BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #89
titsataki
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3,2013 135is convertible

The rotor was the culprit. it was not sitting fully even though I had tighten the retaining screw. I removed the rotor clean up the inside and the axle contact surface , carefully I reseated the rotor and all was good. I was like WTF.

yes i have the piston and rotor in and looks fine but the "accordion" like gasket will not stick to the piston groove. I saw the kits for like a few dollars maybe around $25. I have to take the caliper apart and see how to remove the gasket. I think after many tries I messed it up.

the new caliper is coming from the BMW dealer so i will put it in and be done.

the wear sensor i rerouted manually and it is fine now. all is set pads/rotors for both rear. waiting the caliper.

what you said got me thinking. tomorrow I will look at the front pads.
who knows they may be on the way out.

I will post more pics later this week.

yes indeed I learned my lesson :-)

regards

Nick
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #90
titsataki
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3,2013 135is convertible

so to follow up. the caliper is installed.
I did not use any Loctite attaching the brake line (soft). lets see if it seeps.
I got he motive power bleeder as well i used quite a bit of fluid (I had a gallon of BMW fluid). car stops but the pedal is going almost to he floor.

my ideas:

the master cylinder has a pocket of fluid? How to bleed?
the ABS/DSC has a pocket of air. I have downloaded INSTA but unable to get it to connect.
I have this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/Taotao-FT232R.../dp/B07L498NGZ

Also have version 4.20 of insta but no cigar connecting to the car to do the ABS service thing/bleeding sequence

I had software to code the X3 and used it in an old laptop but it is long gone..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #91
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by titsataki View Post
so to follow up. the caliper is installed.
I did not use any Loctite attaching the brake line (soft). lets see if it seeps.
I got he motive power bleeder as well i used quite a bit of fluid (I had a gallon of BMW fluid). car stops but the pedal is going almost to he floor.

my ideas:

the master cylinder has a pocket of fluid? How to bleed?
the ABS/DSC has a pocket of air. I have downloaded INSTA but unable to get it to connect.
I have this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/Taotao-FT232R.../dp/B07L498NGZ

Also have version 4.20 of insta but no cigar connecting to the car to do the ABS service thing/bleeding sequence

I had software to code the X3 and used it in an old laptop but it is long gone..
Never use loctite on brake line fittings to try to get them not to leak. If it leaks, something is deformed or it's not tight enough.

Have you followed the instructions in the ista+ guide to configure the ethernet settings? The INSTA ones are wrong
If you lost a lot of fluid, you probably got air in the ABS unit therefore will need to put it in bleed mode and use the power bleeder to push the air out.

If you ever remove a brake line/hose/caliper, plug up the line so fluid doesn't continue to run out, you'll save yourself some headaches
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GUIDE TO ISTA+.pdf (2.36 MB, 86 views)

Last edited by pungo; 08-22-2021 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #92
JiiBee
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 07:28 PM   #93
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Did my F25 35d rear pads today.

Please remember the inner and outer rear pads on the 35d are different shapes. Both have the slot for the sensor but they are different shaped pads with a different backing plate. I found this very odd, never seen this before.

Installing it incorrectly causes premature wear.

Last edited by bmwPower99; 03-16-2024 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0