BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
animal.style
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Black Sapphire

M40i staying in low gears on hills

I drive on a lot of steep hills with a lot of stops. I only go about 20 mph. The engine shifts from M1 to M2 but not to M3. Yes, I understand that sometimes you need to stay in a lower gear on steep hills, but my car isn't struggling at all. Still it stays in M2 and revs over 3000 rpm. This is the same in comfort or sport. My only solution is to manually shift to M3. A little annoying. Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal.style View Post
I drive on a lot of steep hills with a lot of stops. I only go about 20 mph. The engine shifts from M1 to M2 but not to M3. Yes, I understand that sometimes you need to stay in a lower gear on steep hills, but my car isn't struggling at all. Still it stays in M2 and revs over 3000 rpm. This is the same in comfort or sport. My only solution is to manually shift to M3. A little annoying. Anyone else have this problem?
Try Comfort or Eco mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Jcbmally
Started with nothing, still got most of it left.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Cupra Ateca 300ps 4drive

Quote:
I believe the sat nav "knows" the route and keeps optimum gearing for the terrain/hill.
      11-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
animal.style
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbmally View Post
Quote:
I believe the sat nav "knows" the route and keeps optimum gearing for the terrain/hill.
This might be the case. It's annoying because even after I'm on flatter ground it stays in a low gear and stays at 3000-3500 rpm. Only solution so far is to manually shift, or to give it a lot more gas and speed up the narrow hills at 35mph. But by the time it shifts, I'm at the stop sign haha
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
This might be the case. It's annoying because even after I'm on flatter ground it stays in a low gear and stays at 3000-3500 rpm. Only solution so far is to manually shift, or to give it a lot more gas and speed up the narrow hills at 35mph. But by the time it shifts, I'm at the stop sign haha
I don't think this generation of Sat Nav shifts gears in response to upcoming terrain.
Appreciate 0