BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #23
derklink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

Seriously though, BMW did a great job of making the e-manual in the form of an App, which I downloaded on my iPhone and iPad. I cannot tell you how many times I need to refer back to it, and it's super easy to use and you can read it anywhere.

IDrive also has a version of the manual but I don't find it as convenient as the full version on my phone...
Agreed and thanks for mentioning the App!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #24
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I don't think anyone answered you on these yet...

There is no particulate filter for US cars as far as I know. So, no change in the exhaust burbles, pops and crackles...

Dynamic instrument is a mostly digital dash that can change appearance based on Drive modes. I personally like it very much vs the standard instrument cluster that is more traditional (but still has some digital features mixed in, I believe)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #25
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't think anyone answered you on these yet...

There is no particulate filter for US cars as far as I know. So, no change in the exhaust burbles, pops and crackles...

Dynamic instrument is a mostly digital dash that can change appearance based on Drive modes. I personally like it very much vs the standard instrument cluster that is more traditional (but still has some digital features mixed in, I believe)
Cool, thanks for letting me know! No, nobody picked up on those questions yet, everybody was focused on Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #26
therealtk
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisher13 View Post
Agree 100%. I picked up a 19 M40i a few weeks ago in carbon. Family and friends all comment on it.
+1 lots of comments on the color - a pain to keep clean but worth it. The color gets even better with a paint correction/polish and ceramic coat (check the #x3m40i on instagram).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Quote:

Seriously though, BMW did a great job of making the e-manual in the form of an App, which I downloaded on my iPhone and iPad. I cannot tell you how many times I need to refer back to it, and it's super easy to use and you can read it anywhere.

IDrive also has a version of the manual but I don't find it as convenient as the full version on my phone...
Agreed and thanks for mentioning the App!
I spent quite some time waiting for my car, reading the app. Got my vin early, so I could tailor the app to my car.

And grey is okay. Dirt doesn't show much on it. ;-)
      01-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool, thanks for letting me know! No, nobody picked up on those questions yet, everybody was focused on Carbon Black
If you can wait, I would order an M40i with Drivers Assist. The 2019 that you’re looking at will have collision avoidance and blind spot monitoring, but no adaptive cruise. I bought mine off the showroom floor (11% off MSRP and high book on trade in) and I regret it. I don’t have either DA package, no Adaptive suspension and no carbon black; it’s AW. I love detailing cars with metallic paint.
Maybe I’ll go for a X3M next year...and get it exactly the way I want it.
Good luck and congrats in advance. 😊
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #29
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
If you can wait, I would order an M40i with Drivers Assist. The 2019 that you’re looking at will have collision avoidance and blind spot monitoring, but no adaptive cruise. I bought mine off the showroom floor (11% off MSRP and high book on trade in) and I regret it. I don’t have either DA package, no Adaptive suspension and no carbon black; it’s AW. I love detailing cars with metallic paint.
Maybe I’ll go for a X3M next year...and get it exactly the way I want it.
Good luck and congrats in advance. ��
Thanks! 11% and high book on trade in does not sound bad, congrats! I have adaptive cruise in my Mustang and I think I used it a handful of times, not a must have for me but of course is already becoming the new standard even with Corollas having it now.

X3M will be a beast and more power to you if you can swing it. To me, the M40i will be perfect, love the sleeper aspect about it and will probably de-badge.

One (minor) thing that kinda annoys me about the Mustang is that (at least where I live) people constantly want to "race" me...Camaros of course, Hondas, Audi S Versions, even freakin' mini vans. I know that some probably just want to hear the V8 exhaust roar (I have a Corsa Sport catback on it and it sounds fantastic) but there have been plenty of encounters where idiots were tailgating me, pulling up next to me revving their engines, looking over etc. About 90% of the time I ignore them but sometimes I get so annoyed that I just put the hammer down to get away from them. With the M40i, especially de-badged, people will leave me alone I guess and think "boring Euro soccer mom suv". On the other hand, it'll probably be hilarious to surprise some tailgating idiots or wannabes at traffic lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #30
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! 11% and high book on trade in does not sound bad, congrats! I have adaptive cruise in my Mustang and I think I used it a handful of times, not a must have for me but of course is already becoming the new standard even with Corollas having it now.

X3M will be a beast and more power to you if you can swing it. To me, the M40i will be perfect, love the sleeper aspect about it and will probably de-badge.

One (minor) thing that kinda annoys me about the Mustang is that (at least where I live) people constantly want to "race" me...Camaros of course, Hondas, Audi S Versions, even freakin' mini vans. I know that some probably just want to hear the V8 exhaust roar (I have a Corsa Sport catback on it and it sounds fantastic) but there have been plenty of encounters where idiots were tailgating me, pulling up next to me revving their engines, looking over etc. About 90% of the time I ignore them but sometimes I get so annoyed that I just put the hammer down to get away from them. With the M40i, especially de-badged, people will leave me alone I guess and think "boring Euro soccer mom suv". On the other hand, it'll probably be hilarious to surprise some tailgating idiots or wannabes at traffic lights.
Oh you’ll have fun putting the hammer down in the sport plus mode, with or without someone tailgating. The car is amazing, and unlike the 5.0 Coyote motor, there’s no ticking noises coming from the motor. I had a 5.0 in a F150, and it had the dreaded typewriter tic. Take your time on this order, there’s lots of choices on dealer lots in So Cal. Get carbon black and don’t look back like I am.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #31
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Kinda torn between Carbon Black and Glacier Silver, which would be super easy to maintain. Carbon Black comes with Cognac though, which I really like. Silver with Black. Decisions, decisions...thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #32
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Kinda torn between Carbon Black and Glacier Silver, which would be super easy to maintain. Carbon Black comes with Cognac though, which I really like. Silver with Black. Decisions, decisions...thoughts?
Ever consider Custom ordering so you can get Silver/Cognac?

