here? It’s not the SA fault, he told me to try escalating to BMW NA claims, will that get my car black listed if no by BMW NA?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #208
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Quote:
I went back to the dealer, again rejected my claim. This time with the response of “jagged edging from the paint peel means physical damage was done to the paint” the rep won’t even entertain about seeing the paint himself. Am I stuck here? It’s not the SA fault, he told me to try escalating to BMW NA claims, will that get my car black listed if no by BMW NA?
WTF. "jagged edging.. " Never seen paint peel in a nice rounded patterns.

Sounds like the rep has their blinders on and is being an ass. I would say try what the SA suggested; escalate and refer them to this thread.

Wasn't there a TSB regarding paint issues tied to a list of US built vehicles which covered X3s? I could've sworn I either read a mention of it or saw a copy of the doc itself; just not sure if it was here on other bimmerpost forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 06:02 PM   #209
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
……will that get my car black listed if no by BMW NA?
Black listed? Lol, not sure what you mean by that. I’d def escalate and try to research if it’s a known issue with service bulletin. Thought I read somewhere that bumpers were painted by a 3rd party vendor (not BMWNA) and a huge batch was crappy or something, but I’m grasping at vague recollections.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:30 AM   #210
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

I just emailed BMW Genius, hopefully I can get this escalated soon. This isn't sitting well with me since I'm basically the only person here having a difficult time getting this paint peeling issue fixed smoothly. One bad egg can ruin the whole experience.

Last edited by porkipine69; 06-15-2022 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #211
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

I got confirmation from another BMW NA Rep East saying he's seen this issue before and that indeed it's a bad prep job. I'll be forwarding that to the current local SA and customer relations immediately and showing up at that dealer. I got confirmation via my selling dealer who got in contact with a rep. I really hate people that likes to make things more difficult than it needs to be. Keep in mind, the current rep thats been responding to my claims have been in the PNW/Seattle area.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:03 PM   #212
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Quote:
I got confirmation from another BMW NA Rep East saying he's seen this issue before and that indeed it's a bad prep job. I'll be forwarding that to the current local SA and customer relations immediately and showing up at that dealer. I got confirmation via my selling dealer who got in contact with a rep. I really hate people that likes to make things more difficult than it needs to be. Keep in mind, the current rep thats been responding to my claims have been in the PNW/Seattle area.
Good to hear that you got some traction. Hopefully it goes through gets addressed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #213
STi from DSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I had peeling paint on my black X3MC on the rear passenger wheel well.
      06-16-2022, 01:51 AM   #214
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Good to hear that you got some traction. Hopefully it goes through gets addressed.
Of course the current rep I need to hear from is taking PTO until next Wednesday. I went back to the dealer again and the service advisor is like, I need to get BMW Customer Service to get this guy to look at it again even though BMW EAST Rep says this, it doesn't matter because I need the WEST to do it....apparently. The SA at BMW Bellevue wont give me the name of the BMW NA Rep of the Seattle area but he's like, there's only one. I forwarded the email I received from the East Rep and he's like I'll send it to the rep here but still I need to get Customer Service to be involved or else this West Rep will probably do nothing. Isn't that frustrating?!

So Later on after I left the dealer, I called BMW Customer Service, man, the guy on the phone wasn't very helpful or reassuring. Hamza was his name and he kept insisting I go back to the dealer that just shot me down and..I'm like go back and do what?!?!? I'm like I need to make or start a claim!!!! He's like I can't do that, only the dealer can...I'm like the effing dealer told me to call you!!! then he changed his tone, ok well I'll fill out something and I'll get the dealer to contact you...I'm like great and thanks!

What if the only way I can get this fix is by sending the car to the Pennsylvania dealer to get this warrantied out? Think I can legally get BMW NA to cover the expenses for shipping the car out to Pennsylvania from Seattle because of this one West Coast Rep?:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:50 PM   #215
gapband
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Any update on this thread? I'm asking because I believe I have joined this club

The car is brand new and I picked it up 4 days ago. The paint appears to be bubbling up/peeling/missing on the rear diffuser on the passenger side.

This is pretty disappointing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:10 AM   #216
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapband View Post

The car is brand new and I picked it up 4 days ago. The paint appears to be bubbling up/peeling/missing on the rear diffuser on the passenger side.

Bring it right back and show it to them.

Frankly, this is getting kinda ridiculous. Cmon now BMW, $90k vehicle with peeling paint.. WTF
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:11 AM   #217
porkipine69
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapband View Post

very nice! I got called up on tuesday and I havent heard an update since. Customer Relations said they will call me back within 48 hours. lol it didn't happen soo still waiting
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #218
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Has anyone done PCD and experienced this issue at delivery in Spartanburg? My car is finishing up today and I'm going out to do PCD next month for delivery, so it should sit there for 3-4 weeks before I pick it up. Wondering if that's enough time for the issue to present, and also wondering what to do if I see any issues?

Do you consider rejecting delivery when you're there? Not even sure if that's an option since it's paid for by then, but seems like it might be better to get it addressed there at the factory than work through the dealer back home. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #219
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Paint peeling ain't a good thing to begin with….Hate em with passion
Appreciate 1
Daalsip43.50
      07-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #220
mr.almeida
Private
Rep
Drives: F97

I just started my claim process today. The body shop manager looked at it and agreed that it's peeling. Took pictures and will make a claim to the regional BMW rep. Will get back to me in 2-3 weeks.
Appreciate 1
gapband238.50