BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

X3 M40i - How do I turn the power "Off" without locking the doors?

I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but I can't find the answer in the manual. On my previous generation X3, two presses of the Start/Stop button turned the power off. In this one, that doesn't happen and the power stays on for a while before it shuts off automatically. I have to lock the doors to shut the power off.

How do I shut the power off without locking the doors?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but I can't find the answer in the manual. On my previous generation X3, two presses of the Start/Stop button turned the power off. In this one, that doesn't happen and the power stays on for a while before it shuts off automatically. I have to lock the doors to shut the power off.

How do I shut the power off without locking the doors?
BMW uses funky words, so it's hard to find in the manual:

Appreciate 8
MechX3M40i1006.00
SROC31701.00
JustChris17423.00
Lotus99627.00
      12-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
BMW uses funky words, so it's hard to find in the manual:

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
there is setting in the idrive, that you can turn off car when you open drivers door.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      12-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
there is setting in the idrive, that you can turn off car when you open drivers door.
No one should be suggesting this “feature” to anyone who owns this car. It doesn’t work consistently, if at all, most of the time.
Appreciate 2
DaBurn15.00
weez271.50
      12-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
No one should be suggesting this “feature” to anyone who owns this car. It doesn’t work consistently, if at all, most of the time.
So if it doesnt work for you, it means what???
take a chill pill tough guy
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm aware of that but prefer to turn off the power manually.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
The setting "turn off after opening door" does work. However, if you open the door "too quickly" after pushing the start/stop button, the car often will not turn off. If this happens, you can simply close the door and reopen it, and it will turn off. This, or "consciously pausing" after pushing the start/stop button before opening the door generally enables the driver to exit the vehicle without needing to lock the doors (e.g. when it's parked in one's garage). Of course, it's a crap shot if you have passengers who open their door before you've completed BMW's byzantine shut down ritual. I preferred to the "two push" methodology in my now gone 2015 535i over this newer ritual.
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
take a chill pill tough guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayareaX3m40i View Post
The setting "turn off after opening door" does work. However, if you open the door "too quickly" after pushing the start/stop button, the car often will not turn off. If this happens, you can simply close the door and reopen it, and it will turn off. This, or "consciously pausing" after pushing the start/stop button before opening the door generally enables the driver to exit the vehicle without needing to lock the doors (e.g. when it's parked in one's garage). Of course, it's a crap shot if you have passengers who open their door before you've completed BMW's byzantine shut down ritual. I preferred to the "two push" methodology in my now gone 2015 535i over this newer ritual.
Even with pausing before opening the door, it does not work 100% of the time for me. A bunch of other people have reported this problem on the forum too, some even complaining to BMW NA about it. So it's not just me. Again, don't suggest people solve their problems with known poor features.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Even with pausing before opening the door, it does not work 100% of the time for me. A bunch of other people have reported this problem on the forum too, some even complaining to BMW NA about it. So it's not just me. Again, don't suggest people solve their problems with known poor features.
sounds like a user issue more then hardware

go sit in your car and practice the method until you get it right!
Appreciate 1
asyvan164.50
      12-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sounds like a user issue more then hardware

go sit in your car and practice the method until you get it right!
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Even following the procedure outlined above to the letter, it still doesn't work 100% of the time. Every X3 has its own unique set of gremlins, sometimes by random luck, sometimes by build week, but you cannot hand wave away the multiple reports of people with this problem just because you personally do not have the issue. It's kind of funny because you're being a hypocrite by displaying the same behavior you tried to call me out on, e.g.:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

If you press and hold the power button for the radio, it will shut everything off just like the second press of the start/stop button used to do.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post
If you press and hold the power button for the radio, it will shut everything off just like the second press of the start/stop button used to do.
Now this feature does work 100% of the time for me. I feel like I shouldn't have to do it (the car should just BE OFF when you press the start/stop button to turn off the engine), but I'm glad that at least there is a method that 100% of the time turns off the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Even following the procedure outlined above to the letter, it still doesn't work 100% of the time. Every X3 has its own unique set of gremlins, sometimes by random luck, sometimes by build week, but you cannot hand wave away the multiple reports of people with this problem just because you personally do not have the issue. It's kind of funny because you're being a hypocrite by displaying the same behavior you tried to call me out on, e.g.:
oh you didnt like my keyboard tone...