I have enough trouble keeping my Phytonic Blue clean in this Winter here in MidWest, so Silver would be my second choice after blue...

Go down the option lists for both cars in the dealer lot and see if other options will tilt the decision one way or another.

At the end, if both cars are similarly equipped, then you should be ok either way. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      01-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #33
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Have carbon black with Cognac. Love the combo!

Carbon is difficult to keep clean. Especially here in Sweden during the winter. Summer was much easier.

Concerning the adaptive suspension, I have it and must say I'm not impressed as everuone else is. I could have gone without.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #34
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you, guys! I'm swinging by the dealership today and will look at them in the flesh and see which one speaks more to me. usually, when I get a new car, the exterior color is the first thing that I settle on and have no problems choosing. This time its really hard cause I don't "love" any of the choices. The color I had on most of my cars (regardless of brand), was in the space gray area. I've had one blue BMW long time ago but it was just a flat navy blue and I wasn't really in love with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #35
Cobstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

Quote:
This time its really hard cause I don't "love" any of the choices. The color I had on most of my cars (regardless of brand), was in the space gray area. I've had one blue BMW long time ago but it was just a flat navy blue and I wasn't really in love with it.
derklink, I’m with you on the poor colour choice on the X3. The SO has an F25 X3 in space grey and the colour really suits her. Sparkling Graphite was fab on the SO’s old 123d and I think would look good on the new X3. But Sophisto Grey seems browner to my eyes. I’m leaning towards Glacier Silver if I do go down the M40i route but not convince by grille colour combination.

Had an amazing Valencia Orange 125i and have always loved the look of Estoril blue on the smaller BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #36
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobstar View Post
derklink, I’m with you on the poor colour choice on the X3. The SO has an F25 X3 in space grey and the colour really suits her. Sparkling Graphite was fab on the SO’s old 123d and I think would look good on the new X3. But Sophisto Grey seems browner to my eyes. I’m leaning towards Glacier Silver if I do go down the M40i route but not convince by grille colour combination.

Had an amazing Valencia Orange 125i and have always loved the look of Estoril blue on the smaller BMWs.
Agreed Is the Sophisto Grey the Dark Graphite? I like greys a lot but the Dark Graphite is just super dark and looks kind of depressing
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #37
Cobstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

Quote:
Agreed Is the Sophisto Grey the Dark Graphite? I like greys a lot but the Dark Graphite is just super dark and looks kind of depressing
I think Dark Graphite and Sophisto Grey are different paint codes. I think I could live with Sparkling Graphite but not convinced by Sophisto. Some of the M special paint greys would be nice
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #38
CINCYFAN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 & G05

Garage List
Quote:
This would be an easy choice for me as I hate black interiors...that said, I have dark graphite over cognac and it looks great. I get a lot of comments. I also would have considered either black exterior option but ended up ordering and getting everything I wanted.

Oh and I highly recommend ordering what you want if they don't have it on the lot...assuming you have the time. It's a great process.
​​​​​​​
Life is short, drive what you want.

Last edited by CINCYFAN; 01-25-2019 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #39
SC11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Maybe in the minority but I prefer plain black so went sapphire, but CB is still an amazing chameleon like colour.

Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      01-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #40
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Can't make up my mind over the darn color Just came back from dealer and test drove/looked at a couple. Silver is kinda meh, but a safe choice (low maintenance, doesn't heat up that much), Phytonic looked nice on a 30i (but no M40i available) and not sure if I would get tired of it over time...leaves good old Carbon Black...looks more elegant than sporty, timeless, could see dirt on it very well of course, somewhat expected it to pop a little more in direct sunlight, seemed quite dark overall. Sales guy said they provide free car washes for life and that I could take it home over night to see if I liked it sitting in my driveway and look at it more. Politely declined to take it home cause I felt like I could force myself to like it. Maybe should reconsider and "borrow" it, I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #41
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I love Carbon Black.....but the dirt/dust thing just kills it for me. Had an M3 in carbon Black and it was a nightmare to keep clean and it really got old - having to see dust on it 3 days after a hard polish or clean. The darker colors hide the lines a little more on the X3. It has such nice lines and Silver shows them off really well.
      01-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #42
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Like the others have said, Carbon is a beautiful color but a pain to maintain. I had a Jerez Black M3 that was stunning when clean and under lights. I got tired of that labor of love though, the paint swirls drove me nuts the most. If you go with Carbon Black, I'd get the paint coated.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #43
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Glacier Silver for the win Mine starts at post #20
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563745
      01-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #44
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Ladies and Gentlemen, after a night with only little sleep and a day full of surprises, I pulled the trigger on a new 2019 M40i. Due to a coincidence, I ended up with what I now consider 99% accurate with how I would have ordered it. Phytonic on Cognac with Rhombicle trim and a good deal on top. What more do you want? Think us folks in the U.S. are very lucky to be able to get these at reasonable prices. Will take delivery Monday or Tuesday. Will dearly miss the "Stang" but right decision to try something else and the sound of the M40i ain't too shabby. Thank you all for hanging with me! :-)
Appreciate 0