BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #1
Dim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M

BimmerCode: Adjusting Instrument Cluster after Tinting Windows

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Is it Dim_Variable under expert mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Its not needed in the 22 models, For the gauge cluster going to have to search, Dim_variable seems right, set brightness up.

But the following is available:

For the idrive screen;

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
Dim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Its not needed in the 22 models, For the gauge cluster going to have to search, Dim_variable seems right, set brightness up.

But the following is available:

For the idrive screen;

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,
You're the man.

In terms of this setting, is this for the display or instrument cluster itself? Or both?

The center display is ok, just instrumental cluster dims at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #4
Dim
Private First Class
Rep

I also noticed on bimmercode I couldn't change lighting. Not sure if this a 2022 thing and we are just pending updates.

I had just changed my brothers m340 bronze default to pink.

Is the only way expert mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:18 PM   #5
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim View Post
I also noticed on bimmercode I couldn't change lighting. Not sure if this a 2022 thing and we are just pending updates.

I had just changed my brothers m340 bronze default to pink.

Is the only way expert mode?
Unfortunately the 22's are having coding issues with bimmercode shortcuts, you'll have to dig around expert mode to find things, and even further with E-sys. I havent fully taken a deep dive but there are coders I think that can help for a small fee.
Appreciate 1
Dim108.50
      02-11-2022, 07:30 AM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
You're the man.

In terms of this setting, is this for the display or instrument cluster itself? Or both?

Just the center display (control screen).

I am not aware if anyway to resolve the dimming in the gauge cluster other than mounting an LED to shine on the sensor (which I saw one poster do leveraging a book reading light).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #7
Dim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:
You're the man.

Just the center display (control screen).

I am not aware if anyway to resolve the dimming in the gauge cluster other than mounting an LED to shine on the sensor (which I saw one poster do leveraging a book reading light).
Thanks for confirming. For what it's worth took the car out for a spin to my CPA, I had the sunshade back and it felt like normal.

It seems like when the sun his hitting at a certain angle, it dims - but other than that it's just as normal and livable. Must have just been the lighting when I left tint shop at the time.

I would still like some form of adjustability - got a message out to Bimmertech to see if this is something they could help with.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #8
Dim
Private First Class
Rep

Bimmertech can't help for this, or even coding in ambient lighting. Guess we'll wait a little while. Have sort of gotten used to it already.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. For what it's worth took the car out for a spin to my CPA, I had the sunshade back and it felt like normal.

It seems like when the sun his hitting at a certain angle, it dims - but other than that it's just as normal and livable. Must have just been the lighting when I left tint shop at the time.

I would still like some form of adjustability - got a message out to Bimmertech to see if this is something they could help with.
It may have improved on the LCI. On my 2020, the control screen was so dark I could hardly make it out at times. Very dangerous situation for backing up.

The cluster was more of an annoyance - nothing critical there I need to see (other than I am driving too fast) .

Once I changed in BimmerCode it was amazing what a difference it made in usability. Granted, at night time the control screen was almost too bright initially, but I have adjusted to it and now like it.
Appreciate 1
Dim108.50
      02-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #10
Dim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It may have improved on the LCI. On my 2020, the control screen was so dark I could hardly make it out at times. Very dangerous situation for backing up.

The cluster was more of an annoyance - nothing critical there I need to see (other than I am driving too fast) .

Once I changed in BimmerCode it was amazing what a difference it made in usability. Granted, at night time the control screen was almost too bright initially, but I have adjusted to it and now like it.
Nice. I'll play around with it as I get more comfortable.

I set the screen brightness as a preset '2' on my car for quick access. I play music videos sometimes and at night - some vids are too bright, provides that quick access to adjust on the fly rather than scrolling through menus.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 09:11 AM   #11
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I set the screen brightness as a preset '2' on my car for quick access. I play music videos sometimes and at night - some vids are too bright, provides that quick access to adjust on the fly rather than scrolling through menus.
Excellent idea!
Appreciate 1
Dim108.50
      02-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #12
Dim
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent idea!
Got you! I had an X7 rental and couldn't save a preset for my life. I realize - for example if you go to car menu with the options for lighting, ambient light etc… highlight the feature you want to save, don't select it/go into the screen brightness page itself.

Just highlight and hold the number you want to save to.

So far I have ambient lighting on 1, screen brightness on 2.
Appreciate 0