BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
vrCavu
Rep
Drives: '15 x3 28d

28d Check engine Extended Warranty

Hi crew,
First post here but I'm bummed. Check engine light came on wife's 2105 x3 28d so I ran ISTA and found TSB 10184567 for my fault code "24C000 zero-quantity adaptation injector cylinder 4: permitted filtered actuation duration
correction too high."

So BMW offers an extended warranty for this very same N47T engine on the F30 and F31 so I thought it would be a slam dunk by taking it to the dealer (came up with the same code as I did for $170) and having it fixed but it isn't. It'll be $2 grand. I opened a case with corporate and they came back to me a week later (today) and said that because "I have declined service at the dealer previously, they will not extend any service compensation to cover this particular issue" So because I don't drive 2 hours for a dealer oil change they won't cover it!?!? Does anyone have any idea what I should do, can do?

Thanks for letting me rant and for any ideas you might have.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Sorry for your troubles but somehow I don't think we're getting the full story.

What "declined services" would have to do with an extended warranty? I never take our X3d to the dealer EXCEPT for warranty or recall items, and I do mostly all my own maintenance.

Fuel injectors on common rail diesels are quite finicky and sensitive. I've had the one error from one injector months back and after a quick reset, it never came back.

Might I suggest a good fuel system cleaner, a new fuel filter (if it hasn't been done in the last 40k miles) and some fresh fuel from a high-volume station such as a truck stop?

There are other BMW dealers you could try as well, if the issue persists.
      10-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
vrCavu
Rep

Thanks for the reply. That's fair, here's more info. When the dealer let us know the code wasn't covered on our vehicle under the warranty extension I called BMW North America and opened a case. My case manager indicated that BMWNA may cover some, none of it or all of the repair but based on the information I provided it seemed very straightforward. He then worked with the dealer and his higher ups to see what could be arranged. They called this, I believe, "customer assistance" but no guarantees, still I felt like this was easy because it's the same issue on the same engine with the same code. Yesterday they returned their verdict, "ran it up the ladder as high as it could go" he said, then "because you declined service at this particular dealership in the past, they don't believe it is in their best interest to provide any assistance for this issue". Basically it's a bad investment to extend any grace here because I've not done regular maintenance there. I did take it for a small dent but just decided to live with it vs repair it. The dealer did fix the smoldering intake recall (which I would suspect could cause some injector issues) a bad backup camera (warranty) and a moonroof (warranty). My '15 has just over 50k miles on it.

In the meantime I'll do some of those things. I'll run some techron through and reset the code with ISTA. We only get the diesel from local truck stops/high volume yes.

Is a fuel filter difficult to do? My local person said that work on the fuel system isn't something he'd do because it's under high pressure. Along the same line if the code comes back, can I DIY an injector replacement?

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
It sounds like you need to try a different dealer. Bottom line is if the extended warranty includes your VIN, then you're covered by BMW despite what the local service manager might say.

I would reset the code(s), run some concentrated fuel system cleaner (I prefer LiquiMoly products you can get at NAPA, for example) and do the fuel filter. It takes about 45 minutes start-to-finish and most of that is taking the undertray off the driver's side and putting it back on.

The fuel filter line is low pressure, there will only be slight leaking as you remove the hoses off the filter. Mind the direction the arrow is pointing on the filter (towards front of car) to ensure you install new filter correctly.

If you have ISTA, you may be able to run the pump to prime the new filter before starting it up, otherwise it will start up but quickly cough and die, prompting you to engage the starter for an extended crank until it sputters back to life. Some say this hurts your HPFP. Apparently there's an extended warranty for that item now too...

And yes, you can replace injectors if needed. I would switch subforums though, going to the diesel side (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=488) to future threads and info. A lot of info already there and knowledgeable folks who are happy to help.

What general area of WI are you in?
      10-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
vrCavu
Rep

Dealers won’t budge. VIN not covered even though they expanded the warranty coverage on the 3 series D with same engine.

Changed the filter over the weekend and reset the codes.

This stuff?
Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge Injection Cleaner (500 ml) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KGID68S

Will do injectors I guess it the code keeps coming back.

Eastern WI
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
vrCavu
Rep

Or this
LIQUI MOLY Truck Series Complete Diesel System Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079F5FFXN

Just in the fuel tank yes?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
The Diesel Purge is pretty concentrated stuff and is actually meant to be run straight from the can. In diesels with their fuel filter under the hood, you typically disconnect the feed line from the filter and the return line and stick them both in the can of LM DP.

Can't do that on the BMW since the filter is under the car. The next best thing is to dump a couple cans in the tank and add a splash of fuel, so as not to dilute the mix too much. Diesel Purge is good stuff, I'd use with confidence, just not too often and preferably before an oil change (helps avoid fuel dilution in your brand new oil).

The Truck Series is good stuff too, just newer; you can use with confidence as well. You want a concentrated dose in the tank since the fuel will dilute it.

FWIW, I've had an injector error issue cause a CEL once in 2 years of ownership. A simple reset and it never came back. If it ever starts acting up regularly, a new injector is relatively simple to swap in.

Common rail diesels run extremely high injection pressures and their injectors are very sophisticated devices; anything that even remotely interferes with the injection cycle can cause a warning light. That's why fuel quality and never running the tank below 1/4 is important to both the HPFP and individual injectors.
      10-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
vrCavu
Rep

Thanks again for the education. I am proceeding with the steps you outlined and hoping this issue will be resolved. Appreciate your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #9
Newgene
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d & 2018 X5 xDrive35d

What was the final fix?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:14 AM   #10
vrCavu
Rep

The liquimoly seemed to help and I continue to put that in every few fillups, however we had complied with the second recall for the EGR cooler. The first time it was in really bad shape. So did the first, had these issues posted in this thread, did the second about 6 months ago, then my downstream O2 needed to be replaced (not surprising), which was only a few weeks ago. Car still has under 65k. I'm not happy with the car. Wife loves it but the checkengine light has been on more days than off.
Appreciate 2
POBEP361.00
ch4ch6.50
      09-29-2023, 12:24 AM   #11
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrCavu View Post
The liquimoly seemed to help and I continue to put that in every few fillups, however we had complied with the second recall for the EGR cooler. The first time it was in really bad shape. So did the first, had these issues posted in this thread, did the second about 6 months ago, then my downstream O2 needed to be replaced (not surprising), which was only a few weeks ago. Car still has under 65k. I'm not happy with the car. Wife loves it but the checkengine light has been on more days than off.
vrCavu - take it back to BMW dealer.
F25 28d has been added to SIB 01 09 19 on June 2022, see https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30717-9999.pdf

I am going to take mine for #2 injector replacement in 2 weeks.

If you happens already pay for repair - submit a reimbursement claim at http://bmw-rp.com/