BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #1
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
BMW Extended Warranty and Maintenance

HI ,

I am trying to get extended warranty and maintenance for 2021 x3 m40i with about 28k miles . Is BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' and 'extended service contract' same ? Do anyone has the original bmw 'extended service contract' to share to check how does the wordings looks like and how much it should cost ?Once bought will it reflect on my bmw account ?

After 3 years is over if I get 'BMW Scheduled Maintenance Program Upgrade' it will just increase the maintenance by 2 years/75k miles, its being offered at $849. Is it worth it ? I am assuming it will not cover breaks and rotors ? Is that amount worth 2 extra year ? And in the meantime if I need to change brake and rotor can i then upgrade to the bmw ultimate protection at that time ?
2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:55 PM   #2
Timber25
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

To buy brakes and rotors for all 4 corners on the x3 is about $1100 usd. Take time and any needed tools into account. My rear brakes and rotors were due at 50k miles given all the trail braking from the TC system
Appreciate 1
davfer86150.00
      10-13-2023, 01:18 PM   #3
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber25 View Post
To buy brakes and rotors for all 4 corners on the x3 is about $1100 usd. Take time and any needed tools into account. My rear brakes and rotors were due at 50k miles given all the trail braking from the TC system
Thanks for the info . Are you aware if BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' and 'extended service contract' same ? Trying to find out but could not get any info yet. Everywhere they talk about 'extended service contract' but I am being offered BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' . Not sure if they are same .
2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishamber View Post
Thanks for the info . Are you aware if BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' and 'extended service contract' same ? Trying to find out but could not get any info yet. Everywhere they talk about 'extended service contract' but I am being offered BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' . Not sure if they are same .
Literally the first result from Google: https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...n-program.html

"Extended Service Contracts (ESC)
Coverage for your BMW should go above and beyond. ESC expands the coverage of your vehicle for up to 7 years, or 100,000 miles, and offers three levels of coverage so you can pick the exact one you need. In addition, BMW guarantees unmatched quality of care with all repairs completed with 100% Original BMW parts and at an authorized repair facility. "

There are a lot of threads here already about getting the best price for warranty and stuff so and make sure you get the best price.
arRod1981912.00
smaglik529.00
      10-14-2023, 07:29 AM   #5
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Literally the first result from Google: https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...n-program.html

"Extended Service Contracts (ESC)
Coverage for your BMW should go above and beyond. ESC expands the coverage of your vehicle for up to 7 years, or 100,000 miles, and offers three levels of coverage so you can pick the exact one you need. In addition, BMW guarantees unmatched quality of care with all repairs completed with 100% Original BMW parts and at an authorized repair facility. "

There are a lot of threads here already about getting the best price for warranty and stuff so and make sure you get the best price.
Thanks for your response , I have done all the search and is aware of "Extended Service Contracts (ESC) " but my question was if BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' and 'extended service contract' same or not as everywhere i see about "Extended Service Contracts (ESC) " but what my dealership is offering is BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' , so i am confused if both are same or different , dealer told its same but I didn't wanted to go blindly with his words so was taking help of you great people to know if its same or different as i could not find anything about 'Vehicle Service Contract' anywhere online .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #6
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your response , I have done all the search and is aware of "Extended Service Contracts (ESC) " but my question was if BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' and 'extended service contract' same or not as everywhere i see about "Extended Service Contracts (ESC) " but what my dealership is offering is BMW 'Vehicle Service Contract' , so i am confused if both are same or different , dealer told its same but I didn't wanted to go blindly with his words so was taking help of you great people to know if its same or different as i could not find anything about 'Vehicle Service Contract' anywhere online .
If you look at your pic, it says platinum. That automatically tells you that that’s the ESC or extended warranty.
      10-14-2023, 01:46 PM   #7
newtoncd8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i, JGC, RX330

In my experience with purchasing the BMW plan, the 'vehicle service protection' was an aftermarket product; whereas the 'extended vehicle protection' was BMW backed.
They are both referred to as platinum and offer similar coverages.
You didn't screen capture enough to see which you purchased (look near the bottom for who backs the product).
The two different options below.
Attached Images

Last edited by newtoncd8; 10-14-2023 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:02 PM   #8
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8 View Post
In my experience with purchasing the BMW plan, the 'vehicle service protection' was an aftermarket product; whereas the 'extended vehicle protection' was BMW backed.
You didn't screen capture enough to see which you purchased (look near the bottom for who backs the product).

