BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
X3 M40i has nothing close to compare to.

End of March 19, I had a medium sized accident. No air bags. Estimate went from $10k to $25k to $35k and shop admitted likely hit $40k. Insurance wrote out $68k in checks in May. It was summer.. I was going to sell my '08 supercharged M Roadster; but kept if for a summer to wait for the MY2020 change. That gave me a lot of time to evaluate other options. Incentivized me, actually; as the roadster, while fun, is not very family friendly.

I test drove many cars; read about even more. I broke it down to 4 considerations on the vehicle.
  • Mechanical Adroitness & fun to drive
  • Ability to Serve a Function - for me this meant something haul and tow with
  • Interior w/ Electronics - Note, I'm a big techie
  • Price - Less is better. I was replacing $70k car.. I didn't want to go much higher; I could go to $90k.. but would need really good reason.

For the X3 M40i:
Mechanical Droitness:

The B58 engine is superb - the inline-6 may be the finest engine produced. Turbo is seemless, powerful and incredibly smooth. This fine 6 is mated to the ZF8 transmission who's firmware is set specific for BMW. I believe the ZF8 to be the best transmission yet developed. Very low latency on shifts; mated with the ability to skip gears - like 8th to 2nd and various other combos. This combo offers the ability to get from 0 to 60 in 4.6s (factory - with tune < 4.0s) and get 29MPG on a 2 hr freeway drive. That's crazy. AND.. the X3 is 4,200 lbs. It doesn't make sense?! Those numbers don't fit into any historical perspective.

The M40i with adaptive suspension is fun to drive. There are lots of nice-to-drive SUVs out there. The M40i is actually kick-ass fun to drive - much more fun than it has a right to be. I would hope the Macan and Stevio Q would be as fun; but the Porsche prices at $115k and Quadrifoglio $95k for similar speed and options and kept me from test driving (plus not a fan of electronics in either).

I actually travelled to DC area to test drive and buy a used Porsche Cayenne Turbo. That was a sad disappointment.

Ability to Serve a Function:
X3 is not huge. If your a large man, you may feel confined. I've seen numerous complaints that the seat's side bolsters are too tight. I love the tight bolsters. Tight bolsters are a fast corners best friend. ;-)

Rear seats fold easy and interior space is quiet large. I hauled a 58" and a 55" Black Friday TV deals at the same time. I could have easily had 3 more similar sized TVs.

Trailer hitch is a must. Don't haul stuff every week; but being able to pull my small trailer and rental equipment is very nice. I pulled a rented 35' cherry picker with a rented F150 and was a total fail. Wet ground and 2WD F150 was sad in the worst way. Neighbor's AWD Honda Ridgline to the rescue. X3 would have done even better.

Interior w/ Electronics:
I love the BMW interior. iDrive 7 is a nice improvement over iD6. That said, even iD6 was far above competition. The LED lighting is cool. Pano roof is one of the largest (as % of total roof) available on any auto. Good sight lines with easy rear view.

I am not a sensatec fan; I'd prefer actual leather option for dash. That's a minor quibble. I really like interior design and leather option. Very disappointed that the extended leather option not available for MY2020 in the USA.. but that's really my only gripe. The new carbon fibre trim is stunning. I love the grey poplar trim I had on previous model too.

BMW's take on electronics is better than Tesla (who I'd rate #2). Large full digital instrument cluster w/ NAV integration coupled with very large, color HUD and large center console is awesome. But that's only part of it. Tesla has large screens.. but they try to make you use them (giving you only a couple actual physical buttons). Seems like everything is just 3 to 4 presses or swipes away. BMW, on the other hand, has buttons for many functions. For functions without dedicated button, they have dedicated button to the menu.. like for HVAC menu or Audio menu. In addition to the buttons; they have good voice control. Also; steering wheel controls. Many like the iDrive controller, who'd large dial also features a touchpad built into it. Then, there's the fact the large control center screen is touch friendly too. If all that wasn't enough; they also have gesture control for some functions. Gesture control is both ridiculous and cool. Now.. likely you won't like all of these options; but you're sure to like one or more, and it's THAT! that choice of options that I especially love.

