BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
CrzyChris5
CrzyChris5
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Passed NJ state inspection with NO cats (catless) and MHD tune

So I have a 2017 BMW X4 M40i with full bolt ons and fully catless, running MHD stage 2+ tune. Was due for inspection this month and I was stressing out being catless. I just decided to go get the inspection and see what happens, so in case I fail, I would then try other things before the month ends.

I have been on the same settings of my tune for a long time without making any changes.

I went to Richard's Service Station at 1459 Springfield Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040. Never been there before, but I opted for a private business location rather than a state run service like at the DMV. I was in and out in 10 min. My car looks heavily modded but they never asked any questions about my mods. They did not do any visual inspections and did not look under the car to see if I have cats.

Anyway, the guy connected his OBDII cable to my car then ran the program on his computer. He then went inside and came out with my new inspection sticker a few minutes later. I have a heavy tint on my front windshield as well and he helped cut out a square piece on the tint to put the sticker on the car. I already had a cutout in my tint for the old sticker, but the new stickers are much bigger so he helped widen the cut. He didn't bother me about having the tint or any other visible mods.

So I guess if you are catless and have an MHD tune then you can pass no problem. This place was about 40 min from my house and I also drove agressively there to make sure my engine and exhaust were nicely warmed up before I got there. Again, I have not played around with any settings on the MHD tune for a while. Do not clear any codes and do not reset anything, otherwise you will have to do a bunch of drive cycles to get everything back in shape.

Attached is a picture of my MHD error codes. Taken right before the inspection. I think that if your MHD readout is the same as mine, you will pass New Jersey emission testing via OBDII. Even though the readout for the Catalyst says "not available", I guess it did not make a difference. When I was done I left. They never gave me any paper showing any codes or any info as to what I passed or potentially failed. NJ does allow for 1 mistake and you can still pass. They gave me a receipt. It cost $75 for the service.
Attached Images