BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Closed Thread

12-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #23
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This thing is dead on arrival. Likely will be EPA rated around 220mi in the US, if that.

It'll probably cost $50K+ too. lol. What a joke.

Nothing to see here....everyone go back to your regularly scheduled programs.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #24
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Man, that last CEO must have realllly goofed with EVs. I wonder how many years he set BMW back...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      12-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #25
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The problem is weight. Range needs more batteries which equals more weight which kills range. Unless you start out with low weight before you add batteries you're screwed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #26
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
The problem is weight. Range needs more batteries which equals more weight which kills range. Unless you start out with low weight before you add batteries you're screwed.
The Big Problem is BMW is not starting with a dedicated EV platform.

The X3 weighs a shit ton as it is.
      12-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #27
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

better later then never like I said on the other thread

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #28
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Too little, too late.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #29
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Any progress towards electric is good progress but sometimes it's hard to defend and understand BMW with their decisions. RWD SUV? What's the point?
The point? The point is to make the entry price lowish, then charge a fortune for AWD to the rescue! Havent you been watching tesla do exactly this? There are RWD tesla model 3s slip sliding all over New England as we speak. And the model 3 owners that want to keep their cars planted firmly on the ground? They shell out like 5k more for that option
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #30
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2audioman View Post
This thing is dead on arrival. Likely will be EPA rated around 220mi in the US, if that.

I cant disagree, but there is a market for an electric car made by a well-established trusted mfg like bmw, rather than Tesla which is a tech company. Also, it will be well north of 50k, especially for first years of this being available. Finally 220 miles still can cover the majority of commutes and thats most of what people need for a 2nd vehicle
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #31
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Ready to buy

I'm ready to buy this. If I were offered the option for RWD v. AWD for this vehicle, I would opt for the RWD. What I want is the ability to drive thru the one-foot intersection floods we regularly get in Houston and I don't need the extra cost of an AWD drivetrain. So, although I understand and agree with the need for the other 40, or so, States that find AWD to be useful, I'm glad that you won't be getting this initially. I suspect production limitations in the first year and I'm happy I won't be competing with all you snow belt denziens for an allocation. I'm taking delivery of a fully-loaded 2020 530e next week, which will serve as my trip car and I want to replace my second BMW with a high ground clearance full EV as my around town car. I have a paid pre-order for the Volvo XC40 Recharge and the Mustang Mach E, to ensure I have the option for first out of the box. I would have done the same for the M-B EQC but they finked out. Any of these will do the trick for me, but the iX3 is my first choice. The determinant will be delivery date and price. The Base Mach E is closest in spec to the iX3 (RWD, size and range) and priced at $40K; but no delivery until early 2021. The Volvo is smaller, but that's OK for an in-town car. No price or date, yet. I rejected the Audi e-Tron (after being a reservation holder) because it's too large--the upcoming Q4 e-Tron would be perfect. I rejected the i-Pace because of Jag unreliability, though this is the one that really excites me. I'll pay a premium over the Mach E for a BMW or Volvo, but not a big one. Waiting, waiting...
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      12-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #32
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I should be the perfect target customer for the iX3. I'm a former ActiveHybrid 3 owner, and currently own the X3 M40i. I also buy a new car every 2-3 years.

As more details about the iX3 come out, the more I realize there's probably no more BMWs in my future. Too short of range, too conservative of styling, power that is not comparable to other vehicles in its segment, the list goes on.

This morning, I purchased a Tesla Model 3 Performance w/Full Self Driving. I take delivery next week. This car feels like a sea change-type of vehicle, one that I don't think the iX3 can compare to.

I'm keeping the X3 M40i, as my wife will become its primary driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #33
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I should be the perfect target customer for the iX3. I'm a former ActiveHybrid 3 owner, and currently own the X3 M40i. I also buy a new car every 2-3 years.

As more details about the iX3 come out, the more I realize there's probably no more BMWs in my future. Too short of range, too conservative of styling, power that is not comparable to other vehicles in its segment, the list goes on.

This morning, I purchased a Tesla Model 3 Performance w/Full Self Driving. I take delivery next week. This car feels like a sea change-type of vehicle, one that I don't think the iX3 can compare to.

Congratulations on the Model 3P.

Hopefully you leased it.
      12-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #34
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2audioman View Post

I'd pay $60k if it was a second faster to 60 and had AWD, you know, competitive.

The EPA rating system for range is a joke, inconsistent, it's not to be used for comparing vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #35
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

Tesla has done a lot of things right, but they've still got a way to go in other areas, like manufacturing quality.

Lots of rust issues, paint coming off in sheets around wheel wells, there is a documented problem with their electronics where the logging breaks the computer after a time - lots of customers asking for an MCUv2 upgrade. These are just the current issues, things from the past months.

This isn't to try to say you made a bad choice, they're cool cars and very modern. They're quite far ahead on tech and judging from my friend's Model X they're a good value - lots of features like auto open/close doors that you wouldn't get for the price in other cars.

My point is just that they all have strengths and weaknesses. Even if BMW (and other established manufacturers) is behind and lets us down with the iX3, they still have other strengths and may resolve the weaknesses in the long run. It's too soon to count anyone out by a single model.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Congratulations on the Model 3P.