Wireless CarPlay is awesome. iDrive 7 is very fast and allow many, many customizations. These customizations run the gambit from changing interior LED color and intensity, to individually configured Eco and Sport modes. The 7 radio buttons are soft buttons.. that is, they don't have to be radio buttons at all. 1-4 are HD Radio stations in my ride; 5 is BT Audio for my daughter; 6 is Apple Car Play, 7 is directions for work (yes, I know how to get there, but live traffic conditions is very nice). Don't like your dash set-up? Change it. HUD options? Change them. Control screen menus themselves are highly configurable as different pages. If that wasn't enough. You can get a cheap cable and use BimmerCode to configure even more.

Nothing else comes close to the interior options w/ electronics. BMW is leading in this.

Note on Lane Keep and Auto Driving. It mostly sucks. The auto cruise control w/ stop and go is very good. Lane Keep is not great. You cannot trust it. It will switch off, without warning. Sometimes this will happen in a corner. Don't trust it. That said. It does help keep you in your lane should a distraction find you. Auto braking is also there and seems to work.

I have driven 5 Tesla's - S, P100d, X, X, Model 3. The auto nav is better.. but still sucks. I could go on at length.. but, in short. It sucks. They are ahead of most people; but still suck. I actually prefer BMW as it uses capacitance touch on steering wheel and it's limitations are more obvious.

Note on 2018/19 vs 2020 B58. 2020 does pull a little better; not that big a deal. While the 2020 still pops and gurgles; it's not as obnoxious as the 2018/19 - I miss that.

Price:
A loaded X3 M40i here costs about $69.5k. I received total discounts of $9.5k. So.. $60k. That's an assload of money for a car. The Porsche and Alfa are much more. Other options are close; but fail to match the features listed above. Audi betrayed me with reliability in the past. American options are REALLY lacking. I am not keen on the MB styling. It's close. BMW I6 with the ZF8 is really awesome. MB is coming out with new GLC AMG 43. Wasn't ready. Plus.. lots of review complaints about electronics. MB is bringing back an I6 engine. Very exciting. Didn't make it into the 2020 GCL AMG 43. If it had; I would have been tempted. Maybe next time. ;-)

Last edited by sinbad4; 12-12-2019 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 6
chicagofan0019146.00
focker155.00
BMWZ41909.50
DAC17170.50
Rbrown2765.50
      12-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Great write up! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
jaychoy912
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

what was the disappointment with the cayenne turbo?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the write up which I enjoyed and agree with.

Before deciding on the X3 M40i I tried very hard to prefer a Macan S. Where the Macan was better there was only a very small advantage - this was mostly with the PASM suspension and handling feel of the car. Where it really sucked was pulling away from a standstill - it was so slow - possibly a combination of turbo lag and the DCT box. BTW I don't have an issue with the X3 pulling away from a standstill, I know some do but the Macan was really terrible at this. The Macan interior is very dated and low on tech. I have just about every option X3 option except for the tow hook and still the X3 is considerably less expensive. The M40i engine and gearbox is great, the engine is so much better than the Audi one in the Macan S.

The X3 assisted driving gizmos...I'm not that clear on how BMW position them but lane keep/assist I find works very well if I'm only expecting it to reduce my work/steering input, especially with ACC. It makes driving distances more relaxing. It isn't autonomous driving by any stretch of the imagination and I don't think BMW pretend it is though some hope it'll do this.

