BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Camg816
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E83 3.0si 6mt

Power steering fail? but not.

While driving a couple miles away from the house I turn into a Store parking lot and lose power steering from the turn in until I get to a parking spot. Turn off the car and I check all the hoses and no rips or tears or anything out of the normal. Belts look good and power steering tank levels are perfect. Restart the car and power steering is back, I decide to drive it back home and park it. **Rewind a Few months ago I got the airbag pressure sensor replaced under recall. As anyone knows who takes their car to the dealer, they gave me the health report for the car. On the report they state that I need a Belt tension assy, also a expansion tank with sensor. I know that something was up because I had to feed the radiator coolant once a week and it was something I was putting off. So now I have a new tank and sensor on the way. I took the tension off the belt and checked all the pulleys and inspected the belt and all looked good and to be in working order. Tensioner had no play in it and was good and stiff. I cant for the life of me think of what would make the power steering stop momentarily. Any Ideas?
07 E83 3.0SI 6mt
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Check the DME/other control modules for any bmw specific codes...that's step 1.
Step 2 is to check your battery and see if it is healthy...do a load test. Step 3 is to visually inspect all ground straps...use a creeper and roll around under the car, making sure they all look fine.
Appreciate 0