BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #67
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
would they still produce '22 M2C?
No. As noted in the thread I referred to in the second post of this thread, the F87 M2 will end production when the F22 ends production in June 2021.
Appreciate 2
termigni1080.00
      10-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #68
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
(Disclaimer)
This is not a leak. But an impression to show you how just as the 4er that It's a fine balance between evolution and although I hate this word. Retro.
The original 2002 was the sports sedan precursor to the all conquering 3. I would say 2er begins More of a transition to this now that the line has been separated from the all new(and different) 1er.
Will the G42/87 design language be in line with the G22/80/82? Can we expect the huge grill as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #69
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
People who never owned a RWD 6 cylinder car, this is the time

BTW, are we going to see a RWD 2GC based on this platform?
Official word is "never" as they are distinct platforms. I'm going to keep nagging since it worked for my current car (E36M 4 door), though the current platform architecture constraints basically rule it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #70
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
As enthusiasts we need to stop asking for more power and better performance.

The increased performance is delegating driver's cars to become auto-only with more going to AWD due to the increased power, so we can get better HP numbers, 0-60, 1/4 mile, Ring times, all the while - Those improved metrics actually make the cars less engaging to drive.

The testing numbers will be great while the engagement will be obsolete. Then buyers turn to older cars that were not as powerful, but were (RWD/6MT delights) that feel more than adequately powered and gave the driver enough involvement to be considered great all around driving experiences.
Amen, though a little more power would be nice. I guess if we had gotten the European motor in the E36 at the outset, I'd be even more content than I am now. Since I''m not tracking the car these days, it's got plenty of power to be engaging on offramps and occasional rural roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #71
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

The lack of confirmation of a manual is honestly a bit worrying. Since they went out of their way to claim it will be RWD and have a 6 cyl option, they could have also verified the manual option.
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma517.00
      10-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #72
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
The lack of confirmation of a manual is honestly a bit worrying. Since they went out of their way to claim it will be RWD and have a 6 cyl option, they could have also verified the manual option.
There's a very good chance the G42 will not have an available manual transmission. There's also a very good chance that the G87 will.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #73
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Will the G42/87 design language be in line with the G22/80/82? Can we expect the huge grill as well?
It won't be as big as the 4. But still prominent.
      10-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #74
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

@newnmpr0ved

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnmpr0ved View Post
Thank you BMW, you saved me $80,000.

Now lets see if they destroy the M2's front end with these ugly oversized grills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Please no.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Based on every new BMW I have seen, highly likely.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I'm going to hug my M2 when I get home after seeing this mess. One of the reasons I love it is the "more traditional looking" BMW design language it has. I couldn't give two shits if someone says it looks like a normal 2 series or it's boring looking, in my opinion, its beautiful and unlike this mess and the upcoming cars it actually looks like a BMW.
you know what to do.... (vote with your wallet) Besides, it's Cheaper to Keep Her..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      10-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #75
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESZ4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
no worries; there is still time for them to add a terrible ZF 8 speed slushbox into the mix to ruin everything.
lol do you ever have anything non-sarcastic or non cynical to contribute?

it's gotten old.

if you hate BMW so much why not switch brands and leave the forum altogether?
I actually like the 8 speed box and don't understand why some are so in love with a manual. Apparently, something like 85% now go for auto BMWs rather than manual.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      10-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #76
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
no worries; there is still time for them to add a terrible ZF 8 speed slushbox into the mix to ruin everything.
Even Mercedes started using 7spd DCTs. I don't know why bmw moved away from them in their performance cars.
Mercedes cars aren't keeping up with BMW's cars, so.........
lol that's mostly due to the weight difference not transmissions!

And Mercedes just started using the DCT (no comparisons have been done yet with a DCT Merc AS far as I know) so that might change lol
      10-24-2019, 02:32 AM   #77
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Guys, there is still hope left! From a BMW official,

"There will be a successor that will be on a rear-wheel-drive platform, so customers who want and need a new 2 Series coupe will find that in our line-up, as well as those who want a six-cylinder."

The manual is still unconfirmed, but we will still likely have one in the M2 coupe, as officials previously said that lower tier M's (M2/3/4) will have a manual for the future.

