BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Shift settings

New X3M Comp arriving this week and I’m in the position of never having had an automatic car before. However, I’ve had loads of BMWs with adaptive suspension and M Cars with adjustable steering, dampers and throttle response. Just so I’m clear, in the X3, the only thing that adjusts shift speed is the button on the gear selector lever, so effectively there are 4 settings:

1 for shift (on lever)
Then Separate buttons for
2 engine map
3 suspension
4 steering

My confusion is surely the shift is affected by engine map... or maybe not? Is the ONLY thing that affects shifting the button with 3 settings on the lever...?

And - what settings to most people have all 4 separate items most of the time?

Many thanks from an auto newbie.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CLBB437M View Post
New X3M Comp arriving this week and I’m in the position of never having had an automatic car before. However, I’ve had loads of BMWs with adaptive suspension and M Cars with adjustable steering, dampers and throttle response. Just so I’m clear, in the X3, the only thing that adjusts shift speed is the button on the gear selector lever, so effectively there are 4 settings:

1 for shift (on lever)
2 engine map
3 suspension
4 steering

My confusion is surely the shift is affected by engine map... or maybe not? Is the ONLY thing that affects shifting the button with 3 settings on the lever...?

I think most of the people just program and use the M1 and M2 buttons. My M1 (wife and kid in the car) is D2 transmission, suspension comfy, engine and steering sport. M2 (alone) is D3 transmission, sport suspension, engine and steering sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

1 for shift (on lever)
2 engine map
3 suspension
4 steering

They are all independent of each other, you'll also have exhaust, DSC and xdrive torque distribution settings as well plus option of manual changes as well as auto for the gearbox x 3 on each.

As has been said find your two favourite settings and put them on the M1/2 red levers.

Although I've always found myself playing endlessly with everything all the time with my previous M cars this new one will be no different.
      12-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

You will need to play with the settings until you find what you like just as the above posts said. You asked about shifts, for example in efficient mode you can have the shifts be soft to the point where you don't feel it changing gears or you can have instant changes where you feel it all while in efficient puttering around a parking lot.

The level of customization is quite incredible. Here is a sample of the option per mode...

Engine x3
Suspension x3
Steering x3
DSC x3
Drivetrain x2
Exhaust x2
Transmission Shift Speed x3
Transmission Mode x2

Lots to tinker with and just when you figure it out you will find you like something better as you get familiar with the vehicle.
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
BMWZ41909.50
      12-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I personally don't understand the inbetween settings.

I use default Efficient / Comfort / Comfort / D1 when pootling around.

M1 is set for needing power quick so Sport+ / Comfort / Comfort / S3 and M Sport HUD on

M2 is set for Sport+ / Sport / Sport / S3 / 4WD Sport and M Sport HUD on. Easy to switch traction all the way of too if needed.

So D2 and S2 and Sport for engine are pointless for me.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll also add that S3 is a bit lame. I expected more aggressive shifts, but hard to do with the ZF gearbox apparently.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I have M1 for a more responsive comfort mode. Sport Engine, D2, Comfort steering and suspension. I have M2 being more aggressive with Sport Plus engine, S3, sport steering and suspension. Both modes keep DSC in regular 4WD. I've not felt the need to make the suspension harder or the steering heavier with plus options.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
BOGX4M
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC X5 40d

Your Left Leg!

Quote:
I’m in the position of never having had an automatic car before.
By my mind, your main challenge is to take care of you Left Leg:
when you want to speed up, you will be tempted to put de clutch pedal down
(to shift the gear) but your left foot will find the break pedal ... Imagine the result!

Ref. shift speed: You will probable use a lot the shifting pedals behind the wheel
because you are used to change gear by yourself. It will be very pleasant for a period of time.
After that you will become lazy and you will let the automatic gearbox to do the job!

(Personal experience)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

M1 is set for needing power quick so Sport+ / Comfort / Comfort / S3 and M Sport HUD on

M2 is set for Sport+ / Sport / Sport / S3 / 4WD Sport and M Sport HUD on. Easy to switch traction all the way of too if needed.

I think the point is choice and configurability, with the best will in the world they not going to make a Moff version, but actually they did.....
      12-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

D1 feels like Nissan’s CVT to me. The shifts are too soft. D2 shifts are a bit harder and the transmission shifts at higher rpms. D3 is pretty darn good.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:24 AM   #11
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think the point is choice and configurability, with the best will in the world they not going to make a Moff version, but actually they did.....
I suppose what I am trying to say is that cars are a little needlessly complex these days.

Prefer the old school way - my C63 had only a few options - Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Race. Standard non adaptive suspension that was both comfortable and sporty. An epic exhaust sound whatever the mode.

Similarly in my 440i it was a little easier with Comfort, Sport and Sport+ - there weren't too many button presses to get things right.

I'll get used to it, but I never really seem to have the perfect combo.

Also the exhaust option in Efficient, I may be going mad but it sounds the same turned off or turned on???

Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      12-02-2019, 03:49 AM   #12
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
I suppose what I am trying to say is that cars are a little needlessly complex these days.

Prefer the old school way - my C63 had only a few options - Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Race. Standard non adaptive suspension that was both comfortable and sporty. An epic exhaust sound whatever the mode.

Similarly in my 440i it was a little easier with Comfort, Sport and Sport+ - there weren't too many button presses to get things right.

Also the exhaust option in Efficient, I may be going mad but it sounds the same turned off or turned on???
I'm the exact opposite. In my 430i Efficient was too lazy, comfort was OK, sport was too jumpy unless in manual, there was no middle ground when cruising around with family. And to make it worse, the drivetrain wasn't linked to the buttons the way steering and engine were, so you had to push the shifter over too.

I love that I can tailor M1 and M2 to exactly how I want them. Default for pooling in traffic, M1 for a bit more responsiveness when out with family, M2 for on my own. M1 is that middle ground. And once set, it's a simple 2 button affair.
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
I'm the exact opposite. In my 430i Efficient was too lazy, comfort was OK, sport was too jumpy unless in manual, there was no middle ground when cruising around with family. And to make it worse, the drivetrain wasn't linked to the buttons the way steering and engine were, so you had to push the shifter over too.

I love that I can tailor M1 and M2 to exactly how I want them. Default for pooling in traffic, M1 for a bit more responsiveness when out with family, M2 for on my own. M1 is that middle ground. And once set, it's a simple 2 button affair.
That's exactly how I setup my buttons as well with those same criterion.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

I hear what you're saying, but I love the buttons and the fact that you can do anything you want as others can tie you to this or that like the QF where you can't have a loud exhaust without turning the TC off (which puts me off the car entirely)

I used sport mode as my default setting on my F80 M3 F10 M5, programmed M1 with sport/sport/sport/normal HUD/MDM so it was just one press as I got in the car, M2 was everything turned up to 11, I'd then mess about as the mood took me on a long run I'd turn it all down and get 38mpg in the M3.

It was like having 3 cars in one and I'd say that sport is the goldilocks setting between them all.