BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #45
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I just checked my mirror caps and luckily the PPF is separate from the cap vs. the rest.

Question, what made you go with R44 vs. Autotechnic?

I have hear mixed reviews on the Autotechnic so curious if that factored into your decision.
I've heard the same about AT. The other products I have from them are really nice but I came across R44 and really liked their product offers. They were cheaper too so I gave it a shot. Really pleased with the end result
      05-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #46
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

My KW v3 Coilover Impressions

It's been roughly two weeks now since I installed KW V3 coilovers on my X3M. I wanted to give myself enough seat time to get used to the ride before giving any impressions on them.

A little background, I've had my fair share of lowered cars. On springs, height adjustable springs and JDM coilovers (BC, Tein, etc). The KW V3's are by far the best that I've experienced. My goal with the X3M was to lower it as much as I possibly could. This was my first SUV/SAV and I cannot stand how high they sit off the ground. The stock suspension is quite good in terms of comfort and handling but the wheel well gap bugs the hell out of me lol. So with the very limited options on this platform that landed me with the KW's.

Ride Height:
To achieve my ride height, I set the front struts to show roughly 0.75" worth of threads from max low and roughly 1.75" in the rear. The stance is nearly perfect. It looks aggressive as hell and currently does not rub at all. I may push my luck and see if I can go a touch lower, just to the very top of the tire. There is a ton of unnecessary and useless plastic that can be trimmed out of the fender-wells to ensure no rubbing so I may end up giving that a go.

Damping Adjustments:
The roads around me are incredibly shit so take this part into consideration in comparison to where you live. I can almost guarantee my damping adjustments wont apply to someone in FL with nice and smooth roads.

The V3's have two way adjustments, Rebound and Bump. These took me a little while to dial in and if I'm being honest I still don't think I'll keep these where they are but they are like 85% of the way there. The best way I can describe it is; Bump/Compression- The amount of force applied to compress the strut. Rebound- The amount of force applied to extend the strut back out after compressing.

"Clicks from open" means going to full stiff and dialing it back X number of clicks.

KW Recommends:
Front Axle- Rebound 9 clicks open / Bump 5 clicks open
Rear Axle - Rebound 6 clicks open / Bump 5 clicks open

For the time being I kept the same F:R ratio except went a little softer on each.

I'm running:
Front Axle- Rebound 13 clicks open / Bump 7 clicks open
Rear Axle - Rebound 9 clicks open / Bump 7 clicks open

These have felt really good for me in terms of comfort and maintaining tight handling. I did not want to sacrifice one or the other and I don't think this setup does. These will likely change as I'm always looking for improvements but it's a safe starting point for anyone interested.

Comfort & Handling:
In terms of comfort I think of two things; 1) How well does it do absorbing rough roads and 2) how well does it rebound from those bumps. If I had to quantify these two, I would say;
- 1) it absorbs bumps just as good as the OE competition suspension, maybe 5-10% better, even at the ride height that I'm currently at. I'm sure it would be a little softer if you don't go this low.
- 2) it rebounds 20-25% better than the OE competition suspension. I found the damping and rebound on the stock suspension can be very bouncy and rough at times. This is not like that. It is a very pronounced up, down and settle. I'm sure this can be improved even more with fine tuning the rebound adjustment further. I'm not an expert so I'm taking this solely based on what I've felt along the way.

The handling on the OE competition suspension was already very good. It's hard to keep tight characteristics on this size of vehicle but BMW did a great job with that. However, it did get that much better. The car feels incredibly direct and connected. It's like a point and shoot type of feeling anytime I want to enjoy a spirited drive, regardless of the iDrive steering settings. The car feels like it's magnetized to the ground. The body roll is virtually non existent now and corners can be taking with confidence. I truly didn't expect this vehicle to turn out to be this good. Like I said this is my first SUV and my impressions of them have always been sub par in this category. Some of this has to do with the engineering behind the platform in general but KW nailed whatever they did.

