BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Audioquest Jitterbug USB Conditioner on X3

I guess it was all in my head......just a bad dream.
Attached Images

Last edited by Radioactive; 12-06-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

I design chips that have USB interfaces. I am in charge of the signal integrity team that analyzes the signal quality of signalling and power in and out of devices. I don't know how to say this nicely but I can tell you with some level of certainty that this device does nothing. USB is not like the old analog signal days, it is digital. It transmits ones and zeros. The receiving end gets it or it doesn't. A standard USB connection is very unlikely to have bit errors unless you are trying to go extended distances over long cables. If you are getting errors, then you would likely be hearing your music cut in and out rather than change how it sounds. You would be having other issues as well. In that scenario (very long cables and bit errors with music cutting in / out), this device might help but under normal circumstances it will do nothing.

Sorry... Not trying to be a troll here.

JP

*EDIT* BTW, I read a review that was trying to argue that the timing is distorted (phase relationship of the data). I can tell you that the phase error is extremely small by audio levels and is resampled on the other side to remove phase errors. So, this argument is also not true. Audio is in the kHz, this runs at GHz (it is 1 million times faster). Any phase error in that (even if the resamples were not removing that error) would not be audible.

Here is a trick. Do a test... Get your friend to randomly put it in or take it out 20 times without telling you and you listen to the audio and tell him if it is plugged in or not. If you can get it right more than 15 times, then you would have proven me wrong (I still won't believe you but you should believe it yourself).

Last edited by jponline77; 12-06-2015 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 1