Thats what my confusion was that 'vehicle service protection' was an aftermarket product as i don't see any reference for it anywhere online on bmw website .Here is the screenshot from the docs for 'vehicle service protection' and its says its from BMW. That's where my confusion is ... if its from bmw why different name 'vehicle service protection' instead of 'extended vehicle protection' ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 02:27 PM   #9
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoncd8 View Post
Here is the link to the policy wordings :- https://addedprotection.widen.net/s/.../bmwvsc-d2c_tc

Do you thing the platinum covers everything including all OEM electronics , infotainment and suspension etc ? I am unable to deduct that from the wording.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #10
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

Quote:
Here is the link to the policy wordings :- https://addedprotection.widen.net/s/.../bmwvsc-d2c_tc

Do you thing the platinum covers everything including all OEM electronics , infotainment and suspension etc ? I am unable to deduct that from the wording.
Why not call the dealer? Or, there is a guy on this forum that works for a dealer that apparently gives great prices on these. Search and your will find him. He would know.
      10-15-2023, 04:24 PM   #11
newtoncd8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You would need to read the contract, I don't know.

I originally purchased Safe-guard from our dealer in the Denver area and realized it was not an OEM plan. I cancelled it and went with the BMW plan (from one of the forum sponsors -- Christine). The OEM plan was cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #12
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Christine and Jeff both gave very competitive rates. I’d get quote from both as one is sometimes bette than the other.
      10-16-2023, 08:47 AM   #13
newtoncd8
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, when I say "aftermarket", I didn't meant to imply it is like Carshield -- just meant it isn't the 'official' BMW backed plan (ala what Christine or Jeff sell). A lot of dealers offer the Safe-guard product, which to me suggests they make more $$$ off of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 05:59 PM   #14
hiyaco
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Christine and Jeff both gave very competitive rates. I’d get quote from both as one is sometimes bette than the other.
Where do I find the info for these guys? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:02 PM   #15
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyaco View Post
Google. That’s how I found them.
      12-13-2023, 09:36 PM   #16
das boots
Senior Chief (Ret.)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 M3, '05 ZHP, '24 X4 M401

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
Why not call the dealer? Or, there is a guy on this forum that works for a dealer that apparently gives great prices on these. Search and your will find him. He would know.
Call Dealer and talk to the Finance guy. He has all the contracts and knowledge on ins and outs.
SCPO SW USN (ret)
BMW CCA 192742, NRA Life Member, F&A M
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 04:36 AM   #17
vrships
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

A full brake job including rotors and pads and sensors are expensive even without dealer gouging still costs nearly $1300. And it certainly takes longer than regular brake jobs because one must be careful not to scratch the nicely painted brake calipers...

So if you spend $2000 for a extended maintenence plan for however many years and make sure at least you use it once, then you break even. And that also include oil and filter change (~$100, parts cost) and spark plug change (~$80 parts cost) and brake fluid flush (~$100, parts and labor).

But I don't know how you can make the dealer perform specific job before the service was triggered
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 08:44 AM   #18
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyaco View Post
There's a search function on this forum, should be easy.

Two local BMW dealers around me could not beat Christine's quote (Christine Newman of Steve Thomas BMW). They had to go with a 3rd party (EasyCare) to beat it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:01 AM   #19
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

FWIW - trust in your dealer is the only thing that makes an extended warranty worth it. Whether they will fight BMW for coverage... or whether they are so busy with shop work (large metro area) that they don't have the motivation to push BMW for warranty dollars... it makes a difference in your experience during the warranty period.

-something to think about.
Appreciate 0