BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #89
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
You know - I am going to agree on this. BMW is new, has more tech in it, more power.

I have an M2 and a Cayenne. M2 is faster etc... You know the car I look back at after I lock is the cayenne. the one I prefer to drive is the cayenne, overall best car of my lot is the cayenne. M2 handles better now after nearly 6000 $ of suspension work. LOL There is a reason why porsche is so expensive.

I'd like to see a M8comp go against a turbo S. LOL or a gt3, which is the same price or near to an M8.

Anyhow both are very different brands. One I choose going forward is Porsche. M2 really made me dislike BMW.
I agree, Porsche knows how to property tune suspension.
what year/ model cayenne do you have?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #90
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Hey guys question about the X3M. I test drove one given all the rave reviews. The thing that bothered me the most (besides the really small driver seat) was if I mashed the gas from a stop - the car would very slowly get to 20mph and then whooosh take off very quickly. I timed it around 3 seconds from 0-20mph. I'm sure brake boosting/launch control would eliminate this, but sometimes u just need to floor it without bothering with brake boost/LC. And It didn't matter what mode I was in...comfort, sport, auto, manual. I tried everything. Obviously the auto start/stop was turned off.

The lag was also apparent just cruising and then I'd mash the gas and the car would spool for at least a second before it would do it's thing of downshifting and building boost. It was so bad I passed and am fearful the new M3 will drive like this too.
This has been discussed in many threads and is one of the main criticisms of the otherwise quite excellent X3M. The power delivery is very non-linear due to the relative lack of torque below about 3,500 rpm. The motor is so strong that the 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4-mile times are excellent because it is highly effective at high RPMs, and the car is wonderfully responsive at speed with the RPMs above 3,000, but the lag is very noticeable in every day driving, especially from a stop and especially compared to the V8 competition (Jag F-Pace SVR which was my choice, and the MB63GLC) which deliver power immediately and very linearly. This bothers some people and others do not care at all. Some people like driving the car in the more aggressive modes all the time and constantly keeping the RPMs high and brake boosting at stoplights. My advice is to pay attention to your preference, not anyone else's in making your purchasing decision.
Appreciate 4
      07-04-2020, 01:14 AM   #91
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I just wish the X3M has launch control as good as the Macans. The PDK box really helps it hook up.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #92
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Saying a Macan buyers are only buying the "badge" and an X3 for the same money is better, is exactly the same argument Mustang drivers say about the 4 Series. There's no comparison in terms of subjective aspects of the two. A Macan is clearly a step above than an X3, that is why they demand a higher price while being not the quickest or perhaps best handling. The Macan interior alone is a step above.
IMO the interior is nothing special unless you add on the leather or alcantara options which push the price up on an already overpriced vehicle. It really is one of the more polarizing vehicles I looked at as it's the only SUV I have driven that actually feels like driving a car and it looks nice if you get the black out tail lights, LED headlights, wheels, and other exterior options but then it becomes very expensive and the back seats are almost useless for adults. My biggest issue with the GTS I drove is that it felt slower than my old Golf R and I consider that a deal breaker at the price point. If you are a person that has accumulated a lot of wealth and value doesn't matter, a highly optioned Turbo would be a great choice providing you don't intend to use it as a family vehicle as it's very light on utility and rear seat room.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #93
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Saying a Macan buyers are only buying the "badge" and an X3 for the same money is better, is exactly the same argument Mustang drivers say about the 4 Series. There's no comparison in terms of subjective aspects of the two. A Macan is clearly a step above than an X3, that is why they demand a higher price while being not the quickest or perhaps best handling. The Macan interior alone is a step above.
IMO the interior is nothing special unless you add on the leather or alcantara options which push the price up on an already overpriced vehicle. It really is one of the more polarizing vehicles I looked at as it's the only SUV I have driven that actually feels like driving a car and it looks nice if you get the black out tail lights, LED headlights, wheels, and other exterior options but then it becomes very expensive and the back seats are almost useless for adults. My biggest issue with the GTS I drove is that it felt slower than my old Golf R and I consider that a deal breaker at the price point. If you are a person that has accumulated a lot of wealth and value doesn't matter, a highly optioned Turbo would be a great choice providing you don't intend to use it as a family vehicle as it's very light on utility and rear seat room.
I have a search saved that provides alerts for any CPO Macan Turbo equipped with ACC. It's on my short list of vehicles I'm considering for my next.