BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Alternator Voltage

I was keeping my eye on my coolant/oil temps, for a separate issue,through the unlocked OBC built into the car and I decided to take a look at my voltage info. With the car warming up, it was between 14.3-15.0 volts. It remained the same with driving for 30 minutes including freeway and street driving. I only had my fan on the lowest setting with no ac. I had ASS turned off and the voltage remained the same.

I decided to look up online to see what the normal voltage is for these cars because this seems excessively high. I didn't get any clear answers but found 1 post from several years ago with somebody posting the same range of voltage on their F25 35i but nobody replied to the post.

In the 3 years I have owned it, I have not ever experienced a battery/alternator issue and am at 97k miles. Car starts immediately and lights do not dim and I do not experience any electrical issues.

Can anyone look at their voltage range on their F25 and let me know where it is at? Need to know if my voltage is normal or a problem. Thanks!

Edit: Battery is BMW battery. I have never replaced the battery on the car.

Last edited by Bdavi011; 10-26-2021 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Energy management will control the voltage. Can range between 14.0 & 15.5V Typically we will be seeing around 14.3V in typical running and higher voltage on the overrun, ~14.7V

Voltage will also depend on battery State of Charge and State of Health. You may find it more stable if you give it a maintenance charge, using a battery tender, something like a CTEK.
Appreciate 0