BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-27-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
Myszy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 g01

Ambient lighting too dim?

Hi all, I’m a new owner of a 2020 X3 and I noticed the ambient lighting is a bit dim. I tried different settings and increasing the brightness of the dashboard itself but no luck.
It seems part of the lighting strip is brighter than the rest - so it goes from bright to very dim. Not sure if this is supposed to be like this, if it is then fine but honestly I think something might be wrong, but oddly it’s like that on each door (the bottom strip is barely visible), and even on the dashboard strip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2023, 03:51 PM   #2
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
The lower door strip should be uniform in intensity across the strip. Something doesn’t look right with that picture.

The only adjustment for ambient lighting is the settings in iDrive for the ambient lights… there is one for brightness. Also there is one that dims them when you have the headlights on.

That said, in the daytime, depending on the color you may not even see the lower colors and the upper is barely visible in bright sunlight. At night you should see everything in its full glory.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 01:57 AM   #3
Myszy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
The lower door strip should be uniform in intensity across the strip. Something doesn’t look right with that picture.

The only adjustment for ambient lighting is the settings in iDrive for the ambient lights… there is one for brightness. Also there is one that dims them when you have the headlights on.

That said, in the daytime, depending on the color you may not even see the lower colors and the upper is barely visible in bright sunlight. At night you should see everything in its full glory.
I get that it can be barely visible in daylight, but what I meant about the lower strip on doors being barely visible was that it’s barely visible even at night - just a very dim glow coming from under the trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #4
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myszy View Post
I get that it can be barely visible in daylight, but what I meant about the lower strip on doors being barely visible was that it’s barely visible even at night - just a very dim glow coming from under the trim.

I just went thru this, there are two SIBs regarding ambient light. Dealer should knock it out for you under warranty.

If they're lazy (and they all are), they'll replace the entire trim panel (not the door panel) with the light tubes already installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #5
Myszy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabster2010 View Post
I just went thru this, there are two SIBs regarding ambient light. Dealer should knock it out for you under warranty.

If they're lazy (and they all are), they'll replace the entire trim panel (not the door panel) with the light tubes already installed.
Unfortunately my car’s already out of warranty so that might not work. I do however have some third party warranty/insurance kind of thing, maybe this can cover the repair.
So what was the problem with yours, was it also not lighting the full strip evenly?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #6
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myszy View Post
Unfortunately my car’s already out of warranty so that might not work. I do however have some third party warranty/insurance kind of thing, maybe this can cover the repair.
So what was the problem with yours, was it also not lighting the full strip evenly?

They developed hot spots, where light would concentrate in two spots and the rest of the tube would be almost dark. One of them eventually died.

Here are the SIBs.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SIB-630720-FrontPanelLightFailure.pdf (332.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf SIB-ambientLight-MC-10194309-9999.pdf (516.1 KB, 86 views)
Appreciate 0