BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #23
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Brake fluid flush? Nah.. A paranoid person might do at 50k. Most people never do. I generally do when I change my brake pads.. since I'm there anyway.
Their is no charge for brake fluid flush within 3 years or 36k miles under the free maintenance plan. I always,have them due the fluid change at just under the 3 years when they do the final free oil/filter change. They will also change the cabin filter if you request it at no cost to you
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #24
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRJ View Post
Their is no charge for brake fluid flush within 3 years or 36k miles under the free maintenance plan. I always,have them due the fluid change at just under the 3 years when they do the final free oil/filter change. They will also change the cabin filter if you request it at no cost to you
My dealer changed the cabin air filter at the first 1 year service. I never mentioned it. I think they just did it to bill BMW for the more costly filter and labor. Crazy since my car only had about 4,000 miles on it. I mentioned that the engine air filter would be more important to do instead of the cabin filter, but they said that isn't allowed till the 3rd service.
I think they make this stuff up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:57 AM   #25
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
The reason that brake fluid needs changing occasionally is that it is hygroscopic - so absorbs water.
This water then can boil off when the fluid gets hot in the calipers after heavy braking.
However - it sits in a sealed system - so little chance for fresh, water laden, air to mix with it to allow that water to be absorbed!
Nice little earner for dealers!
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #26
chpnsus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 m40

Brake fluid absorbs water which reduces the boiling point. Also, that water makes its way towards the caliper. Yes, you won't notice anything but years later that caliper can seize. That being said I flush mine on my own every four years. I also use ISTA to open up the abs valves to get it all out.

"Glycol-ether (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1) brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels."
Appreciate 0