BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #45
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
The seats are likely a 3rd party product shipped to BMW...

Have you ever been involved in a manufacturing environment? Quality control is meticulously monitored with statistical analysis... This isn't some amateur job here.... Quality in Spartenburg is going to be BMW quality. The whole "German Built" "German Made" thing is baseless advertising / cult like dogma.
The seats are absolutely made by a subcontractor, and delivered JIT for each build.

There is a saying "You can't inspect quality in." and that holds true for any manufactured product, or even a service product.

That said, there are elements that are not or cannot be inspected efficiently in the factory, and they must rely on field data. Initial reports, complaints, repairs from dealerships are important here. Especially in the first model year of a new product.

All that said - I feel there IS a difference in the location, because of the culture of the work force. American factory workers have lost the sense of personal pride that other cultures still hold. This is obviously true for every worker in either case, but the majority. I think some companies are doing a good job of turning that culture around, but it is still there.

My X3 is not built as well as my previous 3's were. They are still light years better than the competition, but there is a subtle difference.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #46
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Not quite. It is up to Quality to reject non-conformant product. If BMW decided to purchase a seat that doesn't quite match your expectations it isn't QC's job to intersect... that's your job when shopping at the dealership.

Overall quality from product line to product line could signal a change in company policy, increased / decreased market competitiveness, program management, and several other factors... Location isn't likely to be one of them.
Not talking about location - I am talking about the X3 assembly line. If it is not acceptable to have those quality in the X5, 1 series or 3 series, why do X3 accept those? I can't believe that BMW will accept an inferior quality for the X3 plant as a policy and not on the others. Besides, paint quality - I know I am neat picking as I am talking paint inside door/boot, but it is not as good as the other cars.

What are you trying to tell me is that BMW had lower their standards for the X3.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #47
Podmasli
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Gran Turismo

Garage List
2008 X3 3.0d  [0.00]
Where can I watch on Megafactories with X3? THX
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #48
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ove View Post
Does anyone have a download link for the Z4 episode? Hopefully someone will put this episode up also when it's aired
You can see the previous 2007 doc on HULU.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #49
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Didn't air last night in Toronto. "Known Universe" was playing in its' place for some reason. Must be a Canadian Rights thing....as usual.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #50
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Just watched the show (recorded on dvr) and was hugely impressed. So many highlights, but one of my favourites was the installation of the side airbags over the doors. The floating seat used during the install is so cool!

Just about the most enjoyable TV I've watched in a long time.

Did not realise that BMW tests each X3 at up to 100mph on rollers at the end of the assembly line!

Already loved the X3, but now have a whole new level of awe for it after seeing the build process.

Will repeat on Nov.8 @6pm Central according to DishTV.

If you already own an X3, watch and you will feel even happier with your purchase. If you are considering the X3 then watch, and you will probably buy one.

Edit: Just found a link which has some segments from the broadcast.
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...w-x3-body.html

Last edited by Irish-Texan; 11-02-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #51
Duttch
Dutch guy in the usa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i convertible

Garage List
2010 128  [0.00]
If you do not have a dvr
there will be a replay upcoming Tuesday 6.00 - 7.00 pm.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #52
Cape Dave
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

That show was really excellent. I too thought is was the most enjoyable show I have seen in a while. Made me want to go right down to the dealer. I have only driven a 2011 X3 for a short test drive. Seemed of excellent quality to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #53
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Awesome show! Makes me feel proud to be an owner.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #54
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Does anyone know when this program might be rebroadcast, or if it is available online? I was a victim of the Halloween Weekend Nor'easter, and was unable to watch the program. (No power, phone or cable for 3.5 days, and hotels rarely include National Geographic in their channel lineup.)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #55
Cape Dave
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

Here is a clip anyways http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm3...ody_shortfilms
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #56
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Things I learned from watching:

First I learned how to make Jack Daniels and bottle/can coke by watching the 2 hours prior of Ultimate Factories

About the X3 and Spartanburg factory....

- 1 paint line for X3, X5, X6 runs non-stop
- My X3 may do things off road I may not dare try
- 70% of whats built in Spartanburg is exported (I think that was all 3 models not just X3).
- Atleast 1 mile on the odometer came from that 100mph test
- lots of cool stuff about JIT and that there are BMW subcontractors nearby that are part of the production
- I think they managed to show an X3 in every color available
- The chestnut seats are still too red for me (with DSB)

few other observations about the assembly of the body and the painting - amazing processes

overall, very cool show to watch, many of us (atleast in the US) have seen a few shots if the inside of the assembly hall and painting hall from our 3 minute build videos - if not perhaps you've seen one that has been posted.

