BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-04-2021, 04:22 AM   #45
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-X4M40i View Post
I got rears in correct 275/35/21 size but went for 255/40/21 instead of 245/40/21 on the front as they were £100+ cheaper
Both were from Black Circles and delivered to my local fitter
You'll just about get away with this as theres a 1% difference between them in terms of circumference. if you run the pressures on the a little lower you'll close the gap.

For all that wanted to know:
- Kwik Fit had the rears in stock
- National Tyres has the fronts in stock.

I actually had to cancel & re-order the fronts, as in the time between ordering & fitting the price dropped about 120 quid. Luckily, they had already shipped them to the local depot, so I go the same tyres anyway, just had to wait another day
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      06-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #46
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-X4M40i View Post
I got rears in correct 275/35/21 size but went for 255/40/21 instead of 245/40/21 on the front as they were £100+ cheaper
Both were from Black Circles and delivered to my local fitter
So 255 are fine for fitment and Xdrive etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:21 AM   #47
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
You'll just about get away with this as theres a 1% difference between them in terms of circumference. if you run the pressures on the a little lower you'll close the gap.

I actually had to cancel & re-order the fronts, as in the time between ordering & fitting the price dropped about 120 quid. Luckily, they had already shipped them to the local depot, so I go the same tyres anyway, just had to wait another day
Thanks for that.

I see Michelin also have the MPS 4 SUV tyre now designed for SUV as name would suggest. If not heard any one having these fitted yet or much info on them?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 02:13 AM   #48
335is-dct
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Still haven't seen these available in the USA
Same
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:06 AM   #49
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Quote:

Thanks for that.

I see Michelin also have the MPS 4 SUV tyre now designed for SUV as name would suggest. If not heard any one having these fitted yet or much info on them?
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that.

They are firmer, and more design for the heavy x5/x7s. not much point tbh. Note that the x3m comes with the normal car version - so they are more than suitable I've done 2000 miles on mine now, very good!

I need to get my rfts listed actually, taking up space in the loft atm. Only done 1000 miles on them before taking them off
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
      06-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #50
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Still having issues finding the fronts, seems to have sold out and tears VERY expensive in 275...am I correct in saying X3M are running 265 on rear and 255 front?
Appreciate 1
md_m40i180.50
      06-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #51
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Still having issues finding the fronts, seems to have sold out and tears VERY expensive in 275...am I correct in saying X3M are running 265 on rear and 255 front?
Quote:
Yes, but they are a different size wheel - the widths aren't the same
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #52
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIB View Post
I needed them for the Touring as I was often heading to Heathrow in the winter at 3 am in the morning as well as driving north for my daughters Uni. I don't really need full winters now I have retired, but I have the set of wheels gathering dust and my road/drive is on a slope and hard to get out if and when it snows. In the recent snow I had to travel to a local vet and came down a steep hill with a snaking bend and was shocked that the X3 lost complete control after a sudden dumping of fresh snow.
The other option I am considering is to leave the X3 on the drive and fit a set of all seasons to my 118i. Its a much cheaper option for those few days when summers are a liability.
Sounds mildly ironic that you would use a small 2WD car in the snow rather than a SUV AWD...but yes I do understand
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #53
Tubes23
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive Comp

Considered it when changing recently, but wasn't underwhelmed by the OEM Bridgestone and I think I'm beyond the point in my life where the agg of not having runflats without a spare outweighs the slight performance gain beraing in mind its still a family SUV with a punchy engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #54
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Anyone found these in the US yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #55
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubes23 View Post
Considered it when changing recently, but wasn't underwhelmed by the OEM Bridgestone and I think I'm beyond the point in my life where the agg of not having runflats without a spare outweighs the slight performance gain beraing in mind its still a family SUV with a punchy engine.
^this.

My game plan was to ditch RFT for nons when stock tires wore out… but honestly, I'm getting used to them and don't think they are (too) terrible. I still may go that route, but for now, I'm not leaning into it 100% as I thought I would. Regardless - I already bought a cheap winter setup so my interest in PS4 AS has now dropped to zero for this particular X4.

Still - maybe for future vehicles…
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 03:21 AM   #56
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Hi, as you know I have finally changed the tires on the X4, and luckily...because the Bridgestone Alenza had a serious defect as I explained in another thread.

In 21" there are very few options, although fortunately there is the one I wanted, Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and that is what I have mounted in the original size: 245/40 R21 - 275/35 R21.

On Thursday I already made a trip of almost 600 km, my usual journey, and what a difference... by far. They are much more comfortable, even though I notice them stiffer...it's hard to explain, but it's as if the sidewall absorbs irregularities much better (not being runflat should help with that), which increases silence and comfort, but at the same time the case itself is more rigid and gives a much better feeling of knowing what is going on underneath. That said, difficult to explain but a very positive feeling.

