BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
caeguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X30i

Remote Start coming?

Hi all -

I went to my Encore appointment today to go over a few items and get the vehicle cleaned. During the conversation, the BMW Genius asked if I had downloaded the BMW Connected app. I said sure...but wish it had the ability to remotely start the vehicle. He said "they are working on it" and he gave me the impression that this may be a feature added in the future.

Anyone else receive similar information or further details? Not sure how real this is and how plugged in the BMW Genius is to new capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
dean285
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post
Hi all -

I went to my Encore appointment today to go over a few items and get the vehicle cleaned. During the conversation, the BMW Genius asked if I had downloaded the BMW Connected app. I said sure...but wish it had the ability to remotely start the vehicle. He said "they are working on it" and he gave me the impression that this may be a feature added in the future.

Anyone else receive similar information or further details? Not sure how real this is and how plugged in the BMW Genius is to new capabilities.
I was told a new app was coming in approx 5 months by the genius at my dealership but wasn't given any details on functionality - the one we have in Canada is quite dated so looking forward to it. Hopefully the info you got on remote start is true!
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Yeah basically you have to electronically simulate depressing the brake and the starter button. It's not like you have to get out and insert the hand crank and twist it like hell (or even turn a key and leave it in a position)!
Appreciate 2
greg2step211.50
JustChris17483.00
      03-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post
He said "they are working on it"
I'd not looked into it in detail as the general description of the Connected app in Australia at least something to the effect of 'cool down car before you go to it' so I presumed it was remote start and using whatever heat/cool settings you had left it at.

I'd also run through a list of dot points of features my last cars had that I wanted to ensure I had and 'remote start / cool car' was a "yup, from the app" from dealer.

Surely if it's available in AU it's available elsewhere or are the connected apps all country specific? My last 4 cars (GM) actually had remote start from the key fob and I use it 6 months of the year to cool the car before I leave the house. You just pressed LOCK then held a dedicated start button for 2 seconds and there it was - no fiddling with your phone.

I'd be adding this to a list of disappointments if it turns out I was told the wrong thing and I need to go out and start the car / leave running unlocked in driveway to get it cooled on a 40 degree day.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #5
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
I'd not looked into it in detail as the general description of the Connected app in Australia at least something to the effect of 'cool down car before you go to it' so I presumed it was remote start and using whatever heat/cool settings you had left it at.

I'd also run through a list of dot points of features my last cars had that I wanted to ensure I had and 'remote start / cool car' was a "yup, from the app" from dealer.

Surely if it's available in AU it's available elsewhere or are the connected apps all country specific? My last 4 cars (GM) actually had remote start from the key fob and I use it 6 months of the year to cool the car before I leave the house. You just pressed LOCK then held a dedicated start button for 2 seconds and there it was - no fiddling with your phone.

I'd be adding this to a list of disappointments if it turns out I was told the wrong thing and I need to go out and start the car / leave running unlocked in driveway to get it cooled on a 40 degree day.
I’m very cynical when it comes to dealer supplied info.
Unless someone can confirm it here, I doubt that it has those functions.
The functionality will depend on the laws in each country.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Oh great, make it even easier for hackers to steal. Keyless entry already the car thief’s friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Your right. It does have to partially simulate the fob being present with the car temporarily during the actual starting of the engine, while preventing the comfort access features, and maintaining all the security lockouts and subsequent brake pedal engine defeat.

A legal hack from BMW.

The Viper remote start added to my Quigley Transit van gave it some of the comfort access and alarm system features of the X3. The Pit Stop Mode where the key is turned to the off position and removed while re-engaging brake pedal engine defeat is a cherished winter feature.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 03-07-2018 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
Your right. It does have to partially simulate the fob being present with the car temporarily during the actual starting of the engine, while preventing the comfort access features, and maintaining all the security lockouts and subsequent brake pedal engine defeat.
Good point. That would have been a good reason for them to just have it as a feature of the normal fob like other (cheaper) cars. This now has me pretty certain that 'remote start / cooling' is going to be on that 'not what I was told / disappointed' list and probably there for a long time. ;(
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

I was excited early-on reading about having "the 5 series interior and electronics package", fully expecting to be able to remote start and remote park. I did notice in the BMW videos that the guy was always standing pretty near the vehicle. Not sure if that remote start actually works from a typical distance.