I've also experienced MSS springs and while they are quite good, don't get me wrong, they just aren't in this league. I think the damping control really set the KW apart. If all you want is comfort with a little lowering than MSS definitely makes sense but for those that want more and want to get the most of the suspension, handling and height; KW all the way.

I'll circle back and reserve the next post for an update after say 3k-5k miles but thus far I am incredibly pleased.

Enjoy a few photos!

Last edited by BrockDM; 05-04-2022 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 4
bear1m87.00
TonySD60.00
leorod_rn222.50
      05-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #47
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
I've heard the same about AT. The other products I have from them are really nice but I came across R44 and really liked their product offers. They were cheaper too so I gave it a shot. Really pleased with the end result
Thanks for the info - I think these are next on my list
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #48
Keefy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Over the weekend I added a few more small detail items which really ties the car together IMO.

- R44 Carbon Mirror caps
I was a little hesitant on these since I haven't heard of R44 before this platform. After a little digging around their products seem to be nice quality so I bit the bullet. Super happy with how these turned out. The weave is perfect, nice rigid quality and the fitment was spot on. I added a few coats of CarPro DLUX to help prevent any clear coat yellowing but really pleased with this. Will have more install photos soon.

- JB Speed Carbon Fiber Roundels
This was another one I was a little hesitant on. After getting them in hand they are solid quality and fitment was spot on. I wanted to try something a little different and while the IND roundels are very nice I didn't want to spend that much money. These were roughly half the cost and I have 0 complaints. I also hit these with CarPro DLUX for a little extra UV protection.

- Alpine White V Brace
I was torn on what color to do the V brace so my starting choice was matching the Alpine White. I ordered High Gloss White from VVIVID which is almost spot on. It's nearly indistinguishable from AW when it's behind the grill. I don't think it's an absolute perfect match so I wouldn't try to match reflectors or anything else that sits right next to paint but it handles my needs perfectly.

I cut the film to roughly 14"x3.5" strips. This allowed me to slightly over lap the first layer so make sure you choose the appropriate starting point so the seam isn't directly on the front. My starting point was closest to the ground which resulted in the overlap being on the backside of the bar out of sight.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YLFQ7W0...roduct_details

Amazing write up and stunning car. May I ask where you sourced the carbon fibre hood and truck emblems?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #49
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Amazing write up and stunning car. May I ask where you sourced the carbon fibre hood and truck emblems?
Thank you! I purchased them here: https://www.jbspeed.com/bmw-black-ca...5-x5m-f97-x3m/
      05-04-2022, 03:54 PM   #50
Keefy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the link it’s much appreciated. Are they 82mm front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 04:05 PM   #51
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
Thanks for the link it’s much appreciated. Are they 82mm front and rear?
Correct, both are 82mm with centering pins
      05-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #52
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Over the weekend I filmed a short video of the X3M before the stock wheels came off.

Just wanted to share

05-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #53
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

F80 Paul (Paul Johnson) Stage 1 E60 ECU Tune

As I previously stated, the whole reason I got this vehicle was for the tuning potential. The S58 is a monster when you add a little more boost, timing and ethanol. I did a lot of research on tuners for this platform and even a few other M platforms and F80 Paul continued to pop up.

Tuning Process:
All tuning is handled through BM3. If you already have the license, you will need to purchase the tune at pauljohnsontunes.com and then within the BM3 app, request a custom tune from them.

Before flashing the first time, I ensured to gap down my stock spark plugs to .022 as recommended by Paul. There are a lot of docs out there and it's very easy to do. This is essentially the only requirement to run this file.

I started tuning with him on 4/24/2022 and just wrapped up my final revision on 5/10/2022. Now, that may seem like a long time but my work life makes it challenging to log during the day, the crappy IL weather delays things as well and so does everyday life. We ran through maybe a dozen revisions and adjustments along the way. That may seem like a lot to some but my DA can change drastically so I made the personal decision to send more logs on hot and cold days to ensure we can fine tune as much as we possibly can. After the standard 3-4th gear pulls I wanted him to review my 1/4 mile and launching logs as well to make sure everything was in check. I go to the drag strip regularly so this was a big priority.