The X3 M40i is a tremendously well balanced car and is truly excellent in several areas.
sinbad4782.50
chicagofan0019146.00
      12-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

great write up. the M40i is a great vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
ClaretFozzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
great write up. the M40i is a great vehicle.
As is the M40d

I really wasn't sold on iDrive 7 and the new Live Cockpit when I first saw it in pictures, but having seen it in the flesh and using it day to day I absolutely love it.

iDrive is still the best infotainment system out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
expressedge
Rep
Drives: Acura TL

Nice write up! How did the seats compare to other options that you looked at?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychoy912 View Post
what was the disappointment with the cayenne turbo?
I have always read and lusted after Porsches. A local guy was selling a 2011 V6 for $18k I offered $16 and he passed. I though I might drive it around for 3-4 months. Maybe keep it. Maybe wife would like it. Maybe I sell in the fall for close to what I paid for it. Deal didn't work out; but I soon found good deals on "S" models.. well then on Turbo S modes. I went out to DC and drove 2 of them - 2013 and 2014 Turbo S models. The first was junk. Modified obnoxious exhaust. At least 2 serious accidents poorly repaired. Junk. 2nd was much better.. but I actually didn't care for the car. It was loud and heavy. It drove heavy. It would scoot fast if you hit the throttle.. but nothing like the fun to drive X3 M40i. Electronics were weak. They tried to do some auto-stop stuff; but it sucked. 2x it hit the brakes kind of hard when I switched lanes a bit close to the car in front of me.

Totally deflated my Porsche dream. ..but; made me really appreciate BMW. I'd much, much rather have an X5 than the Cayenne.
      12-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expressedge View Post
Nice write up! How did the seats compare to other options that you looked at?

I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not super picky about seats or chairs in general. I love the strong bolsters in the current X3 sport seats. I was really hoping the M-Sport seat option would be available in the USA for MY2020 - some countries got them; not us (cry).

So.. I love current seats. Not the most plush, but I find them very comfortable. Did a 8 hr drive a couple weeks ago. Neither wife nor I had any complaints.

My buddy has 2019 X5 M40i with the luxo seats. They are certainly comfortable... but not real sporty. Can't imaging powering fast corners in them. For the X3, I like the smaller, tighter, sporty seats.
      12-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I think I know the answer to this but what's wrong with the GLC 43? Did you test drive one?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #11
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I think I know the answer to this but what's wrong with the GLC 43? Did you test drive one?
I know you didn't ask me. But my experience was:
  • Equivalently spec'ed, the GLC 43 is $7K-$10K more and doesn't include service
  • GLC is slower
  • GLC gets worse mileage
  • GLC can't fit as much in the back

I liked the interior of the Mercedes better though. I kinda like the looks better too, but I'll get over that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #12
John26830
Private
Rep
Drives: 1968 Camaro SS

Doesn't the dimming dash lights bother anyone, it's driving me crazy 🤪 I have to use a flashlight to shine on the gauge cluster to have the Id7 brighten up when I park during the day
Appreciate 1
rkx3m40i176.50
      01-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #13
GuyBetterSlowDown
Rep
Drives: 16 AMG GLA45, 07 Shelby GT500

Nice write-up. I'm still in the market for a car in this segment. For the first few weeks of shopping I was pretty sure I wanted a GLC43. I've already got one AMG that is smaller and quicker than any vehicle in this segment, a GLA45, but that is too small to tow so am also in the market between the SQ5, X3 m40i, GLC43, F-Pace S, or Macan S/GTS. I'm looking to buy used, 2017+, up to $48k. Prefer CPO under 25k miles.

Anyhow, I was able to eliminate the SQ5 and F-Pace S because they don't compete well with the other 3. I ruled out the Porsche due to the fact they tend to run ~$5k higher or so and on-paper I don't see any reason why they should fetch any more $ than the BMW or MB. I've got a friend that runs a performance shop and he's been really impressed with the B58 out of the box, and tells me it is pretty responsive to tuning. What really made my decision complete though, was seeing the factory tow option on the X3. That is just perfect, and keeps me from having to tear apart the back end of a vehicle to put aftermarket towing in and splice wiring. I don't think the MB or the Porsche offer a tow package quite like the BMW but I might be wrong on that. Also, of my top 3 considerations, the BMW was the best in terms of acceleration performance if you consider the 0-60, 5-60, 0-130, and quarter mile. And... the GLC looks a little more pretty/elegant and the X3 looks a little more sport/utilitarian (and I like that).

