BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Does anyone have any personal recommendations on paint protection film (PPF) types?
I know there are various brands out there now, and 3M was actually the first who started the PPF industry.
However, calling around all the local PPF installers they either only work with 3M or XPEL, and stand by their brands, as we'd assume they would.
So lets leave this thread in topic for the 2 major brands, and have forum members share thoughts, comments snd opinions below.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Redman67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Soon to be X3 M40i

I had my X3 covered with Xpel PFF on the front end, hood, front fenders, a-pillars and the strip in front of the sunroof. The entire car is ceramic coated using opticoat pro plus. Not cheap but the peace of mind knowing I did everything I could to protect the most vulnerable parts of the car was worth it to me.

The car is super easy to wash and looks great.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman67 View Post
I had my X3 covered with Xpel PFF on the front end, hood, front fenders, a-pillars and the strip in front of the sunroof. The entire car is ceramic coated using opticoat pro plus. Not cheap but the peace of mind knowing I did everything I could to protect the most vulnerable parts of the car was worth it to me.

The car is super easy to wash and looks great.
Great. Any reason why you went with this brand and not any other one? Or was this pretty much the option?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Redman67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Soon to be X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Great. Any reason why you went with this brand and not any other one? Or was this pretty much the option?
I did some research and it had one of the best warranties and was recommended by a detailer that I trust. This is the first car that I have had protected.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

I was just looking at films and found this, tough decision!

XPEL PAINT PROTECTION FILMS

XPEL offers four paint protection film lines for your consideration:

XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film – The special clear coat on this virtually invisible urethane film prevents discoloration due to contamination and UV radiation. The super-slick surface also allows for bug residue and other unsightly blemishes to wipe away with ease. What’s more, the XPEL ULTIMATE boasts a self-healing feature that makes light swirl marks, scratches and stains practically disappear.

XPEL STEALTH Satin Paint Protection Film – It’s hard to keep matte finishes in showroom condition, so you owe it to your car to preserve its satin paint job. XPEL STEALTH has the same self-healing and protective features as ULTIMATE, but it’s designed to match the sheen of most factory matte paints. And if you’re looking for a reversible, low-cost way to transform your car’s appearance, XPEL STEALTH can transform your car’s glossy paint into a sleek satin finish.

XPEL XTREME Paint Protection Film – Designed for minimal visual impact, XTREME is the clearest, thinnest paint protection film XPEL offers. It delivers an industry-leading level of optical clarity — ideal for showing off your car’s curves and custom paint job. XTREME is also backed by one of the best warranties in the business. If the film fails (yellows, cracks, peels, or delaminates) within seven years of professional installation, XPEL will replace it and pay for the cost to remove the old film and put on the new one.

XPEL ARMOR Paint Protection Film When the going gets tough, the tough get XPEL ARMOR paint protection film. XPEL’s thickest and strongest film, ARMOR looks and performs like spray-on bedliner and is designed to resist abrasions and punctures from even the most rugged use. ARMOR is ideal for off-road vehicles and heavy-duty commercial and industrial vehicles.

3M PAINT PROTECTION FILMS
3M is one of the oldest players in the PPF game—because they were the first. 3M filed the first patent for paint protection film, and since then they’ve earned a reputation as one of the best in the industry. 3M paint protection films are the choice of new car manufacturers all over the world, as well as NASCAR.

3M offers fewer PPF choices than XPEL, but they are just as good (or better, depending on who you ask). Here’s a closer look at 3M’s PPF line:

3M VentureShield Paint Protection Film – 3M’s most cost-effective film still features the tough properties that protect your vehicle’s paint from daily wear and tear. And despite being one of the most cost-effective paint protection films on the market, VentureShield maintains its clarity, durability, and superior performance over a wide range of environmental conditions. In fact, VentureShield is guaranteed not to crack with UV or salt spray exposure.

3M Scotchgard Pro Paint Protection Film

3M’s Scotchgard Pro line offers unrivaled scratch and stain resistance with amazing clarity. In fact, Scotchgard Pro PPF is one of the clearest paint protection films in the industry. The film also features self-healing technology that keeps the film (and your car, more importantly) looking new by allowing minor scratches to disappear by themselves. The Pro Series was also designed with the professional installer in mind, which means a quality finished product for you, the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

My local installer swears by Suntek PPF. He did say it's very expensive; but, I'd gander it's on par with 3M/XPEL.

If I recall when we bought our car the dealer offered a similar "paint protection" bundle: bumper top edge, under the door handles etc and they used Suntek as well. Of course their price was probably double or triple what an independent installer would charge; but, that's why they're the "stealership" after all.

Preference may vary region to region and of course from installer to installer. I think the key here is to find a good, reputable installer that will do the necessary prep and finish work to ensure you have long lasting "invisible" protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Suntek ultra is much clearer than xpel and 3M. I recommend it over the others.
      10-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
suby01
United_States
Rep

There are no Suntek installers in my state. And the installer locator shows 0 within 50 miles outside my state.

