BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2017, 02:46 AM   #1
Motr1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

X3 F25 Transfer Case

Hi
Am new here and this is my first post.
Had a issue with X3 F25 2011 transfer case. All 3 lights came on 4x4 brake and ABS. After replacing the actuator motor. Now I have DSC light permanently on.
Scanned the VTG and fault says transfer case ATC X50 does not match with the vehicle type. I tried coding with Launch and looks like the coding is incorrect. Now it's not letting me code again.
Any Ideas!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
OrangeUFO
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Hi,
I have the same issue. How did you fix yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

I think you need to use ISTA to read gearbox class and then write it to transfer box unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
maruti
Rep
Drives: f30

hello
i have same problem any one help me

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #5
kmw2586
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li Xdrive

Anyone solve the issue?

Hello, I know this is an old thread but did anyone resolve the issue? Replaced transfer case with refurbished unit but turns out VTG control module was bad so replaced with new one. Dealer programmed it and now permanent DSC light with DSC/transfer case fault - incorrect installation transfer case ATC X50 does not match with the vehicle type. Refurbished unit was correct according to realOEM and came from reputable seller.

willywi, do you have any more details on your recommended solution? How do you read the gearbox class and then write it to the VTG?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw2586 View Post
Hello, I know this is an old thread but did anyone resolve the issue? Replaced transfer case with refurbished unit but turns out VTG control module was bad so replaced with new one. Dealer programmed it and now permanent DSC light with DSC/transfer case fault - incorrect installation transfer case ATC X50 does not match with the vehicle type. Refurbished unit was correct according to realOEM and came from reputable seller.

willywi, do you have any more details on your recommended solution? How do you read the gearbox class and then write it to the VTG?
You will need to download ISTA first.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
kmw2586
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
You will need to download ISTA first.
Yes, I have ISTA. Also, is the gearbox classification you are referring to the 3 or 4 digit classification number located on the transfer box? Because I do have that. I believe it is different from the old transfer box. Guessing the dealer did not correctly update this information when they installed and programmed/coded the new VTG.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
kmw2586
Rep

I also have a Foxwell scan tool that has these 2 transfer box/VTG service functions:

1 - Servomotor and clutch - Activation for 20s (think this may be the same thing as calibration as this is what dealer described calibration process as? - Foxwell support also told me the scan tool can indeed perform calibration)
2 - Transfer case repair - options:
1 - Old transfer box control unit is still installed
2 - Transfer box control unit has already been replaced and gearbox class was read out of old control unit
3 - Old transfer box control unit cannot be addressed
4 - Initialization of transfer box control unit
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
kmw2586
Rep

No luck

Welp, so much for that theory. The Foxwell scan tool correctly carried out the Repair - 2 - Transfer box control unit has already been replaced and gearbox class was read out of old control unit service function (tried the 1 - Old transfer box control unit is still installed but it stated the old gearbox classification couldn't be read out). I manually entered in the gearbox class from the refurbished transfer box and successfully carried out the procedure but no change in codes/lights. Cleared the codes and they came right back. Also, at the end, it said the unit needed to be calibrated. I tried the "Servomotor and clutch - Activation for 20" option but it failed. Tried it with the engine off and it still failed and brought up the brake and ABS lights and errors that were there when the old defective VTG was in the car. Almost had a heart attack. Also, spit out these codes:

ICMQL -

D016E4 - Message (distribution, longitudinal moment, front axle/rear axle 19.3.4) missing receiver ICM, transmitter transfer box

Vertical ride/height management -

D76DF2 - DSC interface (braking torque, 63.1.4): Signal invalid

DSC -

480682 Transfer case fault: Clutch position unknown

48068C Transfer box temporary fault (temperature)

48097D
Transfer box fault: Clutch position known (only rear-wheel drive available)

D35940 Signal (predefined damper, share passive, 72.1.2) invalid. transmitter VDM/EDC

Transfer Box LRV [VTG] -

440116 - Transfer box (VTG): Classification does not match VTG

Carried out the first service function again and thankfully the new lights/codes went away. So either it can't be calibrated or that function actually isn't a calibration function (guessing it's the former and I think the dealer technician mentioned something about all this). I think this points back to the dealer's original assertion that it's the refurbished transfer box that isn't correct for the car. Given that the ATC350 classification is internal (not an external resistor), I wonder if the internal refurbished parts/setup corresponds to a different classification than is engraved on the outside of the transfer box? I should have taken a picture, but when I input the gearbox classification, on the next page it gave a couple internal values/measurements that I'm assuming corresponds to that classification. I will reach out to the refurbisher and see what else I can learn.

Apologies that my situation is a bit different from OP's situation, but if anyone had this issue solved, I would really appreciate their input!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:20 PM   #10
dl123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Frozen Silver M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw2586 View Post
Welp, so much for that theory. The Foxwell scan tool correctly carried out the Repair - 2 - Transfer box control unit has already been replaced and gearbox class was read out of old control unit service function (tried the 1 - Old transfer box control unit is still installed but it stated the old gearbox classification couldn't be read out). I manually entered in the gearbox class from the refurbished transfer box and successfully carried out the procedure but no change in codes/lights. Cleared the codes and they came right back. Also, at the end, it said the unit needed to be calibrated. I tried the "Servomotor and clutch - Activation for 20" option but it failed. Tried it with the engine off and it still failed and brought up the brake and ABS lights and errors that were there when the old defective VTG was in the car. Almost had a heart attack. Also, spit out these codes:

ICMQL -

D016E4 - Message (distribution, longitudinal moment, front axle/rear axle 19.3.4) missing receiver ICM, transmitter transfer box

Vertical ride/height management -

D76DF2 - DSC interface (braking torque, 63.1.4): Signal invalid

DSC -

480682 Transfer case fault: Clutch position unknown

48068C Transfer box temporary fault (temperature)

48097D
Transfer box fault: Clutch position known (only rear-wheel drive available)

D35940 Signal (predefined damper, share passive, 72.1.2) invalid. transmitter VDM/EDC

Transfer Box LRV [VTG] -

440116 - Transfer box (VTG): Classification does not match VTG

Carried out the first service function again and thankfully the new lights/codes went away. So either it can't be calibrated or that function actually isn't a calibration function (guessing it's the former and I think the dealer technician mentioned something about all this). I think this points back to the dealer's original assertion that it's the refurbished transfer box that isn't correct for the car. Given that the ATC350 classification is internal (not an external resistor), I wonder if the internal refurbished parts/setup corresponds to a different classification than is engraved on the outside of the transfer box? I should have taken a picture, but when I input the gearbox classification, on the next page it gave a couple internal values/measurements that I'm assuming corresponds to that classification. I will reach out to the refurbisher and see what else I can learn.

Apologies that my situation is a bit different from OP's situation, but if anyone had this issue solved, I would really appreciate their input!
Has this issue been resolved? I'm have the same problem.
Appreciate 0