Anyhow, still in the market, cash in hand... looking for the right pre-owned ride..
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      01-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #14
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyBetterSlowDown View Post
Nice write-up. I'm still in the market for a car in this segment. For the first few weeks of shopping I was pretty sure I wanted a GLC43. I've already got one AMG that is smaller and quicker than any vehicle in this segment, a GLA45, but that is too small to tow so am also in the market between the SQ5, X3 m40i, GLC43, F-Pace S, or Macan S/GTS. I'm looking to buy used, 2017+, up to $48k. Prefer CPO under 25k miles.

Anyhow, I was able to eliminate the SQ5 and F-Pace S because they don't compete well with the other 3. I ruled out the Porsche due to the fact they tend to run ~$5k higher or so and on-paper I don't see any reason why they should fetch any more $ than the BMW or MB. I've got a friend that runs a performance shop and he's been really impressed with the B58 out of the box, and tells me it is pretty responsive to tuning. What really made my decision complete though, was seeing the factory tow option on the X3. That is just perfect, and keeps me from having to tear apart the back end of a vehicle to put aftermarket towing in and splice wiring. I don't think the MB or the Porsche offer a tow package quite like the BMW but I might be wrong on that. Also, of my top 3 considerations, the BMW was the best in terms of acceleration performance if you consider the 0-60, 5-60, 0-130, and quarter mile. And... the GLC looks a little more pretty/elegant and the X3 looks a little more sport/utilitarian (and I like that).

Anyhow, still in the market, cash in hand... looking for the right pre-owned ride..
I'm waiting to see what the Genesis GV70 turns into. The G70 is already a fantastic sedan and I can see the CUV version being just as good. The TTV6 is a real gem.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #15
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
I'm waiting to see what the Genesis GV70 turns into. The G70 is already a fantastic sedan and I can see the CUV version being just as good. The TTV6 is a real gem.
I sure don't like the front grille or the tail lights on that new SUV.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #16
mjX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

When I settled on my 2019 X3 M40i, I test drove: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, Audi SQ5, MB GLC 43 AMG. The Benz was nice with better interior, but the M40i was the better driver.

Then I threw the MB GLC 63 AMG and Stelvio Quadrifoglio into the equation. The GLC 63 was quick AF and had a sick exhaust note. However, you noticed the weight of the vehicle in the handling department.

My decision came down to the Stelvio QV and the M40i. I took them both on numerous test drives, along the exact same routes, back to back for fair comparisons. The exhaust note of the Stelvio QV in Race Mode is something to experience. The handling of that vehicle is out of this world for an SUV. The M40i couldn't touch it there. As far as speed goes, the Stelvio QV was fast, but the M40i really was not far behind at all. However, when you factor in the interior quality, passenger volume and price, the M40i was the winner for me.

You're right OP. It's the best bang-for-the-buck out there. Just my .02.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      01-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #17
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

My buddy has the GLC 43 and drove all summer with winter tires ! Says ride quality is abysmal on summer tires and rims . Car has air bag suspension which has failed in first year as well. Im thrilled with the X3M40i ride and handling,not to mention superb tranny and engine. Well done BMW.
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
sinbad4782.50
      01-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #18
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Very good write up and review, I enjoyed reading it. One good rival is the x3M comp. my X3M comp msrp was fully loaded around 83.6k but my sale price with incentives was 69.5. An additional 9.5k is still a big difference but not so much over a 5 year period if financed or residualized on a lease. The extra money was worth it for me but for most people the x3 m40i is a better value. I normally would of went for an m3/4 but needed an suv so this was the closest I was going to get.
Rbrown2765.50
sinbad4782.50
      01-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #19
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

For those still deciding and as much as I liked my '18 GLC43, the M40i is the better drivers car, IMO. The steering in the 43 is lighter (not good, IMHO), the suspension is a little more harsh, and trans can be a little harder shifting when you don't want it to be. It's not by a ton, but the BMW definitely felt more sure-footed.