My situation might not be the same as everyone else. Most of the time you will likely go through 5-7 revisions and be good to go but I wanted to take the extra step to really dial it in for my uses case.

Communications:
Paul and Nicholas were awesome to work with. They reviewed logs before noon CST every day and I had revisions within 12 hours. The communication was on point, the tune felt incredible every step of the way and I didn't encounter any issues what so ever. From past experiences with different tuners on different platforms, a lot of them like to keep the info and details to themselves. They don't tell you want is being changed or what needs improving and just send you a new file and say "try this". That is not the case here. Nicholas and Paul gave great detail on how each log looked, what areas they were improving and even gave feedback on 1/4 mile and 60-130mph Dragy data in comparison to what they see from other customers. If you are a guy like me that wants to know the finer details, they will surely provide and answer any questions you have.

Driving Impressions:
The daily drivability of this tune feels awesome. After a little seat time and adaptation learning it's very smooth and seamless. Most wouldn't be able to tell a difference from an OEM car until you push your foot to the floor. A lot of people mistaken high HP vehicles to be undrivable at slow speeds or in traffic etc which can be the case for some but certainly does not apply here. I have 0 complaints on the drivability.

Since ethanol burns at a much faster rate than gasoline and the fuel system is ramped up to move even more of it, yes your MPG will take a hit. On BM3 OTS 93 I was averaging 14-15mpg around the city. I live in a city with a lot of stop and go and very little highway 50mph cruise zones. On E60, with the same driving style I average roughly 10-11mpg. It's not a huge hit but lets be honest, you don't get an X3M if you want high miles per gallon, you get it for the smiles per gallon lol.

All said and done, I highly highly recommend F80Paul for S58 tuning. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Now... for the good stuff

I recorded over a dozen 60-130 times to use and compare each file. Granted, DA changes and some comparisons aren't truly accurate but with a little knowledge you can still get a general understanding for how the car is performing at a given DA. I log and Dragy on the same exact road, at the same exact starting point every single time to try and keep the control as consistent as possible.

The first slip is on the base E60 file, each slip following it was a revision. For the sake of this thread I wont upload them all but you can clearly see the progression in power. Keep in mind the DA does change so just because a time might get slightly slower, it's likely due to the increasing DA. The very last slip was from this past weekend at Great Lakes Dragaway. LOOK AT THAT DA!

I knew these cars would get fast but I never expected to be running mid to low 7s 60-130s in the middle of summer with no additional cooling... I am beyond satisfied with the performance of this car.

Here are a few more metrics from my fastest recorded Dragy runs. I'm still getting used to launching this car so I have no doubts I'll be able to improve upon them. It's very obvious in the 60' that this car will go low 10s if I can get the launch dialed into the 1.6s

That wraps it up for this post. I will continue to update my build thread as the car goes faster. I just got back from the track so I'll have another post about that too. Happy days!
      05-16-2022, 09:42 AM   #54
R44 Performance
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Part of the process%E2%80%A6

Quote:
Hello all!

I decided to create a build log / photo log for my X3MC. I did this in the past with my Audi B9 S4 which I took up to 600HP with a hybrid turbo, Brembo BBK and many sets of wheels. I've noticed most build threads on here are of finished products but this one will be progression through the life of the car.

I purchased the car 3 weeks ago with 7k miles on it. It was a BMW corporate car so technically I am the first owner! I plan to update this regularly with photos and modifications done.