What to say about grip...night and day, from the middle of the journey I was already sure that I had removed all the protective paraffin layer, I did several tests and the grip is brutal, it is literally another car, and when you pass at low speed somewhere with some dirt or loose stones, you hear how they hit the wheel arch because everything sticks to it, as if they were chewing gum.

Aesthetically they are beautiful... I already have the new design with the velvety flank and checkered flag with a 3D effect, they are wonderful, and they have a fairly decent protective lip, something that didn't even exist in the Alenzas, which also, apart from protecting, gives it a more "fat" car aesthetic as we say in Spain.

That said, very very happy with the change, and what at first seemed like a whim since the others had only 24 thousand km and were quite good outside, has become a success when discovering the defect they had inside.

Here some pics after giving him a well-deserved "shower" on Saturday to get rid of tons of road salt.

Appreciate 5
ramparts1118.50
Lady Jane70145.50
oddieh0.00
Keefy1588.00
      02-14-2022, 03:25 AM   #57
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

I still love the colour of your car <3.

I'm literally having another set put on my 340 today haha, great tyres.
Appreciate 1
comber328.00
      02-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #58
Ldstern
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post
Hi, as you know I have finally changed the tires on the X4, and luckily...because the Bridgestone Alenza had a serious defect as I explained in another thread.

In 21" there are very few options, although fortunately there is the one I wanted, Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and that is what I have mounted in the original size: 245/40 R21 - 275/35 R21.

On Thursday I already made a trip of almost 600 km, my usual journey, and what a difference... by far. They are much more comfortable, even though I notice them stiffer...it's hard to explain, but it's as if the sidewall absorbs irregularities much better (not being runflat should help with that), which increases silence and comfort, but at the same time the case itself is more rigid and gives a much better feeling of knowing what is going on underneath. That said, difficult to explain but a very positive feeling.

What to say about grip...night and day, from the middle of the journey I was already sure that I had removed all the protective paraffin layer, I did several tests and the grip is brutal, it is literally another car, and when you pass at low speed somewhere with some dirt or loose stones, you hear how they hit the wheel arch because everything sticks to it, as if they were chewing gum.

Aesthetically they are beautiful... I already have the new design with the velvety flank and checkered flag with a 3D effect, they are wonderful, and they have a fairly decent protective lip, something that didn't even exist in the Alenzas, which also, apart from protecting, gives it a more "fat" car aesthetic as we say in Spain.

That said, very very happy with the change, and what at first seemed like a whim since the others had only 24 thousand km and were quite good outside, has become a success when discovering the defect they had inside.

Here some pics after giving him a well-deserved "shower" on Saturday to get rid of tons of road salt.

Have you noticed a decease in gas mileage due to increased rolling resistance compared to Alenzas??
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #59
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldstern View Post
Have you noticed a decease in gas mileage due to increased rolling resistance compared to Alenzas??
Actually what I have noticed is quite the opposite... I have to do more kilometers, next Thursday I will do about 500 km and next week another 1200 km, and I will have a better opinion, but my impression last Thursday is that it spent a little less gasoline, about 0.2 or 0.3 liters less every 100 km.

As I said, I have to do more kilometers because there are many factors that can have an influence (temperature, pressure, wind...).
Appreciate 1
Ldstern27.50
      02-14-2022, 10:22 AM   #60
Ldstern
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by comber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldstern View Post
Actually what I have noticed is quite the opposite... I have to do more kilometers, next Thursday I will do about 500 km and next week another 1200 km, and I will have a better opinion, but my impression last Thursday is that it spent a little less gasoline, about 0.2 or 0.3 liters less every 100 km.

As I said, I have to do more kilometers because there are many factors that can have an influence (temperature, pressure, wind...).
Thanks much for your experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #61
TC1856
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40, 2015 C7 Corvette

You’ve kept those 718m rims looking brand new. Did you ceramic them?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 02:40 AM   #62
Xfree
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F84, Audi S7

The new 245's are £408 each in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:59 AM   #63
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1856 View Post
You’ve kept those 718m rims looking brand new. Did you ceramic them?
Yes, the entire car has ceramic treatment, including the rims.

However, on cerium gray parts it does not work as well as it is a matte surface. They get dirty easily with brake dust, but if you don't leave it too long, they clean up well with a rim cleaner, although they don't look the same as if you cleaned them by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfree View Post
The new 245's are £408 each in the UK.
OMG... In my case, 1,529 € all included. Fronts are more expensive than rears.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #64
PAS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI BG

My initial thoughts before picking up the X3 M40i was to get the Bridgestones off as soon as possible once picking up the car, however the insane price and rarity of PS4S's in 245 section and also the fact that the current tyres don't actually feel too bad (once i reduced the delivery pressures down from 45PSI per tyre!) has meant that I will presist with them. In pretty awful UK weather since pick up they have provided plenty of grip and more than acceptable compliance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 03:45 AM   #65
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Anyone here try the all season version of these tires?
Appreciate 0