BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Front Brake Pad Change / Bleed

In preparation for my relocation from the PNW to SoCal, I changed my wife's X3 front brake pads and bled the system last night. For those of you considering this task, DO IT YOURSELF.
I've performed quite a few pad changes and simply cannot believe how easy the F25 platform is. I literally did the following:

- put my x3 on my QuickJack
- removed all my wheels
- unclipped outside brake pad retaining clip
- removed two caliper to bracket bolts
- replaced pads
- reverse ordered to install everything back in

Afterwards, I bleed the entire system using my Motive setup and proceeded to bed in the new pads. It was truly a painless process.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

What about the wear sensor. Did you reuse the old one or did it come with new.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
chknlytle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M Sport

Is the motiv setup NECESSARY? I've bled brakes in the past using the 2-man method or gravity bleeding. I know ista calls for the use of a pressure bleeder, but just wanted to know if you really need to bleed it this way. Like, because of the abs pump or some other sensitive fancy module that BMW placed in there. I'll be replacing my pads and rotors in the near future...

Also, which Quickjack model did you buy? Thinking of getting a father's day gift for myself
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
What about the wear sensor. Did you reuse the old one or did it come with new.
I purchased a new sensor, then quickly realized that the old one could easily be removed, cleaned, and used again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlytle View Post
Is the motiv setup NECESSARY? I've bled brakes in the past using the 2-man method or gravity bleeding. I know ista calls for the use of a pressure bleeder, but just wanted to know if you really need to bleed it this way. Like, because of the abs pump or some other sensitive fancy module that BMW placed in there. I'll be replacing my pads and rotors in the near future...

Also, which Quickjack model did you buy? Thinking of getting a father's day gift for myself
I do not know enough about the sensitive parts of BMW's braking system, but have always used the Motiv on my German cars with great success. Take my opinion FWTW, but I think the 2-man pump, open method should work out find.

As for the QuickJack, I own the 5000XLS and love it. I do side work for extra money and can tell you, this lift has paid for itself over and over. Purchase it, it will be the best $1500 investment you spend!
Appreciate 0