From an electronics stand point, pre-2020, the BMW wins again. The COMAND system in the 17-19 GLC43 was so-so and voice commands were terrible. You also were forced to choose between either having COMAND with a larger screen or ACP/Android Auto with a smaller screen. The MBUX in the new 2020s is light years ahead of the prior system.

The GLC with 21 summer's does have the crabbing issue at full lock when the tires are cold. Apparently, all seasons cured that for the most part and didn't negatively affect the drive too much. This seems to be common with HP tires that are cold as happens on Porsche, Vette, etc. It did shock me somewhat the first time I felt it, but a lot of the complaints came from people driving on summer tires in cold weather (under 40) and it clearly states not to...but who listens to the manual...

That said, I had no issues with my GLC other than a little outer tire wear on the fronts (alignment?) somewhat early, IMO, and I liked the more "rawness" of the car. It sounded good but not as many pops/bangs/burbles as the BMW. I personally preferred the MB styling over the BMW by a little bit. To me, BMW is the finesse/great driver, while the MB is the raw/muscle carlike machine. You cant really go wrong with either, just depends on what you want.

We'll see how this pans out for my next purchase, which will probably be between a GLC63 or X3MC. First world problems...

PS. Happy to try and answer any other GLC43 ?'s, if anyone has them.
sinbad4782.50
      01-19-2020, 03:23 AM   #20
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John26830 View Post
Doesn't the dimming dash lights bother anyone, it's driving me crazy 🤪 I have to use a flashlight to shine on the gauge cluster to have the Id7 brighten up when I park during the day
You know you can set the dash not to auto dim? There’s an option in ID7 you can untick.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:34 AM   #21
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Very good write up 👍
      01-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #22
GuyBetterSlowDown
Rep
Drives: 16 AMG GLA45, 07 Shelby GT500

Nice write-up and details on your experience with the GLC 43 , chrisk03.

I still haven't purchased anything, but a '18 X3 m40i is my leading pick although if the right '17-'18 GLC 43 or Macan S/GTS comes available on the pre-owned market I still may go that way. It used to be a 3-way race in my mind but at this point, and the more I learn and read, the more I just want the X3.

I've got a MB now - a hard-loaded '16 AMG GLA45. 25hp more than the m40i and 600lbs less weight.. it's a hoot. That is primarily the wife's car and we'll be keeping that for another 4 years or so. Here's a picture of that while I'm at it...

Anyhow, with those summer 20's we have slight crabbing at full lock less than 5mph but no issue with our 18" winter setup. It's a slight annoyance and I do know what you are talking about. The #1 thing I don't like about the Benz is the infotainment - COMAND. It feels at least 5 years behind everyone else, and if I end up with a '17-'18 I'm not sure whether it's the same version of COMAND we have in our '16 or not... but that would be a disappointment.. especially versus the m40i, which really looks to be fantastic.

My DD the last several years has been a built '12 Wrangler... 37's, lift, bumpers, winch, etc.. $12k of aftermarket stuff but after DD Wrangler for several years I just need to get back into something more fun and less common. I only get to drive my built Shelby on weekends and this winter I decided to just park it for a few months of the winter and took the insurance off of it... dumb move on my part and I won't do that again, not worth saving a few bucks.

Back to the m40i.. it's the factory tow option that is the #1 differentiator for me right now. That's just perfect as this will be my tow vehicle for getting the boat to the lake this year.
Appreciate 2
sinbad4782.50
chrisk03153.00