Hopefully you leased it.
Nah. Did the lease thing for many years. I like the flexibility of traditional financing. After 20-30 months I usually get tired of a car, an appreciate the flexibility of getting rid of it when the time is right for me. Not interested in playing the lease swap game. But that's a topic for another thread In the case of my X3 M40i, it's almost paid for (2 years in) and I'm going to pass it along to my wife. She'll be happy to keep it for 5+ years. So I come out ahead with traditional financing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Tesla has done a lot of things right, but they've still got a way to go in other areas, like manufacturing quality.

Lots of rust issues, paint coming off in sheets around wheel wells, there is a documented problem with their electronics where the logging breaks the computer after a time - lots of customers asking for an MCUv2 upgrade. These are just the current issues, things from the past months.

This isn't to try to say you made a bad choice, they're cool cars and very modern. They're quite far ahead on tech and judging from my friend's Model X they're a good value - lots of features like auto open/close doors that you wouldn't get for the price in other cars.

My point is just that they all have strengths and weaknesses. Even if BMW (and other established manufacturers) is behind and lets us down with the iX3, they still have other strengths and may resolve the weaknesses in the long run. It's too soon to count anyone out by a single model.
Yes, the quality variability still seems higher than traditional brands. I'm crossing my fingers I get lucky.

I'm not necessarily counting them (BMW) out due to a single model (iX3), it's just I can tell they don't really have a strategy that aligns with what I'm after. The interior and exterior styling is just way to conservative for me, and they seem so far behind when it comes to technology. I appreciate what BMW has done with ID6/ID7, but when you get used to what's offered in a Tesla, you feel like BMW is stuck 10 years in the past. I don't think the iX3 or even in the i4 will change that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #37
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Different markets, different views, different needs.

Here SUV/SAV have become very popular the last years but its public image is currently deteriorating due to the high weight and energy consumption.

Statistics also show that the expensive, large models of the German premium brands are mainly used in urban areas, which makes no sense even for us in an Alpine country because this areas are not in the mountains.

This increasingly negative image of the "Dinosaur" SUV class will not change due to electrification. Lightweight, compact, yet comfortable and spacious concepts are the future.
iNext? Not sure about its weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #38
soheil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 REX

Everyone has different needs of course and I'm sure BMW has taken these into consideration. I'm in Southern California and like many have said RWD will sell a ton in here. You've underestimated the power of BMW brand! For me RWD will do just fine. What I'm really pissed off about is what an electric car should have these days and this is what I am looking for: range and autonomous driving capabilities, you know exactly what Tesla has and others don't. We currently have an i3 as a second car, we LOVE it, it is an amazing car but I am tried of feeling like second class citizens with its 120miles of range! I can't understand hey it took BMW this many years to finally come up with what? 220 miles? Come on! And so far I have not seen any solid articles about autonomous capabilities of this iX3 but knowing BMW I really don't have high hopes...

I know that both of these features most likely will be on the iNext but the more I read about it, the more it sounds like an overpriced flagship bimmer that I would not be able to afford!

But again, different people have different needs and I'm sure BMW has done its research. Everyone and their aunt will be driving these in my neighborhood I'm sure...

I just wish that BMW leadership wasn't this stupid when it comes to their EV lineup
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #39
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I've never owned a Ford Motor Company product but feel the need to be open-minded based on product, not just branding. Here is some interesting data, although iX3 is not included. Thoughts?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/18/...pTx8QeQbEGNrmy
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #40
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I've never owned a Ford Motor Company product but feel the need to be open-minded based on product, not just branding. Here is some interesting data, although iX3 is not included. Thoughts?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/18/...pTx8QeQbEGNrmy
They key to Ford's success in the electric vehicle space will be the software. Right now, it's pretty much agreed-upon that Tesla holds the lead here.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #41
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
They key to Ford's success in the electric vehicle space will be the software. Right now, it's pretty much agreed-upon that Tesla holds the lead here.
Yes, for software and powertrain, but the rest of the car is so mediocre, it's not on my list. I was considering the Mach E if BMW gets crazy with iX3 pricing or it's delayed past when my current lease is up.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      12-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #42
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I now BMW is a large car producer, but they should focus on catching up with the IT world and keeping the good tradition of handling and engines of their cars, rather than producing loads of models for every taste (15 I think, just the basic without the M (including X3M/X4M or i variants). That's really a lot. No wonder they can't afford making better software and automated driving capabilities.

Back to topic - the iX3 will be probably better selling in Europe (Scandinavian countries in particular) than in the US. I think the advertised range is completely ok for what this car will be mostly used - city. But I doubt the advertised range could be achieved in real life, even if it was measured with WLTP.
      12-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #43
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Don't we have a forum member from Norway, that have confirmed it will be AWD, at least for the Scandinavian market?
i wouldn't be surprised if it's simple calculations done here by BMW, simplifying the market introduction with RWD only for North American market, because they count with the fact that most vehicles will end up in California, where AWD won't be used much, if at all, but instead use more juice ...

But with RWD there is still no big issue with getting somewhere on our winter roads here, as long as you have the right rubber. It's a lot more important, than AWD. Especially with all nice electronics to help out. And some appropriate driver experience of course.
But having said that, I would choose AWD anyway, of the same reasons I am choosing the most secure studded tire I know of, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta, because I want the best security.

And the good thing with BMW AWD is that it is rear biased, so that we can have some fun on the icy roads.. with enough over steering. :-)