BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #45
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
I must admit in all my years (I'm not a pilot, I'm a passenger) I've always assumed autopilot in airplanes, was only used for cruising at a set course once all the difficult stuff was done, that maybe too simplistic though?

I've got a X3 with the optional assistance system and it is great but I know it is an assistance system and not a autonomous driving mode, I only tend to use it in traffic or restricted speed areas on motorways but you've got to be alert to a vehicle in front emergency braking in slow traffic, there are always limitations I'm sure but it makes stop/go easier

I can't comment on the optional Tesla system but I am pretty sure it is also great if not better but they didn't have anything I could see comparable to size/price of X3 M40i when I ordered mine so wasn't a brand I considered but respect them for what they have done in a short space of time if only for driving other manufacturers to sit up and take notice and start seriously developing EV vehicles

What I do have a problem with is when sometimes they are called semi-autonomous modes, that to me is meaningless and misleading, it's either autonomous or not, can't be half and half surely:
I guess it’s taking the dictionary meaning of autonomous “having the freedom to act independently.” and modifying it to “having the freedom to act semi-independently.”
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #46
SR22pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: Genesis R-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I guess it’s taking the dictionary meaning of autonomous “having the freedom to act independently.” and modifying it to “having the freedom to act semi-independently.”
Good one. Seriously.

Both funny and accurate.
Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      11-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #47
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
I must admit in all my years (I'm not a pilot, I'm a passenger) I've always assumed autopilot in airplanes, was only used for cruising at a set course once all the difficult stuff was done, that maybe too simplistic though?

I've got a X3 with the optional assistance system and it is great but I know it is an assistance system and not a autonomous driving mode, I only tend to use it in traffic or restricted speed areas on motorways but you've got to be alert to a vehicle in front emergency braking in slow traffic, there are always limitations I'm sure but it makes stop/go easier

I can't comment on the optional Tesla system but I am pretty sure it is also great if not better but they didn't have anything I could see comparable to size/price of X3 M40i when I ordered mine so wasn't a brand I considered but respect them for what they have done in a short space of time if only for driving other manufacturers to sit up and take notice and start seriously developing EV vehicles

What I do have a problem with is when sometimes they are called semi-autonomous modes, that to me is meaningless and misleading, it's either autonomous or not, can't be half and half surely:
Ahh, it sound like marriage then, now that makes more sense, I do as I'm told at all times unless she's not watching then I can't be held accountable for my actions
Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      11-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #48
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2101 View Post
Wow you really are a very special person.
No not really. I was just always really into aviation and cars. Started my official pilot training with 15 and have been flying ever since (both fixed wing and rotorcraft (helicopters)). Worked as a journalist because duh, that's what my dad has done his entire life. Didn't make enough money and didn't 100% like it so I had to start my own business. Please don't call me special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR22pilot View Post
Since the term comes from aviation, isn't it interesting how non-pilots haven't a clue what a real autopilot does. Does the term really confuse you? I have found a lot of people who are upset at the term fully understand what Autopilot on a Tesla is and isn't. Somehow they seem to feel they understand better than others what people other than themselves think.

In the end there is a manual and it is fairly clear. Some of the things people complain about with Autopilot are issues with other systems. Just because it is named Driver Assist, I don't see people understanding the limitations if they haven't read the manual. I got into a discussion with an Infiniti owner who said his car had no problem automatically stopping for other stopped cars. I then went to the manual for his car and showed him where it warned that, when on adaptive cruise control, the system might not recognize a stopped car uncovered by a moving car changing lanes. My point is that naming it adaptive cruise control did nothing to make the driver realize there is a major limitation with the system.
Great point SR22 Pilot. Manuals are the key. And I'd say that 98% of Autopilot users know what the system can and cannot do.

Quote:
The term Autopilot is definitely very confusing! I have to admit that up to only about a year ago I thought Tesla’s were capable of completely driving by themselves without any driver intervention, and I am very into cars, I read lots of car magazines and watch a lot of car programs! Considering that, I can imagine a very large percentage of people will assume the same when they first hear about Tesla’s “Autopilot”, and many of them will continue to think that for a long time.
Wow that's insane. It's hard to believe that but I believe you. However, it doesn't really matter what a large percentage of the people think the Tesla Autopilot can do. What matters is that the people who drive these cars know what the system can and cannot do. But Tesla (at least in my experience) did a great job explaining everything during the delivery. (Even I had already driven the car and was aware of how these systems work and when they could fail. I remember active cruise control from the year 1999 in the Mercedes S Class. I guess I am a bit better educated on these systems than others.)

Quote:

Autopilots in commercial aviation are often used from 800 feet above ground in the US. Depends on the airline. I know Lufthansa or Swiss (and I am sure many others) let pilots decide. Some of them like to hand fly to not "lose it", so they often hand fly till 10,000 feet if the workload is not too heavy. And autopilot usually goes off again maybe around 200 - 1000 feet above the ground when landing. Again, depending on the airline and pilots.

