BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
derklink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Anyone regret getting Carbon Black? (Also some general questions about the X3)

Hi all,

Today I test drove a 2018 X3 M40i and had a blast. This thing is a rocket. I'm coming from a Mustang GT 5.0 which is not exactly slow but the X3 felt like a catapult. Sold. I'm eyeing a 2019 X3 M40i that the dealer has on the lot. It doesn't have the Executive Package or the Driving Assist Plus Package. It also "only" has the 19 inch wheels. But that is all ok with me. The cognac interior is absolutely beautiful.

The only thing I'm still thinking about is the exterior color. Dark Graphite is too dark of a grey for my taste, Phytonic blue is nice but I think I would get tired of it, white is not an option because we already have 2 white cars, Saphire Black is too black, and that Sunstone (or whatever is called) is just not my cup of tea. leaves Carbon black, which I find somehow interesting or silver, which looks good on this particular vehicle. Just wanted to see what your opinions are on these colors? I know highly subjective but especially interested in hearing from people that got Carbon Black and how they like it, how hard it is to keep clean etc.

The other thing I was wondering about is whether the 2019s in the U.S. also received that "particle filter" which allegedly takes away from the exhaust sound (which I loved in the 2018 I test drove) as is rumored for the European models?

And lastly, what is the difference between the "normal" instrument cluster and the "Dynamic Digital" instrument cluster?

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

I find silver to wash out the look of the x3. Just personally, like the color but not on the m40i. Do you garage your car? I would always get a black car if I had that garage option.

So beautiful

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
drknight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive30i M-Sport

Just picked up a Carbon Black yesterday. I love how it’s sometimes looks deep blue and sometimes it looks black. Very happy with my choice.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have a garage option. I think the dark colors "swallow" the lines more but look more elegant, too. Silver is a very "technical" color and shows the lines well but its kinda meh and looks a little mismatched with the bronze-ish accents. Leaning towards Carbon Black.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknight View Post
Just picked up a Carbon Black yesterday. I love how it’s sometimes looks deep blue and sometimes it looks black. Very happy with my choice.
Yeah, that also captured me, it's an interesting color and looks very elegant with the cognac interior. I just never had such a dark color on a car. and wonder if it is a nightmare to keep clean. Congrats on your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

I have carbon black and I would definitely purchase that colour again

Yes, it's a pain to keep clean (no worse than sapphire black). But when it is clean, the deep rich colour looks amazing. Dark blue in the sun and pretty much black at night. The color compliments the dk grey/black msport trim really well

My friends and family always comment on how much they like the colour
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      01-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
efisher13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2019 X3 M 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post

Yes, it's a pain to keep clean (no worse than sapphire black). But when it is clean, the deep rich colour looks amazing. Dark blue in the sun and pretty much black at night. The color compliments the dk grey/black msport trim really well

Agree 100%. I picked up a 19 M40i a few weeks ago in carbon. Family and friends all comment on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post

Sounds good! I don't mind keeping it clean to some level but don't want to have to wash it on a weekly basis
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Another quick question: do all M40is have Sport and Sport plus? I only pushed the Sport button on the center console and it went right into sport plus. Is the Sport "only" available in the infotainment system?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #10
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Carbon Black is BEAUTIFUL - when its clean. I've had 2 M3's in black and they are gorgeous when clean but after 3 days the dust shows and it annoys me.....I got the Glacier Silver X3 with Cognac interior....lemme tell you, everyone. Literally everyone who has seen my car is totally impressed. I personally think it is the perfect combo. EASY to maintain as well..You don't see the swirl marks later on and don't have to worry about the dust as much.

I have the 30i, BUT if you're getting the M40i, definitely get the "M Adaptive Suspension" - TOTALLY worth it. On my 30i the equivalent is the "Dynamic Handling PKG". It rocks. I was supposed to get the EXEC PKG as well, but I'm fine without it.

With 15mm Spacers Installed:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...B4Y8OZJTc3ppxE

Just a great thread of Glacier Silver (mine starts at post #20)
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563745

And BTW - the 20 inch rims (699 style) are way better than the 21s, in my opinion. Good contrast of silver, grey and black.
Not to mention they are way more comfortable on a daily basis - and LOOK GREAT with 15mm Spacers :-)

Enjoy!

Last edited by SROC3; 01-21-2019 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #11
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Carbon Black is BEAUTIFUL - when its clean. I've had 2 M3's in black and they are gorgeous when clean but after 3 days the dust shows and it annoys me.....I got the Glacier Silver X3 with Cognac interior....lemme tell you, everyone. Literally everyone who has seen my car is totally impressed. I personally think it is the perfect combo. EASY to maintain as well..You don't see the swirl marks later on and don't have to worry about the dust as much.

