BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
interesting new watch Stone & Metal

Saw this on kickstarter.com and I immediately ordered one. Thought it was really cool that they are incorporating stone with metal. Im getting the Granite one from the Infinity collection.

Anyway here is the link
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...eel-w?ref=live

what do you guys think?

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.

Last edited by K19BMW; 10-29-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
150+ views and no opinions?

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Like the concept a lot, but not really in love with the face design. If I had to choose one I'd go with the Slate.
      10-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

I see these cracking very easily or at the very least chipping.

The stones they are using are not particularly strong at all. The other problem you have with using most types of stone is that its tensile and compressive strength is much much lower than steel.

These are a neat idea, but I bet they look like crap after a few months of use. Perhaps someone will prove me wrong, but it's a novelty as far as I'm concerned.

There's a reason why other watch manufacturers are going to ceramic rather than stone.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Durability might be an issue, which is why I assume most luxury watch companies use metals like stainless steel and sapphire crystal - it can get banged up and still hold.

I'm also not a huge fan of the watch faces...

Could be cool though, definitely a nice little niche market! And good luck to the company!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

cool concept but cant see myself wearing any one of those designs
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Durability might be an issue, which is why I assume most luxury watch companies use metals like stainless steel and sapphire crystal - it can get banged up and still hold.

I'm also not a huge fan of the watch faces...

Could be cool though, definitely a nice little niche market! And good luck to the company!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
I see these cracking very easily or at the very least chipping.

The stones they are using are not particularly strong at all. The other problem you have with using most types of stone is that its tensile and compressive strength is much much lower than steel.

These are a neat idea, but I bet they look like crap after a few months of use. Perhaps someone will prove me wrong, but it's a novelty as far as I'm concerned.

There's a reason why other watch manufacturers are going to ceramic rather than stone.
I thought about the possibility of chipping or cracking but as far as these stones go they are a 7 on the mohs scale which is pretty hard. Of course this watch will prob be fairly heavy so i wouldnt wear it as an everyday watch

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

ugly looking watch
      10-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
Saw this on kickstarter.com and I immediately ordered one. Thought it was really cool that they are incorporating stone with metal. Im getting the Granite one from the Infinity collection.

Anyway here is the link

what do you guys think?
Not stone, mind you, but yet another concept sort of watch. Gustafasson & Sjogren do something to the metal to make it look like wood.

There's also a company that makes affordables using cement for the case and dial, but rubber for the strap.

Stone as a band material doesn't sound comfortable at all. Did you buy one? Is it pleasant to wear? My sense is that the more traditional take -- to use stone - for the dial is going to be more practical, but it's certainly not as innovative. Here are some examples. The case on these is 6.6 mm. (green = malachite; blue = lapis lazuli, which is just fun to say if nothing else. LOL)

And then there's the uber- traditional use of stone, or more appopriately, stones:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Not stone, mind you, but yet another concept sort of watch. Gustafasson & Sjogren do something to the metal to make it look like wood.

There's also a company that makes affordables using cement for the case and dial, but rubber for the strap.

Stone as a band material doesn't sound comfortable at all. Did you buy one? Is it pleasant to wear? My sense is that the more traditional take -- to use stone - for the dial is going to be more practical, but it's certainly not as innovative. Here are some examples. The case on these is 6.6 mm. (green = malachite; blue = lapis lazuli, which is just fun to say if nothing else. LOL)

And then there's the uber- traditional use of stone, or more appopriately, stones:

I really like those wood metal watches! Thanks for posting it, im gonna to check those out.

As far as the Lexell watches go, i ordered one but i wont be getting it till feb.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

Michael Kobold is doing this in the US... using rock from the base of Mt Everest and incorporating it into the dials of his watches

http://koboldwatch.com/en/timepieces...verest-edition
      01-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Anyway here is the link

what do you guys think?
Here are some more stone watches: Dzmitry Samal. These are limited edition watches that are signed and numbered.

http://www.samaldesign.net/en/25-mon...try-samal.html
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/dzmitry-...s-in-concrete/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
^^ definetely interesting designs but a little too wacky for my taste
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
So I received the watch yesterday. I can write up a little review and post some pics tomorrow for anyone that is interested.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I received the watch yesterday. I can write up a little review and post some pics tomorrow for anyone that is interested.
Please do. Would love to read your impressions.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
ClamDigger
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi, Premium & Sport

Quote:
Please do. I think they look awesome. Really liking the slate.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys i didnt forget about this. I just havent had a chance to get the watch fitted so once i get that done on friday i will post a review
Appreciate 0