BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #23
Capt baz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
How are the new tires compared to the continentals?
You didn’t change sizes, just tire brand and model.
I am interested in your experience.

Thanks
Much better ride. I think they are quieter. They are not rocks @ 40 degrees & a lot better in what snow I get in southeast CT.
Appreciate 1
ScullyD5160.50
      01-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #24
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt baz View Post
I just replaced all 4 Conti's with PS4AS's in stock sizes on 1-19-22. I live in CT & my tire guy ordered them 1-17-22. He never mentioned anything about short supplies. Absolutely love them.
I couldn't find 265 anywhere online. So I just ordered 295 for the rears from Tire Rack last week...
So did you go 255 front and 295 rears?
Appreciate 1
RoWoX3M401.00
      01-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #25
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0256 View Post
Yup, sure did. I need it ASAP and could not wait for 265 to come back in stock. It is my DD and mother nature decided it wanted to snow this year, compared to previous years for DC/MD/VA. (Was hoping to ride it out and change Fall '22). I'm getting them installed this Friday.

I was torn between 255/265 and 265/295, but thanks to the Better Tire Mod thread 255/295 were closer to OEM ratio (1.0099:1) at 1.0033:1. Also, 255/295 kept the fronts smaller in diameter then the rears (vs. 265/295).
255/40/21 - 29.0314"
265/40/21 - 29.3464"
295/35/21 - 29.1299"
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #26
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
Quote:
Yup, sure did. I need it ASAP and could not wait for 265 to come back in stock. It is my DD and mother nature decided it wanted to snow this year, compared to previous years for DC/MD/VA. (Was hoping to ride it out and change Fall '22). I'm getting them installed this Friday.

I was torn between 255/265 and 265/295, but thanks to the Better Tire Mod thread 255/295 were closer to OEM ratio (1.0099:1) at 1.0033:1. Also, 255/295 kept the fronts smaller in diameter then the rears (vs. 265/295).
255/40/21 - 29.0314"
265/40/21 - 29.3464"
295/35/21 - 29.1299"
I'm in the same boat. I'll likely just ride it out since we have 2 drivers and 4 cars (M4 and X3M stay inside for the winter!). I'll use the PS4's through summer with hood tread on them and then make the switch. I'm still not 100% sure I want to do the Michelin's vs Pirelli or DWS 06+ as I have had good luck with them on the past. Let us know what you think about that new set up
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:20 PM   #27
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt baz View Post
Much better ride. I think they are quieter. They are not rocks @ 40 degrees & a lot better in what snow I get in southeast CT.
I made this change recently to the AS 4's and they are worlds better than any other tire for this car (i've had contis, PS4s, and Scorpion winters on at various times). Handling is great, there seems to be some give in the tire so you get some small degree of steering feel where there previously was none, and enough traction in all weather conditions. The ride quality is exponentially better and on par with the Scorpion winters.

This is the best tire for the car, and its what they should put on the car stock from the factory.

I'm still on a 2019 iStep version as well, so thats another thing to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #28
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I'll tell him otherwise - the PS AS4 is just as good as the 4S all the way up to 8/10ths in the summer and usable in the winter. Very few owners of this platform actually need the capabilities of the 4S, although there's nothing wrong with having them (I do). I'm considering the AS4 for ride quality reasons alone. Everyone's ownership situation is different.
Having had the Conti's, 4S, and Scorpion winters, i will totally agree with this person's take as well. I'm on the AS4's and the ride quality improvements make the car feel faster because its putting power to the ground rather than fighting the road surface constantly.

If you aren't constantly being jolted by every camber in the road, the car now feels like a performance car and not a mess.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #29
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
I'll tell him otherwise - the PS AS4 is just as good as the 4S all the way up to 8/10ths in the summer and usable in the winter. Very few owners of this platform actually need the capabilities of the 4S, although there's nothing wrong with having them (I do). I'm considering the AS4 for ride quality reasons alone. Everyone's ownership situation is different.
Having had the Conti's, 4S, and Scorpion winters, i will totally agree with this person's take as well. I'm on the AS4's and the ride quality improvements make the car feel faster because its putting power to the ground rather than fighting the road surface constantly.

If you aren't constantly being jolted by every camber in the road, the car now feels like a performance car and not a mess.
Yeah I think that's valid. As I look at Tire Rack I'm thinking whether it is worth the extra $84 per tire to go Michelin. When you factor that in vs wear, etc., how do you think that all breaks down? The Pirelli's rate extremely well vs the Michelin and they are on the Porsche Macan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #30
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I think that's valid. As I look at Tire Rack I'm thinking whether it is worth the extra $84 per tire to go Michelin. When you factor that in vs wear, etc., how do you think that all breaks down? The Pirelli's rate extremely well vs the Michelin and they are on the Porsche Macan
Between which Pirelli and the AS4?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:17 PM   #31
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Between which Pirelli and the AS4?
Yes, sorry, I should have said that
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 07:53 AM   #32
Rockpig
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I couldn't find any PSAS4 on any websites of nearby stores. So I just walk into a Discount Tire and asked them to order a set for me. Only took a week to arrive. The websites are not very well kept up with inventory status so don't believe it 100%. Doesn't hurt to talk to a real live person once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #33
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

FYI I just ordered Michelin Pilot AS4's from Costco an hour ago:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #34
M3ZCP4ME
Rep
Drives: F97 LCI, E46 M3 LCI

Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in
After calling around and having no luck with finding 265s I did the same and had my go to place order the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #35
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in
Did they give you any hasell because it is not the stock size?