This show showed us 10x more of the factory, as well as subcontractors. Even the subcontractor making the seats is interesting stuff.

makes me glad I bought the X3 even more, as if driving it doesn't already make me happy I bought it between the build video and the show, I feel like I am experiencing new technology with the X3 purchase than anything w/ any prior car purchase. My X3 is the first car I ever ordered (vs finding it in dealer inventory) - and i expect that to be the norm for me.

i may even watch ultimate factories again - just not the jack daniels segment - once was enough there
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #57
Duttch
Dutch guy in the usa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i convertible

Garage List
2010 128  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Does anyone know when this program might be rebroadcast, or if it is available online? I was a victim of the Halloween Weekend Nor'easter, and was unable to watch the program. (No power, phone or cable for 3.5 days, and hotels rarely include National Geographic in their channel lineup.)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #58
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttch View Post
Thanks. My cable grid is still filling in, and as yet I only have To Be Announced in that slot.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #59
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

One thing I didn't understand was the segment about how they use lasers to measure where the door gets bolted onto the frame. This is because of minor tolerance variations that the robots can adjust for.

So, they measure the door, bolt it on, then a while later the door comes off! Didn't they just undo all that critical laser measurement?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #60
highmodulus
Two more till my intervention
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 White/Black 6mt

Yeah, as a new X3 35i owner, it really was impressive to see how dedicated the SC workers were to putting out a great product. I went from "I can't believe I spend this much" to "I can't believe they can sell it for so cheap"

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #61
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
One thing I didn't understand was the segment about how they use lasers to measure where the door gets bolted onto the frame. This is because of minor tolerance variations that the robots can adjust for.

So, they measure the door, bolt it on, then a while later the door comes off! Didn't they just undo all that critical laser measurement?
When they take the doors off during final assembly they leave the hinges on. They do this so they don't have to redo all the work that has been done already and its more efficient to do final assembly of everything with the doors not in place.

Also, the doors have to be painted at the same time as the body to account for slight variances in paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #62
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:

I wondered the same thing... Unless the hinge to frame connection uses centering bolts (like your wheel nuts).

Did you notice the body panels just in front of the doors were hand fitted without and fancy consideration for the minute differences in the frame...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #63
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wondered the same thing... Unless the hinge to frame connection uses centering bolts (like your wheel nuts).
Maybe the original guide-hole is made during the laser fitting process?

Quote:
Did you notice the body panels just in front of the doors were hand fitted without and fancy consideration for the minute differences in the frame...
Yes, I noticed that as well. I suppose the body panels don't need quite the accuracy of fit as the doors, because the doors need to open/close to tight tolerances vs. the permanent fixture of panels.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #64
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
When they take the doors off during final assembly they leave the hinges on. They do this so they don't have to redo all the work that has been done already and its more efficient to do final assembly of everything with the doors not in place.

Also, the doors have to be painted at the same time as the body to account for slight variances in paint.
Ah! Didn't see this before I wrote my previous response. Makes total sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #65
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Im still waiting to see this program ( anyone got download links ?)
but can tell you this from other BMW's

The hinges that hold the doors to the body are basically 2 sections held together by a centre bolt.

Where the 2 sections fit to the body and door is adjustable. This is done by robot on the X3.
To take off the door after painting for assembly they do not undo this part, rather they take out the non-adjustable center bolt holding the 2 sections together.

So when the refit the doors they are still perfectly aligned

Interestingly on the E90 the doors are fitted 1mm to high in the bodyshop.
This is because after they add all the weight of the windows and panels in assembly the door weight makes it drop 1mm, bringing it into perfect alignment
      11-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #66
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Maybe the original guide-hole is made during the laser fitting process?

Yes, I noticed that as well. I suppose the body panels don't need quite the accuracy of fit as the doors, because the doors need to open/close to tight tolerances vs. the permanent fixture of panels.
When they bolt down the bod panels they have metal guages to check that the seems are in perfect alignment and the gaps are correct.

Lasers will also check all body panels before it leaves the bodyshop