if a feature doesnt work right then you can report it, try to get it fix.
its probably bug in the software, simple update will fix it.

so far its been 3 months problem free.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
oh you didnt like my keyboard tone...

if a feature doesnt work right then you can report it, try to get it fix.
its probably bug in the software, simple update will fix it.

so far its been 3 months problem free.
Glad you're problem free for 3 months. There are people here who have had the issue for over a year despite getting all available software updates from their dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #16
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Turning off when opening the doors works OK for me. If it detects a passenger, it will wait until the passenger gets out, though. Some engineer at BMW really, really wants the radio to be on for any listener until the last possible moment! Perhaps people having issues with this feature have something heavy sitting on a seat? I admit it's kind of slick when I need to get gas as it stays on for my passengers while I hop out to fill up.

Mine did something bizzare today though. It turned the radio off ok, but then I went to the passenger side door to grab a bag I left in the front footwell. When I opened the door the radio came back on again! At this point my only recourse is to lock the door

I don't understand why they got rid of the second press of the start/stop button to shut down the radio. It was intuitive. Doing nothing is certainly not a step forward in usability.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #17
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobx View Post
... Some engineer at BMW really, really wants the radio to be on for any listener until the last possible moment!....I admit it's kind of slick when I need to get gas as it stays on for my passengers while I hop out to fill up.
I can do you one better. My last F80 M3 was coded to leave the radio on (and the window buttons active) for something like 5-10 minutes after engine shutoff, regardless of door opening or closing.

Really freaked out the wife....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Thanks for the hold down the radio button tip, I'm going to use that. This car is like an iPhone, tons of features I'll never learn or use. My wife always locks her car in the garage, and I don't lock mine, but I do like to know it is shut off.

Even though I leave the car unlocked in the garage, the next morning I often find it locked anyway from getting the fob in or out of my pocket. What gets me is all the motors/relays/etc. that start whirring about when the car is unlocked and I open a car door just to get something and the key is still upstairs in the bedroom.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #19
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I find sometimes If I don't open the door for a bit after I have shut down the engine (and maybe its when I am fooling around on the screen, changing or looking up settings) then when I do open the door its all still ON. I then use the fob to lock and make sure its all OFF.
Is this a feature - keep the radio/Idrive system on if the screen was touched?
And will it go of after some time on its own?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #20
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
I find sometimes If I don't open the door for a bit after I have shut down the engine (and maybe its when I am fooling around on the screen, changing or looking up settings) then when I do open the door its all still ON. I then use the fob to lock and make sure its all OFF.
Is this a feature - keep the radio/Idrive system on if the screen was touched?
And will it go of after some time on its own?
My experience is, the car will shut off eventually if I keep sitting in the car after shutting off the engine (without opening the door). I think it is for preserving the battery. One time, the screen turned off on me even though I was in the middle of playing with the settings, so I am guessing the shut off timer starts when the engine shuts off.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #21
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Glad you're problem free for 3 months. There are people here who have had the issue for over a year despite getting all available software updates from their dealer.
This just failed to work for me today as well. It’s always been set to turn off upon door open, and has always worked (or I have not noticed it NOT working until this thread.) I had listened to the radio for a few seconds before opening, too, so rushing to open was not a factor.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #22
mde83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

This isn't a statement of fact..LOL, this is a statement about the way I think it is supposed to work, and my experience over the last 2 days of owning my m40i...

If you do NOT have the option in iDrive checked that says "shut vehicle off upon opening door" or something to that effect, then after you press the start/stop button, and wait a couple seconds to exit, the vehicle should shut off when there is no butts in the driver or passenger seat. However, if you open the door and get out at the same time or too quickly after pressing the start/stop button it sometime does not shut the car off until you lock the door.

However, if you have the option in iDrive checked to shut the car off when the door opens, as long as you hit to start/stop button before opening the door, the car should shut off immediately when the door opens, regardless of if there is a butt in the driver or passenger seat or regardless of if you lock the door.
Appreciate 0