I remember trying to get replacement 20"s for my truck and they wouldn't sell it to me because it came with 18"s OEM. Guys were real jerks about it and I heard them making a stink behind closed doors like I was trying to steal them or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I made this change recently to the AS 4's and they are worlds better than any other tire for this car (i've had contis, PS4s, and Scorpion winters on at various times). Handling is great, there seems to be some give in the tire so you get some small degree of steering feel where there previously was none, and enough traction in all weather conditions. The ride quality is exponentially better and on par with the Scorpion winters.

This is the best tire for the car, and its what they should put on the car stock from the factory.

I'm still on a 2019 iStep version as well, so thats another thing to keep in mind.
I'm curious if you feel they handle better than the PS4S? It's hard to believe that an all season tire would outperform a max summer performance (from the same manufacturer) in handling. Ride, longevity, comfort, sure, but handling?

I've got the contis and a set of Scorpion Winters as there was no all season available at the time. If there were I likely would have gone that route and saved a bunch of money.

Since we have a blizzard today I think I need to get my money's worth out of the Scorpions and get on the road
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #37
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:

I'm curious if you feel they handle better than the PS4S? It's hard to believe that an all season tire would outperform a max summer performance (from the same manufacturer) in handling. Ride, longevity, comfort, sure, but handling?

I've got the contis and a set of Scorpion Winters as there was no all season available at the time. If there were I likely would have gone that route and saved a bunch of money.

Since we have a blizzard today I think I need to get my money's worth out of the Scorpions and get on the road
I think it handles better on the AS4's than the PS4's and Conti's, because there is more compliance to the ride and a better sense of lack of grip. So you drive the car faster and have more confidence cause you have some feel as to what the tires are doing. The AS4s just fit the car better and it's what they should have come on from the factory. If so, people wouldn't have been ditching their cars en masse.

I'm definitely not going back to the summers ever again.

If you are tracking your car or doing regular street racing 1/4 mile, then all means, you probably want to have summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #38
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it handles better on the AS4's than the PS4's and Conti's, because there is more compliance to the ride and a better sense of lack of grip. So you drive the car faster and have more confidence cause you have some feel as to what the tires are doing. The AS4s just fit the car better and it's what they should have come on from the factory. If so, people wouldn't have been ditching their cars en masse.

If you are tracking your car or doing regular street racing 1/4 mile, then all means, you probably want to have summer tires.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is really surprising. I have not read anyone state the AS performs better than the PS in dry handling.

I'll have some thinking to do when my contis wear out. I will still run my winters but this is intriguing.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #39
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

If we're talking numbers, like track times and skid pad, the AS tire will not beat the PS4S. However, they could inspire more driving confidence, which makes you "feel" faster when pushing it through corners. Tires can be very subjective based on the drivers preferences and we know that the F97 platform is very sensitive to tires. It comes down to what you want out of the car...there seems to be a growing number of people that are willing to sacrifice performance at the limit for more comfort and durability.
Appreciate 1
KodiakEd227.00
      01-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #40
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in

I remember trying to get replacement 20"s for my truck and they wouldn't sell it to me because it came with 18"s OEM. Guys were real jerks about it and I heard them making a stink behind closed doors like I was trying to steal them or something.
Yeah they have to be within 3% of the OEM diameter. It's crazy. I had to mansplain to the guy why it was within 3% and then I had to argue with him since I was in my snow shoveling gear and he insisted I had an M40i and not an X3M🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏼*♂️
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #41
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in

Yeah they have to be within 3% of the OEM diameter. It's crazy. I had to mansplain to the guy why it was within 3% and then I had to argue with him since I was in my snow shoveling gear and he insisted I had an M40i and not an X3M🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏼*♂️
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in

I love Costco but I'm not at all happy with the people they have working in the tire shop. I would rather pay more money for a knowledgeable place to install - even if I buy from Costco and install is included.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #42
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

255/40R21
295/35R21

$1565 all in

I love Costco but I'm not at all happy with the people they have working in the tire shop. I would rather pay more money for a knowledgeable place to install - even if I buy from Costco and install is included.
Yeah they are asshats. If you have even an incline what you are talking about with your car they flounder immediately when they are wrong and you challenge them
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:00 PM   #43
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
I guess am lucky the headquarters of Tire Rack is only 15 minutes from my house. I go there for all of my tires and they have never once hassled me about sizes, or anything else for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #44
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGuy_KCCO View Post
I guess am lucky the headquarters of Tire Rack is only 15 minutes from my house. I go there for all of my tires and they have never once hassled me about sizes, or anything else for that matter.
That's awesome! They are still on BO until April 4th for the 265/40R21's.

Costco called and my order came in today. Ordered this past Friday

255/40R21 F
295/35R21 R
Appreciate 0