We also came up short on the power seat calf bolsters and the power steering wheel positioning.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
We also came up short on the power seat calf bolsters and the power steering wheel positioning.
I was under no delusion on those point though. I'm fine for a car to be different from other models (and brands, I think all other competitors have power steering wheel adjustment) or when I neglected to check, it's when I was misled through marketing, dealer info or a change in spec that I have an issue.

Any Hoo....bad karma for BMW but a few years in therapy will get me over it I'm sure. I'd say I'm not going to sweat this one, except...well...that's exactly what's going to happen! (no remote cooling / Australia etc...)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #11
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1312229

the bmw connected app does not have remote start...

cooling off the vehicle from your app is not a remote start function. you will be disappointed. if you think it is going to actually start your engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
cooling off the vehicle from your app is not a remote start function. you will be disappointed. if you think it is going to actually start your engine.
It's not that I'm actually interested in the engine running per see, but assumed that's needed for AC to kick in and actually cool car.

I'll read the link now (thank you) but if you know, what do they mean by 'cool the car'? Does it just 'ventilate'? Ventilate would likely do very little if it's a million degrees inside the car but also 30-40+ outside.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
89alpinem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16'320i,89'M3,08'X3,12'128i

No German car has had factory remote start as it was outlawed by the German government. Recently that has changed and BMW will start making it available, not sure when other then the 5 series and X5
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
It's not that I'm actually interested in the engine running per see, but assumed that's needed for AC to kick in and actually cool car.

I'll read the link now (thank you) but if you know, what do they mean by 'cool the car'? Does it just 'ventilate'? Ventilate would likely do very little if it's a million degrees inside the car but also 30-40+ outside.
yea I was told it will ventilate and flush out hot air and start the ac for a period of time to a comfortable state (sounded a little dealer talk to me)...should at least make some sort of difference. I have yet to play with my connecteddrive yet. will report back once I do. should be next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89alpinem3 View Post
No German car has had factory remote start as it was outlawed by the German government. Recently that has changed and BMW will start making it available, not sure when other then the 5 series and X5
that is what I have read too...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #15
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Mercedes has offered it for some time on all the cars. Why is it taking BMW so long? When did this law change exactly?

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedesme/ind...BoCfhkQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

Quote:
That isn’t true at all. All of my recent Mercedes vehicles have had remote start through the Mercedes Me app, at least in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

When I picked up my Canadian spec M40i they also told me that remote start was coming as an upgrade to the BMW Display Key and the app. Canadian cars are expected to be compatible with the new app in Q3 2018.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I am not a big fan of remote start, but that being said I could find it useful sometimes. My question is - would the remote start be instantaneous with the Connected App? Or will there be a delay like when locking doors, flashing headlights, etc. - since it needs to communicate with a central server and that command is sent from the server. Does your phone need to be next to the car? I'm curious about all of this. I
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 G06 X40i

^^^^BUMP!

Has anyone been able to install a remote start aftermarket? Hopefully without any additional fobs needed for the key ring?

I see it's now offered on the new 3 series (for 2019), so maybe it's a MY2020 upgrade for the X3. If you've had it installed how much did it cost? Any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
I’ve just got rid of my rangerover evoque,their app hadthe same functionality as the BMW 1 plus you could start it ,leaving doors locked you could set the desired temp then just press start .

This app went through the land Rover server so there was a delay and sometimes fail to start , quite disappointed that bmw are behind land Rover.

Regards the law in the uk, it states that it can’t be used on the public highways,so it’s fine on your drive or at work in the carpark,come on BMW keep up
      01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #21
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

I just came from a Mercedes and not only could I start via the app, I could also use Alexa. It was really nice to be on my way to shower in the morning and say 'Alexa, ask Mercedes to start the car'. Alexa would then ask for my pin and once I replied the car would start and run for 10 minutes.
      01-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #22
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drand View Post
I just came from a Mercedes and not only could I start via the app, I could also use Alexa. It was really nice to be on my way to shower in the morning and say 'Alexa, ask Mercedes to start the car'. Alexa would then ask for my pin and once I replied the car would start and run for 10 minutes.
You got me hoping, one day, I can ask Alexa to give me a shower!
Appreciate 0