To start off, this is the spec

2020 BMW X3M Competition
- Alpine White
- Sakhir Orange Interior

OE Options:
- M Competition Package
- Driving Assistance Plus
- Executive Package
- Front ventilated seats
- Adaptive full LED lights
- Carbon fiber trim
- Panoramic moonroof

Current Mods:
Cosmetic
- 20% Xpel XR Ceramic tint on front windows and 45% windshield
- Evolve Billet Paddle Shifters in Tungsten
- AutoTecknic Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim Link to post
- JBSpeed Carbon Fiber Roundels Link to post
- R44 Performance Carbon Mirror Caps Link to post
- Alpine White V Brace Link to post

Performance
- Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 Link to post
- F80 Paul Stage 1 E60 Link to post

Suspension
- KW V3 Coilovers Link to post

Wheels/Tires
- MRG 82mm Titanium Stud Conversion Link to post
- Dinan 15mm Spacers Link to post

Day 1 Photos:

Stunning spec there! Really love the little touches you've done around the car
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #55
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R44Zach View Post
Stunning spec there! Really love the little touches you've done around the car
Thanks Zach! I can see a few more R44 bits in it's future
      05-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #56
///minh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Garage List
Beautiful right and sweet mods. For the emblems, did you used tape to secure it or you just popped it in with the two pins?
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #57
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///minh View Post
Beautiful right and sweet mods. For the emblems, did you used tape to secure it or you just popped it in with the two pins?
I did add a little 3M tape to the back side to ensure it was secure. The pins do a good job themselves but they could be easily pulled off.
      05-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #58
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

First track day in the books!

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend a private track rental at Great Lakes Dragaway hosted by Immigrant Racing League and The Chicago Garage.

Mother Nature was not on our sides and provided toasty temps of 80-85F with a DA of roughly 2600-2800 throughout the day. Not really ideal...

My current setup:
- F80 Paul Stage 1 E60
- RK Tunes front mount intakes
- 21' BC Forged RZ01's with 265/295 Michelin PS4S
- Passenger and rear seats pulled out
(Passenger seat: 56lbs)
(Rear seat backs: 55lbs)
(Rear bench cushion: 14lbs)
(Jack/tools/spare: TBD)

My first few runs I needed to feel out the car. The track was very hot and greasy, the prep was meh.

On my initial pass I immediately pushed through the brakes when getting on launch control so I scrapped that run. My tire pressure was roughly 36F & 38R. The car was too gripped up and before I even got to 2000 RPM it was moving over the line. So I upped the tire pressure. I went to 40F & 39R.

Next few runs went much better as you can see on the slips below. The left lane seemed to hold much better than the right so that's what I stuck with most of the day. I adjusted tire pressure one more time since I did not spin and came to my final combo of 43R & 40R which managed to cut me the best 60' of the day.

A lot of people think that you must drop tire pressure at the track but that is not always the case. If you spin like crazy then yes the tires are too inflated and the contact patch is not flat enough to grip. However, if you start pushing through the brakes on the launch or you bog down to the 60' then you should try upping the tire pressure. There is no given rule or magic PSI that works so expect to adjust every time you go to the track. Ambient temps, prep that day, etc all factor into this. It's really an adjust on the fly scenario.

I wanted to record more runs and I typically make a YT video out of the day but I didn't get nearly as much content as I planned. I was having a blast and just wanted to enjoy the day.

I did manage to get some cool photos and record a run with an Audi R8 V10 so I'll drop those below. More track days to come!

Track side:

Staging:

My buddies Stage 2+ X3 M40i:

Best runs:

Last edited by BrockDM; 05-19-2022 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
Max Well4692.00
///minh564.00
leorod_rn222.50
      05-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #59
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
those are some ridiculous numbers lmao. well done!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #60
Jbh165nc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Awesome!
That poor Audi.

Newb question, “ what does push through the brakes” mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #61
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
those are some ridiculous numbers lmao. well done!
Thanks Danni! I was pretty surprised. I thought I would be in the high 10s given the DA. Guys at the track couldn't believe it haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh165nc View Post
Awesome!
That poor Audi.

Newb question, “ what does push through the brakes” mean?
Pushing through the brakes means when I go to activate launch control the car moves forward before reaching the launch RPM. Ie, the brakes can't hold strong enough to keep the car at a standstill.

The launch control on these cars are basically a brake boost (hold the brake down hard, hold the throttle until the RPM's climb to ~3000+). On the street it typically isn't an issue but on track it's quite common that you will start to roll forward even though the brakes are full depressed.
      05-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #62
SeattleX4MC
White Lightning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC

Quote:
First track day in the books!

