BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #23
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike72uk View Post
I'm in the UK, and seems those guys (unfortunately) only do USA and Canada.
Doesn't your car already have it? I thought all European cars have it. Or are UK regulations similar to those in the US?
You have to optioned it to have it.
      10-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #24
Mike72uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i (MY20)

Quote:
Doesn't your car already have it? I thought all European cars have it. Or are UK regulations similar to those in the US?
I have no idea. I know it comes with "Icon Adaptive Headlights" and there is a button on the stalk (below the "BC" button to turn on the auto high beam as far as I can see. Need to take her out after dark and check. She's off for ceramic coating today, so maybe sometime next week.

M.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:13 AM   #25
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Adaptive headlights

In the meantime you can decode your VIN a check if code 552 Adaptive LED lights is present. If not, you might be out of luck, since afaik these are the only lights which are..
well..adaptive Other version doesn't have the capability to do that. Or check the lights, there is Adaptive written on them if they are. If they are not, I believe there is no way to code them to be.
      10-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #26
Mike72uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i (MY20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
In the meantime you can decode your VIN a check if code 552 Adaptive LED lights is present. If not, you might be out of luck, since afaik these are the only lights which are..
well..adaptive Other version doesn't have the capability to do that. Or check the lights, there is Adaptive written on them if they are. If they are not, I believe there is no way to code them to be.
Definitely adaptive - have adaptive written on them and I believe in the UK ICON Adaptive LED headlights are standard on M40i/d

M.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #27
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike72uk View Post
Definitely adaptive - have adaptive written on them and I believe in the UK ICON Adaptive LED headlights are standard on M40i/d

M.
Hi Mike, you have adaptive on your M40i so need for coding. They do the fancy moving and selective lighting. The US seem to have different setups to us and it needs coding in some places. Just make sure you click the 'A' button under the 'BC' button as you described.

Bear in mind they only work under certain conditions which I can remember now. But it has to be past a certain speed and if there are street lights they turn off. I did a 250 mile trip at the weekend at night and it is fun watching them turn on and off with the cars in front and move about so it lights the sides of the road. I kept waiting to be flashed by someone but it didn't happen once, so quite impressive really.

They're probably not as good as I had thought they'd be in my mind, but I was all motorway so weren't as impressive as it is in the posted video. Might be better on twisty lanes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #28
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
So just to clarify - the US model X3, if you have the exec package with the 'Adaptive Full LED lights' do you get headlight swivel and automatic high beams (basically just turning them on and off in traffic), and ... that's it (besides having full led low/high beams)

Variable Light Distribution and Non-Glare High Beam(anti-dazzle) are all non-US only? I wonder why that is, some dumb behind-the-times DOT thing?

But from the sound of it the car, if it has the exec icon lights, the capability is there for US cards, just has to be coded? It may drive me insane knowing my car has the capability do all this and they've had to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #29
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolix21 View Post
So just to clarify - the US model X3, if you have the exec package with the 'Adaptive Full LED lights' do you get headlight swivel and automatic high beams (basically just turning them on and off in traffic), and ... that's it (besides having full led low/high beams)

Variable Light Distribution and Non-Glare High Beam(anti-dazzle) are all non-US only? I wonder why that is, some dumb behind-the-times DOT thing?

But from the sound of it the car, if it has the exec icon lights, the capability is there for US cards, just has to be coded? It may drive me insane knowing my car has the capability do all this and they've had to turn it off.
This:
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/11/...lights-safety/
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #30
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolix21 View Post

If you have option 552 (ADAPTIVE LED HEADLIGHT) and option 5AC (HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT), your headlights are capable of both non-glare high beams and variable light distribution. Both are disabled by BMW on US cars, so both require coding if you want to enable them. Variable light distribution is pretty easy to code, even with BimmerCode. Non-glare high beams require more than 200 coding changes, so E-Sys is pretty much a must to do it. I am currently trying to figure out how to code non-glare high beams.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      10-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #31
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you have option 552 (ADAPTIVE LED HEADLIGHT) and option 5AC (HIGH BEAM ASSISTANT), your headlights are capable of both non-glare high beams and variable light distribution. Both are disabled by BMW on US cars, so both require coding if you want to enable them. Variable light distribution is pretty easy to code, even with BimmerCode. Non-glare high beams require more than 200 coding changes, so E-Sys is pretty much a must to do it. I am currently trying to figure out how to code non-glare high beams.
Thanks for that info, very helpful - we have 552 and 5AC - I see codemybimmer has both as an option for G chassis

Some mixed info out there about the Non-glare high beams and US models missing hardware? Shutters of some sort in the lenses?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #32
gugin
United_States
Rep

Where did you see the mixed info? Was it specific to the X3 or did it relate to other models? It is known that headlamps on other BMW models are either completely incapable of NGHB or do not perform it correctly because of missing hardware in the US version of the headlamps. When it comes to the adaptive LED headlamps in the G01 X3, I have only read that they fully support NGHB.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #33
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Where did you see the mixed info? Was it specific to the X3 or did it relate to other models? It is known that headlamps on other BMW models are either completely incapable of NGHB or do not perform it correctly because of missing hardware in the US version of the headlamps. When it comes to the adaptive LED headlamps in the G01 X3, I have only read that they fully support NGHB.
It may have been about other models or early G01 threads people weren't 100% sure - but I also may have missed something or mis-read. If they do fully support that's excellent news.