I have the 30i, BUT if you're getting the M40i, definitely get the "M Adaptive Suspension" - TOTALLY worth it. On my 30i the equivalent is the "Dynamic Handling PKG". It rocks. I was supposed to get the EXEC PKG as well, but I'm fine without it.

With 15mm Spacers Installed:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...B4Y8OZJTc3ppxE

Just a great thread of Glacier Silver (mine starts at post #20)
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563745

And BTW - the 20 inch rims (699 style) are way better than the 21s, in my opinion. Good contrast of silver, grey and black.
Not to mention they are way more comfortable on a daily basis - and LOOK GREAT with 15mm Spacers :-)

Enjoy!
Thank you, looks great!! The silver that one dealer has here is black on the inside and I gotta have cognac :-) Think I will take a stab at Carbon. Thanks for pointing out adaptive suspension. I don't think I'll need it. The 18 I test drove today had 21" and no adaptive suspension and I thought it wasn't too hard at all. The one I'm eyeing even only has 19" (might use them as winter tires and get something aftermarket in gunmetal and bigger for the summer) and that will probably soften it up a little. Well, waiting on the numbers now and will see if I can make a deal with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #12
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Thank you, looks great!! The silver that one dealer has here is black on the inside and I gotta have cognac :-) Think I will take a stab at Carbon. Thanks for pointing out adaptive suspension. I don't think I'll need it. The 18 I test drove today had 21" and no adaptive suspension and I thought it wasn't too hard at all. The one I'm eyeing even only has 19" (might use them as winter tires and get something aftermarket in gunmetal and bigger for the summer) and that will probably soften it up a little. Well, waiting on the numbers now and will see if I can make a deal with them.
Cool man - Good luck and let us know!!!! the X3 family rocks!
      01-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #13
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
Just do it!

And yes it can be a nightmare if you are obsessed with keeping you cars clean.

Have had 2 black cars in the past and this is the second go round for me with Carbon Black...the first was an E46 M3 (back in the day) and I told myself I would never do another black (dark) car again ... yet I did it once again! That being said it is a beautiful color combination...it gets compliments all the time. Some times it looks black and sometimes it’s bark blue! Only have had it for a few weeks now and very happy with it. Have an appointment for ceramic coating and I’m hopeful that will help with paint maintence.

Here is a teaser pic...
Attached Images

| Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 3
SROC31702.00
ando2002.00
Cobstar40.50
      01-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #14
Jcrane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoMobilia View Post
Just do it!

Have had 2 black cars in the past and this is the second go round for me with Carbon Black...the first was an E46 M3 (back in the day) and I told myself I would never do another black (dark) car again ... yet I did it once again! That being said it is a beautiful color combination...it gets compliments all the time. Some times it looks black and sometimes it’s bark blue! Only have had it for a few weeks now and very happy with it. Have an appointment for ceramic coating and I’m hopeful that will help with paint maintence.

Here is a teaser pic...
I picked up my M40i in carbon black with oyster on the weekend and love it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ando2002.00
      01-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #15
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoMobilia View Post
Just do it!

Here is a teaser pic...
Very nice. How much was the coating cost approximately. Looking into this

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #16
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I have no regrets with my Carbon Black.
I was disappointed with the available colours for the X3, and came out of a Black Sapphire F30, so was a bit ........"Not another black car"

But I've been pleasantly surprised at how often it looks blue!!. I thought it would look black most of the time, but it definitely looks blue the majority of time! Even in the darker winter months!!
      01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benandluna View Post
Very nice. How much was the coating cost approximately. Looking into this
There are different levels. I picked middle one at 800. and paint correction prior to coating at 400. Pricy although I am hopeful it works. Coating glass, wheels and brake calipers should help as well.

Product is called “Cerimic Pro” https://ceramicpro.com/ceramic-coati...s-ceramic-pro/
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Nice pics, thank you! And I guess ceramic coating makes sense
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
TC_G01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Another quick question: do all M40is have Sport and Sport plus? I only pushed the Sport button on the center console and it went right into sport plus. Is the Sport "only" available in the infotainment system?
Keep hitting the sport button to cycle through all 3 options (Sport, Sport Plus, Sport Individual).
      01-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_G01 View Post
Quote:
Keep hitting the sport button to cycle through all 3 options (Sport, Sport Plus, Sport Individual).
LOL - cut him some slack, he has not even bought the car yet...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #21
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Hahahaha, thanks! Even when I get it, I don't think I will
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #22
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Hahahaha, thanks! Even when I get it, I don't think I will

Seriously though, BMW did a great job of making the e-manual in the form of an App, which I downloaded on my iPhone and iPad. I cannot tell you how many times I need to refer back to it, and it's super easy to use and you can read it anywhere.

IDrive also has a version of the manual but I don't find it as convenient as the full version on my phone...
Appreciate 0