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend a private track rental at Great Lakes Dragaway hosted by Immigrant Racing League and The Chicago Garage.

Mother Nature was not on our sides and provided toasty temps of 80-85F with a DA of roughly 2600-2800 throughout the day. Not really ideal...

My current setup:
- F80 Paul Stage 1 E60
- RK Tunes front mount intakes
- 21' BC Forged RZ01's with 265/295 Michelin PS4S
- Passenger and rear seats pulled out

My first few runs I needed to feel out the car. The track was very hot and greasy, the prep was meh.

On my initial pass I immediately pushed through the brakes when getting on launch control so I scrapped that run. My tire pressure was roughly 36F & 38R. The car was too gripped up and before I even got to 2000 RPM it was moving over the line. So I upped the tire pressure. I went to 40F & 39R.

Next few runs went much better as you can see on the slips below. The left lane seemed to hold much better than the right so that's what I stuck with most of the day. I adjusted tire pressure one more time since I did not spin and came to my final combo of 43R & 40R which managed to cut me the best 60' of the day.

A lot of people think that you must drop tire pressure at the track but that is not always the case. If you spin like crazy then yes the tires are too inflated and the contact patch is not flat enough to grip. However, if you start pushing through the brakes on the launch or you bog down to the 60' then you should try upping the tire pressure. There is no given rule or magic PSI that works so expect to adjust every time you go to the track. Ambient temps, prep that day, etc all factor into this. It's really an adjust on the fly scenario.

I wanted to record more runs and I typically make a YT video out of the day but I didn't get nearly as much content as I planned. I was having a blast and just wanted to enjoy the day.

I did manage to get some cool photos and record a run with an Audi R8 V10 so I'll drop those below. More track days to come!

Track side:

Staging:

My buddies Stage 2+ X3 M40i:

Best runs:

Awesome write up, stunning car and great 1/4 mile times for sure! Cheers!
This is the direction I am headed with mine, to make a 1/4 mile ripper. Couple of questions:
1. Are you still running the stock exhaust?
2. Have you put your car on a dyno yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #63
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleX4MC View Post
Awesome write up, stunning car and great 1/4 mile times for sure! Cheers!
This is the direction I am headed with mine, to make a 1/4 mile ripper. Couple of questions:
1. Are you still running the stock exhaust?
2. Have you put your car on a dyno yet?
Thank you! Everything is stock aside from the tune, intakes, coilovers and wheels. Stock cats, stock exhaust, stock fueling.

I have not dyno'd the car but a I know a few people running the same tune and it makes roughly 650-680whp and 610-630ft-tq
      05-18-2022, 11:30 PM   #64
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

As I said earlier on your “review” post… absolutely impressive!! Pretty damn cool progression thread. You had/have a clear vision on what you want within a platform, and are quickly achieving maximum effort. Congrats on a well thought out, and executed plan. Bad ass rig!!
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2022, 12:53 AM   #65
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Hey Brock, given the challenge of launching with the extra power, have you considered an M5 / X5M caliper upgrade?

A few of us on here have done it. If you get the right calipers (X5M) it's a bolt on job which can be done in an hour, you can swing it for less than $2000 USD too.

I bought slightly used calipers with virtually new pads and its worked a treat.
I track my X3M at the race circuit so also added ducts. The combination has worked brilliantly here (where I have to brake from 220kph to around 80kph) and it def helps hold the car when launching too.

If you do some searches the various posts on the subject will come up.

Just a note on tyre pressures too.
I have only done 3 x 1/4 mile runs with my car after the PJ tune and managed 60ft times of 1.62, 1.61 and 1.66.
All runs were done on the street using between 30 and 32 psi with the same tyre combo as you - MP4S 265 front and 295 rear.

Just some food for thought given the higher pressures you ran.

Last edited by BulkBen; 05-19-2022 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2022, 02:18 AM   #66
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Those are some solid numbers Brock. Wish I could've seen the look on the face of the R8 owner as you beat his 1/4 mile time!

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00