Theres a very wealthy demographic here and those dealerships that service PPF installs on cars that cost more than my house, they do not even mention Suntek. Makes me think why not, if its so good?
So lets try to keep this thread on topic between 3M and XPEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
The detailer I've been taking to about ppf uses xpel and petty much only xpel ultimate plus- isn't cheap, but looks great.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My installer was certified for both brands. He prefers Xpel because, over time, it maintains it's clarity while he's observed the 3M has more tendency to yellow.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Commerce278.00
      10-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #11
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
My installer was certified for both brands. He prefers Xpel because, over time, it maintains it's clarity while he's observed the 3M has more tendency to yellow.
Came here to say this point exactly. I had Xpel done on the front end + rocker panels. I believe Ultimate Plus has replaced Ultimate entirely.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
suby01
United_States
Rep

After a lot of back and forth between 3M and Xpel. I finally decided on Xpel. It has the new latest and greatest PPF according to a lot of detailers compared to 3M. Went with Xpel ultimate plus for the entire front bottom rocket panels half doors and rear bumper. You cannot see that its even there. Maybe its the Alpine White. But wow. I recommend it for anyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #13
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
I too had my entire front end covered in Xpel Ultimate Plus. Still looks great after 8 months.
      11-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTB View Post
I too had my entire front end covered in Xpel Ultimate Plus. Still looks great after 8 months.
How much did this cost ya?

Past: MY2017 F30 340iXdrive 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
After a lot of back and forth between 3M and Xpel. I finally decided on Xpel. It has the new latest and greatest PPF according to a lot of detailers compared to 3M. Went with Xpel ultimate plus for the entire front bottom rocket panels half doors and rear bumper. You cannot see that its even there. Maybe its the Alpine White. But wow. I recommend it for anyone.
It's the AW. Some colors hide PPF better than others.
      11-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #16
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
How much did this cost ya?
$1,800
      12-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

I had 3M PPF on my M3 and I would probably not get again...yeah it saved some damage but rock strikes also caused unsightly damage to the film and looked worse than a chip would have...plus expensive to repair if I had so chosen...bottom line is the rock will cause costly damage either way.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
suby01
United_States
Rep

I went with Xpel and I love everything about it. Had a scratch on the hood show up. I saw it in the sun reflection while driving. Naturally I was pissed off. I parked the car outside and came back few hours later it was gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #19
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
I went with Xpel and I love everything about it. Had a scratch on the hood show up. I saw it in the sun reflection while driving. Naturally I was pissed off. I parked the car outside and came back few hours later it was gone.
I have 3M Pro ppf and I say it has served me well. Saved me from self-inflicted scratches and stone chips. 12 months in and looks as good as new. Full front (bumper, full hood, front sides, headlights, mirror caps, and A pillars) for 1.5k.
If going with 3M, make sure it's the Pro line. You should get a warranty card stating the product type etc. I would think Expel might be slightly better at a higher price (would have been 2k+) at least in Michigan area. Prices are more competitive in metropolitan areas.

I then ppf'd the doors and rear bumper myself for all in 600 bucks. Now looking to try out the Cquartz Carpro Skin ceramic coating for ppf. So far the reviews are good. For 70ish bucks, it's sounds worthwhile to protect the ppf. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
Squirble
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

My X3 is at the shop now getting Xpel and Cilajet coating. I should have it back Friday.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #21
suby01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
I have 3M Pro ppf and I say it has served me well. Saved me from self-inflicted scratches and stone chips. 12 months in and looks as good as new. Full front (bumper, full hood, front sides, headlights, mirror caps, and A pillars) for 1.5k.
If going with 3M, make sure it's the Pro line. You should get a warranty card stating the product type etc. I would think Expel might be slightly better at a higher price (would have been 2k+) at least in Michigan area. Prices are more competitive in metropolitan areas.

I then ppf'd the doors and rear bumper myself for all in 600 bucks. Now looking to try out the Cquartz Carpro Skin ceramic coating for ppf. So far the reviews are good. For 70ish bucks, it's sounds worthwhile to protect the ppf. We shall see.
Oh Yeah I mean I am only comparing the top of the line PPF's from these two companies.
When I went with XPEL Ultimate Plus it was definitely the most expensive option than 3M PRO.
I called around all of CT and same coverage options with XPEL were at $1K more every single time.
I did want to go with the best so XPEL is the new technology with great marketing I guess, and the film is only as good as the shop that applies it so I did pay premium for that too. But currently 3 months in and not a single .01% complaint.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #22
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Oh Yeah I mean I am only comparing the top of the line PPF's from these two companies.
When I went with XPEL Ultimate Plus it was definitely the most expensive option than 3M PRO.
I called around all of CT and same coverage options with XPEL were at $1K more every single time.
I did want to go with the best so XPEL is the new technology with great marketing I guess, and the film is only as good as the shop that applies it so I did pay premium for that too. But currently 3 months in and not a single .01% complaint.
True that. The shop who is going to do the PPF makes a big difference too. Cheers.
Appreciate 0