BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-27-2019, 04:02 AM   #1
yas9in
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 E83 3.0si

Heavy vibration when accelerating

I started noticing a rather heavy vibration a couple thousand miles back, and it has been progressively getting worse. Mechanic's first diagnosis was the transfer box, but after spending a lot of time on this forum and the internet as a whole, I'm not convinced. The shaking makes the car undrivable at above 50mph and at night I can see the headlights shaking on and off.

-Vibration starts at about 30mph and is worst in the 2500-3000 rpm range
-Stops as soon as I take my foot off the gas
-Is there in all types of gradients, but seems decidedly worse when going uphill
-Gets worse as I increase speed

The 4x4 light doesn't come on, and I don't notice any problems when shifting gears, though I did notice a slight jump when shifting back during a turn. I listened for the clicking sound the transfer box presumably makes after turning the vehicle off, but after several attempts, I have not heard it.

The vibration is felt in the steering wheel as well as the whole car; I can let go of the wheel and watch it move around violently, sometimes the break paddle seems to move as well as I feel it hitting my accelerator foot.

Car has about 100k miles on it. This is the first time I'm trying to diagnose a problem myself, as I understand most mechanics take the approach of replacing various components to see which one fixes the problem, and I'm trying to keep it on the cheap. I read somewhere that issues with the drive shaft can cause this type of shaking as well.

Any advice or help is highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
Vlafronza
Straight6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW E46 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by yas9in View Post
I started noticing a rather heavy vibration a couple thousand miles back, and it has been progressively getting worse. Mechanic's first diagnosis was the transfer box, but after spending a lot of time on this forum and the internet as a whole, I'm not convinced. The shaking makes the car undrivable at above 50mph and at night I can see the headlights shaking on and off.

-Vibration starts at about 30mph and is worst in the 2500-3000 rpm range
-Stops as soon as I take my foot off the gas
-Is there in all types of gradients, but seems decidedly worse when going uphill
-Gets worse as I increase speed

The 4x4 light doesn't come on, and I don't notice any problems when shifting gears, though I did notice a slight jump when shifting back during a turn. I listened for the clicking sound the transfer box presumably makes after turning the vehicle off, but after several attempts, I have not heard it.

The vibration is felt in the steering wheel as well as the whole car; I can let go of the wheel and watch it move around violently, sometimes the break paddle seems to move as well as I feel it hitting my accelerator foot.

Car has about 100k miles on it. This is the first time I'm trying to diagnose a problem myself, as I understand most mechanics take the approach of replacing various components to see which one fixes the problem, and I'm trying to keep it on the cheap. I read somewhere that issues with the drive shaft can cause this type of shaking as well.

Any advice or help is highly appreciated.

Having a similar problem on my mom’s X3 what did it end up being?
E82,E46,3xE30,E28 (sold)
Appreciate 0