Original Article:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/2-...e-mercedes-cla
BMW have said this several times already. Awaiting next article in a couple months saying BMW confirms rwd 2 series, again.
I know, I thought this was already known. I think many people were confused by the "2 series" gran coupe. They thought that it represented the new 2 series platform, instead it's an entirely different car. I have to say that naming that car the 2gc was deceitful. The 2 series platform probably isn't particularly amenable to adopting a gran coupe style, so they used the 1 series platform instead. Ok fair enough but call it what it is, a 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:42 AM   #78
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

it's gotten old.

Some people just enjoy being perpetually negative. If they don't have anything negative to say, they wont say anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #79
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:

it's gotten old.

I actually like the 8 speed box and don't understand why some are so in love with a manual. Apparently, something like 85% now go for auto BMWs rather than manual.
What's there to understand? There was a time when all of BMWs most desirable cars were manual transmission. I own a car that ONLY came in a manual transmission. I refuse to buy any car with a torque converted automatic; as do other true enthusiasts I know.

It's fine some of you drive automatics and buy those cars; but to defend those gearboxes and argue they are more enjoyable than a manual is frankly an invalid argument!!
      10-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #80
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
BMW design has a disconnect across their lineups. Some cars have HUGE grilles while others don't. Crazy thing is the new 3er has the updated conjoined grille while the 4er is getting the saloon door front end.

But, there's still hope that the next gen 2er won't have a monstrosity of a grille. At least I 'hope' so.
(Disclaimer)
This is not a leak. But an impression to show you how just as the 4er that It's a fine balance between evolution and although I hate this word. Retro.
The original 2002 was the sports sedan precursor to the all conquering 3. I would say 2er begins More of a transition to this now that the line has been separated from the all new(and different) 1er.
You mean something "retro" like this?
Attached Images

10-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #81
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:

it's gotten old.

What's there to understand? There was a time when all of BMWs most desirable cars were manual transmission. I own a car that ONLY came in a manual transmission. I refuse to buy any car with a torque converted automatic; as do other true enthusiasts I know.

It's fine some of you drive automatics and buy those cars; but to defend those gearboxes and argue they are more enjoyable than a manual is frankly an invalid argument!!
Not sure that I said that.

Albeit, if you are asking, yes a prefer DCT/DSG/Auto. The days when auto trans made a car slower, are fortunately long gone.

I also appreciate that some prefer manual though.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #82
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:

It's not an invalid argument. People can like what they like and just because you think something is more enjoyable, doesn't mean other people have to also find that particular thing more enjoyable as well.

Some people genuinely have more fun yanking on a paddle than moving around a little lever between the seats. Some people even have more fun yanking on a paddle than getting in a car, feeling super insecure because...shit man, Stacy is like right over there and SHIT, i knew i should've taken Brad up on his offer to learn on his sentra back in the day, do you think Stacy cares? I can't risk it. Fuck it. From now on i like autos better. I've made that decision for the rest of my life and that's final. Stacy can never know.

But regardless of people's reasons, they're allowed to feel that way and it can be perfectly valid.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #83
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
This is not good news. The grille is an eyesore.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #84
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
I won't get used to anything! Happy with my 1M and keeping it long long long term (permanent part of my garage).

Won't buy any car with a torque converter gearbox. Would rather buy something else if I need a 2nd car. BMW isn't the only brand

DCT lost out to ZF8 because of 2 reasons; cost and cost (and possibly also economy and mileage ratings). The ZF8 is a much cheaper gearbox to produce/implement and to maintain. Because it doesn't require the same degree of engineering it's a huge cost cutting benefit to companies who feel customers won't notice or care. Well we do care! Can you imagine a 911 with a ZF8? Will never ever happen...they did traditional auto boxes in the 80s when there were no better options but it will never happen again.
BMW is well aware M2 is a hardcore enthusiast's car because the car doesn't make sense to the majority of people who think bigger is better.
I doubt they will move away from RWD+DCT/6MT since that combined with its compact size are M2's main selling points.

Only issues I have with M2 are a somewhat crappy interior with slightly dumb rear end compared to the slick M4's Hofmeister kink coupe line.

Last edited by kyrix1st; 10-30-2019 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0