You are somewhat correct. Semi-autonomous is a bit confusing. I would personally not know a better word though. I mean you can drive on Tesla AP for 100 miles without touching the steering wheel (with the removal of the nag), pedals etc. so calling that just an assist system would be terrible marketing to say the least.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 1
A.J.8515.50
      11-04-2018, 02:19 AM   #49
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Quote:
Wow you really are a very special person.
No not really. I was just always really into aviation and cars. Started my official pilot training with 15 and have been flying ever since (both fixed wing and rotorcraft (helicopters)). Worked as a journalist because duh, that's what my dad has done his entire life. Didn't make enough money and didn't 100% like it so I had to start my own business. Please don't call me special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR22pilot View Post
Since the term comes from aviation, isn't it interesting how non-pilots haven't a clue what a real autopilot does. Does the term really confuse you? I have found a lot of people who are upset at the term fully understand what Autopilot on a Tesla is and isn't. Somehow they seem to feel they understand better than others what people other than themselves think.

In the end there is a manual and it is fairly clear. Some of the things people complain about with Autopilot are issues with other systems. Just because it is named Driver Assist, I don't see people understanding the limitations if they haven't read the manual. I got into a discussion with an Infiniti owner who said his car had no problem automatically stopping for other stopped cars. I then went to the manual for his car and showed him where it warned that, when on adaptive cruise control, the system might not recognize a stopped car uncovered by a moving car changing lanes. My point is that naming it adaptive cruise control did nothing to make the driver realize there is a major limitation with the system.
Great point SR22 Pilot. Manuals are the key. And I'd say that 98% of Autopilot users know what the system can and cannot do.

Quote:
The term Autopilot is definitely very confusing! I have to admit that up to only about a year ago I thought Tesla’s were capable of completely driving by themselves without any driver intervention, and I am very into cars, I read lots of car magazines and watch a lot of car programs! Considering that, I can imagine a very large percentage of people will assume the same when they first hear about Tesla’s “Autopilot”, and many of them will continue to think that for a long time.
Wow that's insane. It's hard to believe that but I believe you. However, it doesn't really matter what a large percentage of the people think the Tesla Autopilot can do. What matters is that the people who drive these cars know what the system can and cannot do. But Tesla (at least in my experience) did a great job explaining everything during the delivery. (Even I had already driven the car and was aware of how these systems work and when they could fail. I remember active cruise control from the year 1999 in the Mercedes S Class. I guess I am a bit better educated on these systems than others.)

Quote:

Autopilots in commercial aviation are often used from 800 feet above ground in the US. Depends on the airline. I know Lufthansa or Swiss (and I am sure many others) let pilots decide. Some of them like to hand fly to not "lose it", so they often hand fly till 10,000 feet if the workload is not too heavy. And autopilot usually goes off again maybe around 200 - 1000 feet above the ground when landing. Again, depending on the airline and pilots.

You are somewhat correct. Semi-autonomous is a bit confusing. I would personally not know a better word though. I mean you can drive on Tesla AP for 100 miles without touching the steering wheel (with the removal of the nag), pedals etc. so calling that just an assist system would be terrible marketing to say the least.
I was being sarcastic. Perhaps I should have used conceited.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-04-2018, 02:25 AM   #50
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't make any sense. I brought up relevant experience to argue my case. Don't be salty.

-
Appreciate 1
A.J.8515.50
      11-04-2018, 02:26 AM   #51
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't make any sense. I brought up relevant experience to argue my case. Don't be salty.
It wouldn't from your narsacistic point of view.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #52
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Bringing up your creds but not coming up with any facts, don't win you arguments. They simply make you sound like Donald!
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #53
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Bringing up your creds but not coming up with any facts, don't win you arguments. They simply make you sound like Donald!
You brits are so cute together

-
Appreciate 1
A.J.8515.50
      11-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #54
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
You brits are so cute together
Prefer suave and sophisticated but cute will do.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #55
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Can we all JUST get along! Rodney King, May 1, 1992.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 2
teaston10990.50
A.J.8515.50
      11-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #56
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It’s all getting a bit heated in here guys, I think we should all shake and make up, after all the ‘mericans aren’t our enemy, it’s the Russians and Iranians that are our enemies!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #57
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
Can we all JUST get along! Rodney King, May 1, 1992.
Relax, we are just playing. No harm, no offence.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #58
andrewX3M40d
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It’s all getting a bit heated in here guys, I think we should all shake and make up, after all the ‘mericans aren’t our enemy, it’s the Russians and Iranians that are our enemies!
By the sound of the news today the Russians are everybody's friends.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #59
MarcelM1
Private
Rep
Drives: Passat B8

This semi-digital dash looks horrible 😫
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #60
BMW 1053
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 (N55) 335 ix manual

Garage List
2013 335 ix  [0.00]
BMW Extended Traffic Jam Assist

I have read that this system will be available in December only on the X5. Does anyone know how it differs from the currently available traffic jam assist?
Appreciate 0