BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #1
BMWX34ME
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3

Vibration with engine off and in neutral while driving

Hi everyone; I need help!

My 2004 BMW X3 had developed a strong vibration that occurs while driving. The vibration happens while driving at most speeds but is most noticeable when slowing down with foot off the gas or accelerating at lower speeds. It's not so bad at highways speeds. The vibration rattles the entire car.

It's definitely not the engine. I've put it in neutral and turned off the engine but the vibration does not stop. Since putting it in neutral and turning off engine does not stop the vibration, I am confident that it's not the engine or a motor mounts. Also putting it in neutral and revving engine does not change the vibration at all.

I am also hearing a clanking/rattling sound from below the vehicle while driving though parking lots. It sounds like something is loose underneath the vehicle and that two pieces of metal are hitting each other at random. The sound is not continuous, uniform in tone, or constant. The sound reminds me of someone hitting a metal object with a hammer to make a bell like sound.

At first, I thought it was a brake pad or caliper but now I am thinking it's something to do with my transmission or drive train.

I don't have a four wheel drive or transmission warming light showing on the dash. Those warming lights are not turned on. I do have check engine light illuminated; lean condition and misfires on all cylinders. The vibration is not caused by the engine because turning off the engine and putting it in neutral does not change or stop the vibration.

Any suggestions on what it could be or how to diagnose this issue would be greatly appreciated.

The vehicle has about 180k miles on it.

Thank you!

Last edited by BMWX34ME; 08-30-2023 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 02:38 AM   #2
dgmh10uk@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 e83

Hi, I am in the same page that you, Mechanical told me that it could be possible to be the transmission due to the time. It could be repaired but it is quite expensive. ¿some people with the same issue? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:16 AM   #3
BMWX34ME
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3

DRIVESHAFT? FRONT and REAR + Bearing

Hi,

I am pretty sure the issue was my front and rear driveshaft; 2004 bmw x3 has both front and rear driveshaft that go bad with high miles. There is a bearing that hold the rear driveshaft that would also need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0