BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW x3

Anyone have a solution to these horrible day time running lights?

When I bought my car I assumed it came with Xenons. (my mistake I just thought a BMW came with them by default)

The orange daytime running light is ugly as hell and I don't have $1,500 to switch the headlamps out. Is there a white bulb that I can buy? Other wise I think I am just going to turn the daytime running lights off altogether.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
X3ray
Rep
Drives: X3

That's exact what I did. I have halogen without DRL. I'd rather switch it off completely as there is no point turning on all the lights in a sunny day. Or you could consider buying the bimmercode app to only enable the sidelights on as DRL. But the sidelights won't be in the full brightness. So there is no point having a half dying tea light in front of your car, cos other cars won't see your light anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:04 AM   #3
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

iv just bought some h7 led lights from eBay the units with the fan unit built in , you have to look around but they are a better light that does not throw any codes up on car ( well on mine they haven't yet) and they are a much better light giving me clearer view ahead.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
X3ray
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4gav View Post
iv just bought some h7 led lights from eBay the units with the fan unit built in , you have to look around but they are a better light that does not throw any codes up on car ( well on mine they haven't yet) and they are a much better light giving me clearer view ahead.
H7 led lights? Did you use them as dipped , main beam or DRL? Strange enough my car doesn't have DRL on a 2014 plate X3. I assume bmw just wanted us to use all of my lights as DRL, which doesn't make any sense at all
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
envisiondl
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 Xdrive28i

Yeah.. just bought a '17 and it's got those terrible yellow running lights. How can this be an option.. I had a X3 '13 and a friend with a 3 series '11 both have xenon or some type of white light as running lights.. these yellow orangeish lights are ridiculous. Also I have no backup camera? I bought mine used but it had a $45k sticker price and no backup camera? I have a friend with a Honda Fit 2015 that he paid 13k for and his wife has a mazda 6 that was around the same price.. both have backup cameras. Crazy! It's was embarrassing when they asked if it had a backup camera and I had to say no.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
Bovi444
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 370

I want to contact all my friends easily. I think it would be better than this.

สล๊อตออนไลน์
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3ray View Post
H7 led lights? Did you use them as dipped , main beam or DRL? Strange enough my car doesn't have DRL on a 2014 plate X3. I assume bmw just wanted us to use all of my lights as DRL, which doesn't make any sense at all

yes I used as dipped, haven't tried them yet in mains. the drl's are the ones in the bottom corner trims with the parking sensors and im still debating myself on what ones to go for.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3ray View Post
Quote:
yes I used as dipped, haven't tried them yet in mains. the drl's are the ones in the bottom corner trims with the parking sensors and im still debating myself on what ones to go for.
You do realise that the new MOT rules have changed in the UK as of 20th May 2018, and many lighting fixes made by users to main/dipped beam lights, using H7 LED's instead of the factory OEM halogens MAY result in an immediate fail? The immediate fail means it cannot be driven on the road until it is to the correct specification as specified in the MOT manual. Even if the MOT has still got weeks before expiry.

I have supplied the draft MOT guide below for research, but I do know that the light scatter from H7 LEDs fitted to Halogen Headlight reflectors will throw light all over the place and will most probably not have the correct beam cut off as described in Chapter 4 of the document listed below. Also you are NOT ALLOWED to fit HID Bulbs to existing Halogen units. Here is the wording...

Quote:
Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...2018-draft.pdf

Just in case you are thinking of risking things and carrying on blindly (no pun intended), below is another link that postulates what might happen if you get caught breaking the law...

New MOT rules could mean fines of up to £2,500
https://www.petrolprices.com/news/ne...es-fines-2500/

Just remember, I am passing on information to posters. Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by Peter_R; 04-08-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0