BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2018, 03:58 AM   #1
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Boot Trim Removal?

Hi All,

When I lifted my boot (trunk) the other day, I noticed a couple of water stains on the boot cover (more central, than to the far left / right when water falls from the boot itself) and then immediately saw some water trickle down between the plastic cover (at the bottom when the boot is open, where the third brake light would be).

I was able to remove part of the plastic from one side, but I was worried I would snap/break a clip as it became harder to remove. Has anyone removed this piece of plastic and was it easy to do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8215

Hope the link works. If not, go to RealOEM, get your car entered, look for trim parts, then the trunk. It'll give you a good visual of what the piece looks like inside and a better idea of how it goes together / comes apart.

Looks like it's a matter of just pulling. Specific panel trim tools (Amazon) can help, a set of plastic pry bars basically. Will get you closer to the piece to pull and make it less likely to break.
Appreciate 1
PX3139.50
      04-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_8215

Hope the link works. If not, go to RealOEM, get your car entered, look for trim parts, then the trunk. It'll give you a good visual of what the piece looks like inside and a better idea of how it goes together / comes apart.

Looks like it's a matter of just pulling. Specific panel trim tools (Amazon) can help, a set of plastic pry bars basically. Will get you closer to the piece to pull and make it less likely to break.
Thanks, the link worked.
It definitely looks as though it should just prise off, so I will give that a go this weekend.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

We just removed and reinstalled that panel to fix an LED taillight/driver in the hatch. First pop some of the fasteners along the bottom and sides of the large trim piece using plastic tools/plastic pry bars. Then loosen the trim pieces on both sides of the rear window where they interlock with the large trim piece, those are Item-6 on the RealOEM diagram, above. Then just pop all the other fasteners
A word of caution: When the panel is finally loose it will fall. Have another pair of hands ready to catch the panel when it falls. When the large panel falls it will bring with it the hatch control button and wire harness. We had to search for some of the button parts in the driveway and bushes but we got it all back together and everything works.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_Impreza View Post
We just removed and reinstalled that panel to fix an LED taillight/driver in the hatch. First pop some of the fasteners along the bottom and sides of the large trim piece using plastic tools/plastic pry bars. Then loosen the trim pieces on both sides of the rear window where they interlock with the large trim piece, those are Item-6 on the RealOEM diagram, above. Then just pop all the other fasteners
A word of caution: When the panel is finally loose it will fall. Have another pair of hands ready to catch the panel when it falls. When the large panel falls it will bring with it the hatch control button and wire harness. We had to search for some of the button parts in the driveway and bushes but we got it all back together and everything works.
An interesting read, thanks.
You mention the control button and wire harness, but is that not behind item-1 in the diagram? I am looking at removing item-7 (also ringed in my original photo shot).

Funny enough I have also carried out the LED taillight/driver fix, but it was to the outer rear light, so I was able to remove it without taking off the large panel (item-1).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
An interesting read, thanks.
You mention the control button and wire harness, but is that not behind item-1 in the diagram? I am looking at removing item-7 (also ringed in my original photo shot).
Funny enough I have also carried out the LED taillight/driver fix, but it was to the outer rear light, so I was able to remove it without taking off the large panel (item-1).
Apologies, we removed Item-1 not Item-7. The open hatch in the photo had me upside down.
Here's the fastener diagram we used:
Attached Images

Last edited by 96_Impreza; 04-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Added diagram.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I am looking at removing item-7 (also ringed in my original photo shot).
Hah, FYI that in my link, you circled item 7. In the drawing below, it has been renamed item 1. Maybe you guys are talking the same thing.

I'm confused now either way, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 03:13 AM   #8
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_Impreza View Post
Apologies, we removed Item-1 not Item-7. The open hatch in the photo had me upside down.
Here's the fastener diagram we used:
Ah, in your diagram I am referring to item 1, but in tracers link, it is item 7.
Either way, it is the narrow piece of plastic that would cover the third brake light.
So it still looks like you removed the larger piece of plastic that covers the majority of the boot.

Thanks any way.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 03:15 AM   #9
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Hah, FYI that in my link, you circled item 7. In the drawing below, it has been renamed item 1. Maybe you guys are talking the same thing.

I'm confused now either way, LOL.
I am definitely referring to item 7 in your diagram
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
I am definitely referring to item 7 in your diagram
...and it will just pry off. Last year I had a rear dash cam fitted and it sticks to it. The wire comes from behind it and I watched the fitter remove and refit the panel.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:33 AM   #11
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
...and it will just pry off. Last year I had a rear dash cam fitted and it sticks to it. The wire comes from behind it and I watched the fitter remove and refit the panel.
Thanks Peter.
Unfortunately I never got round to looking at this over the weekend, so it will have to wait until next weekend.
Appreciate 0