I think VLD+NGHB would really help here in Colorado when out in the mountains where it can get crazy dark. DOT needs to get with the times so we don't have to do this dance.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #34
zeich83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

When I browsed Lamaster 2 a bit I stumbled upon C_HBA_GFHB_ENA and it contained G001 - enable as an option. What would changing this do? I though these options would all not be available with 5AP on the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #35
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeich83 View Post
When I browsed Lamaster 2 a bit I stumbled upon C_HBA_GFHB_ENA and it contained G001 - enable as an option. What would changing this do? I though these options would all not be available with 5AP on the car?
I think the code base is the same between all models/options - so the options are likely there, but enabling them wouldn't do anything without the hardware to support it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #36
zeich83
Private
Rep

When I go in to enable VLD I am able to set C_AFA_ENA to G001_enable but when I check LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y I do not see G001_AFS. All I can see is G011_AFS

Any ideas? Setting it to G011_AFS does not seem to work?! 2020 X3 M40i with adaptive LED, VIN decoder does not show 8S4 „Decode for Variable Light Distribution"
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #37
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Hi Mike, you have adaptive on your M40i so need for coding. They do the fancy moving and selective lighting. The US seem to have different setups to us and it needs coding in some places. Just make sure you click the 'A' button under the 'BC' button as you described.
You can code the car so that the high-beam assistant is active whenever the lights come on (as long as the headlight switch is in the 'Auto' position)

Once coded, you can us the 'A' button on the stalk to switch it off if required - that said, I coded our F25 immediately after delivery and have never been in a situation where I've felt the need to turn it off...
      10-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #38
caeguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X30i

Adaptive LED is needed for anti-dazzle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #39
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
You can code the car so that the high-beam assistant is active whenever the lights come on (as long as the headlight switch is in the 'Auto' position)

Once coded, you can us the 'A' button on the stalk to switch it off if required - that said, I coded our F25 immediately after delivery and have never been in a situation where I've felt the need to turn it off...
How does that work? No DRL?
      10-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #40
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Changing C_HBA_GFHB_ENA is not enough. You need to change about 250 settings to enable non-glare high beams.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #41
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I go in to enable VLD I am able to set C_AFA_ENA to G001_enable but when I check LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y I do not see G001_AFS. All I can see is G011_AFS

Any ideas? Setting it to G011_AFS does not seem to work?! 2020 X3 M40i with adaptive LED, VIN decoder does not show 8S4 „Decode for Variable Light Distribution"
Decoding of Variable Light Distribution has now been "baked into" the US settings. There is no longer an explicit decoding via option 8S4. What does G011_AFS correspond to in terms of the actual numerical value (so called Werte)? If it's [00 00 00], the it's the same as G001_AFS. On my 2019 M40i, there really are only two settings: the US default is [00 00 14]; the setting that enables VLD is [00 00 00].

How do you know that it does not work? It works fine on my 2019 model. Here is how I tested it. Park in the dark against a wall. Turn the car off. Turn the car back on. You should see that the low beams vertically adjust right after you start the car. Then drive on a dark road. Slow down to 20 mph and then speed up to 40 or 50 mph. You should see the low beams "rise up" and illuminate more road in front of you as you drive faster. The effect is hard to see in city lights. It's quite noticeable when driving on a dark road.

Just to reiterate to make sure we are all talking about the same thing: variable light distribution is different from non-glare high beams. The former pertains to low beams; the latter to high beams.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #42
zeich83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Decoding of Variable Light Distribution has now been "baked into" the US settings. There is no longer an explicit decoding via option 8S4. What does G011_AFS correspond to in terms of the actual numerical value (so called Werte)? If it's [00 00 00], the it's the same as G001_AFS. On my 2019 M40i, there really are only two settings: the US default is [00 00 14]; the setting that enables VLD is [00 00 00].

How do you know that it does not work? It works fine on my 2019 model. Here is how I tested it. Park in the dark against a wall. Turn the car off. Turn the car back on. You should see that the low beams vertically adjust right after you start the car. Then drive on a dark road. Slow down to 20 mph and then speed up to 40 or 50 mph. You should see the low beams "rise up" and illuminate more road in front of you as you drive faster. The effect is hard to see in city lights. It's quite noticeable when driving on a dark road.

Just to reiterate to make sure we are all talking about the same thing: variable light distribution is different from non-glare high beams. The former pertains to low beams; the latter to high beams.
Thank you for the follow-up! The G011 shows [00 00 00]. Let me retest. Maybe I was too impatient.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #43
zeich83
Private
Rep

The driver side swivels slightly left to right on startup but in road testing I wasn't successful. I will have to wait until I get out of the city onto more rural streets.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #44
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
How does that work? No DRL?
No, you still have the angel eyes DRL as normal - it's just when the ambient light level drops and automatic headlight activation turns the headlights on the HBA is turned on at the same time without any need to press the button on the stalk